PDA

View Full Version : Who here has actually found their perfect setup?

ace of spades
09-10-2006, 09:47 AM
I have been trying to reah my perfect setup for years. This includes a racket that I am perfectly happy with and play best with, lead places in all the right places for me, swingweight just right, strings and tension that is perfect for my game, right gripshape, ect. the list goes on. Not even some pros have found their perfect setup. Have you? And how long did it take you to find it?

anirut
09-10-2006, 03:55 PM
Yes, for me ...

Took me sometimes after learning from T-jam.

MTChong
09-10-2006, 04:29 PM
Well, I am using a PK Redondo Mid and I am very happy with it; but there's always a frame where I'll like certain spects more but not others. For instance, I recently acquired a Dunlop Max 500i - great for groundies, but I have trouble serving with it. Overall though, I've never hit with anything better than the Redondo Mid - the Vantage 90 came close (but what hurts that is that it is a bit stiffer and the strings broke too quickly)

jackson vile
09-10-2006, 04:55 PM
IMO you have to wake up in order to find it and open your mind.

First thing is that people have an assumption that they will find some racket that will make them play amazingly well all of a sudden.

Next is that people go about finding the right racket for them the wrong way.

What I did was take a good look at other players that either played like me or how I wanted to, next I asked myself what more I wanted from a racket.

You make up a list of what you want/need and what type of racket you see being used for your type of game.

Now you have something to base your demos on instead of randomly picking rackets.

And the final is that, no racket will be just right off the shelf for you, you will have to mod the racket, and as you get better, older, or as your game changes you will need to make different modifications and perhaps even switch rackets again.

I was dead set on the LMPrestige MP, I play great I bought 5 of them and was set, well I had some players rackets laying around and used them while my main rackets were getting restrung.

All of a sudden I found that I could hand these rackets so much better and I got far better results, that was the PC600.

But then I did not like how the PC600 did not give me the grip and spin that open string pattern did and was tired of having to crank the living ***** out of the ball to get the spin I wanted fromt he prestige family.

Behold the tnt-90, open string pattern, high control, very simular flexibility as PC600, but it was still not right, I had to add lead ect until I reached 13.5oz with the blance, stability, whip, and swing weight that I wanted.

Those are not magic numbers that I wanted to go for and I did not want the racket that heavy, but what I found is that my presumption where incorrect and that racket with those mod was exactly what I was looking for.

Then after that you can fight with string type and tension LOL:mrgreen:

jackson vile
09-10-2006, 04:58 PM
Also I want to add the better I have gotten the better all rackets feel and work in general, so all those times that you think it is your racket, do remember that it is most likely you!

Bogie
09-10-2006, 04:58 PM
i just recently found my perfect setup in the tecnifibre t-fight 335 18x20. my rdx 500 mid was just lacking a certain something, but as soon as i tried the 335, i was completely sold. perfectly suits my game.

Amone
09-10-2006, 05:00 PM
I, myself, never will. If I did, I'd get tired of it within a few months. But having not found it, I'm happy looking, being a born tinker. However, if there's one guy I'd bet either has or will soon, it's Travlerajm. ;p

Thank God for E Bay

dunlopjew
09-10-2006, 05:02 PM
i found my perfect setup about 5 months ago in the mfil 300's. most amazing sticks i've ever used. only problem was they were a bit too light at 10.9 strung so i put 0.5 ounces in the handle and 0.2 in the throat, plus some headtape also added weight around the head. as of right now its around 12 ounces with a yonex super grap overgrip, lead, head tape, dunlop dampener, etc. and feels perfect. customized, its by far the best racquet out there for me. was thinking about the pure storm, rds 001 mp, and the pure control but the 300's got me. i'm not going to be switching for some time.

maverick66
09-10-2006, 05:06 PM
i switched rackets about every 2 months until i bought a bunch of fischer pro tours. i went through a dunlop muscle weave 200, then slazenger pro braid,dunlop 300g then head lm prestige, to the dunlop m-fil 200g. liked all these rackets but i got bored with them or found a reason i didnt like them anymore. then i got some fischer pro tours and added anough lead tape to make slightly head heavy and around 12.5 ounces. now i love it for everything.

nViATi
09-10-2006, 05:45 PM
Yes I have. Fortunately for the racquet makers, I have only one of it and it's been discontinued. I'll be on the search for a new racquet soon. Grrrr! :lol:

T_S_N
09-10-2006, 06:49 PM
I found the APD with pro hurricane and xcel, strung at 53, with wilson pro overgrip

snoflewis
09-10-2006, 06:58 PM
i found my perfect setup but at first i didnt really like it. i've demoed countless rackets, traded a lot, and bought a lot, but in the end, i finally stuck w/ what i had and was very happy w/ it. the last racket i bought was the rds001 midsize but i kept playing w/ my mp tour-1 98s because they felt really good. however, after breaking the strings that came w/ it and not being able to find a perfect setup, i decided to use the rds001s which did not have a good string setup for me at that time. i let my friend keep using it because he apparently liked it more than i did and eventually i cut out the strings and restrung it w/ the crosses 1 lb higher (58/56 w/ syn gut). after that, it made a huge difference and i loved the setup....still keep it at that same setup today. no lead, just a vibe dampener and an overgrip.

AJK1
09-10-2006, 07:01 PM
Yes, i stopped reading and taking the wrong advice from posters on this board, rang the gurus of racquet setup in Sydney, and made my racquet the best stick i've used in about 1hr of work. I'm very happy with it.

c_zimma
09-10-2006, 07:03 PM
i found my perfect setup about 5 months ago in the mfil 300's. most amazing sticks i've ever used. only problem was they were a bit too light at 10.9 strung so i put 5 ounces in the handle and 2 in the throat, plus some headtape also added weight around the head. as of right now its around 12 ounces with a yonex super grap overgrip, lead, head tape, dunlop dampener, etc. and feels perfect. customized, its by far the best racquet out there for me. was thinking about the pure storm, rds 001 mp, and the pure control but the 300's got me. i'm not going to be switching for some time.

Yeah, I think your numbers may have gotten mixed up. I love my PS 95 with lead at 10 & 2. Thats the best I've hit with.

tennis-skater
09-10-2006, 07:06 PM
dunlopjew i found my perfect setup about 5 months ago in the mfil 300's. most amazing sticks i've ever used. only problem was they were a bit too light at 10.9 strung so i put 5 ounces in the handle and 2 in the throat, plus some headtape also added weight around the head. as of right now its around 12 ounces with a yonex super grap overgrip, lead, head tape, dunlop dampener, etc. and feels perfect. customized, its by far the best racquet out there for me. was thinking about the pure storm, rds 001 mp, and the pure control but the 300's got me. i'm not going to be switching for some time.
thatd make your racket about 18 ounces i think you meant 0.5 anyways if it is 18 ounces jeez my shoulder would wanna fall off and run away

ace of spades
09-10-2006, 07:23 PM
What I have right now I think is great. But there is a lot of stuff out there, so I may never know.:(
Sometimes it is best to get something you like, maybe tweak with some lead, and adjust.
"love the one you're with".

AngeloDS
09-10-2006, 07:33 PM
Yes, I've found my perfect setup. I'm sticking with it for years and most likely decades to come :).

DANMAN
09-10-2006, 09:17 PM
I've found it. I just switched from the Pure Drive + to the Aeropro Control +. I have lost no spin and have not had to adapt to a different feel, but I have added stability from the extra weight. The SW is identical to the PD+ per Babolat's racket inserts. THe APC+, while feeling stiff on groundies, actually seems to flex ideally on volleys...a mystery I cannot explain. The sheer weight makes serving bombs like the PD+ easy as well. This Babolat is pushing the powerful end of the player's spectrum. I also love the thin racket head beam, and the aero throat was not difficult at all to adjust to.

Will888
09-10-2006, 10:12 PM
I havnt found mine and I hope to find it in my new racquet tomorrow!

snoflewis
09-10-2006, 10:28 PM
I havnt found mine and I hope to find it in my new racquet tomorrow!

what don't you like about the n6.1 tour 90? and what racket are you trying out?

Will888
09-10-2006, 10:35 PM
what don't you like about the n6.1 tour 90? and what racket are you trying out?

O I love the ncode 90, but it's giving me shoulder and elbow problems for a while and now I'm switching to yonex rds 001 which is flexible and good for shoulder pain. But the 90 is a great racquet no doubt.

Bogie
09-10-2006, 10:55 PM
i found my perfect setup about 5 months ago in the mfil 300's. most amazing sticks i've ever used. only problem was they were a bit too light at 10.9 strung so i put 5 ounces in the handle and 2 in the throat, plus some headtape also added weight around the head. as of right now its around 12 ounces with a yonex super grap overgrip, lead, head tape, dunlop dampener, etc. and feels perfect. customized, its by far the best racquet out there for me. was thinking about the pure storm, rds 001 mp, and the pure control but the 300's got me. i'm not going to be switching for some time.

just minor fyi, i think you meant to say 5 grams, not ounces

dunlopjew
09-10-2006, 10:57 PM
wow you guys here are really observant. yes i meant to say 0.5 but i wasn't really paying attentionwhen i wrote it.

Punisha
09-11-2006, 03:15 AM
wow you guys here are really observant. yes i meant to say 0.5 but i wasn't really paying attentionwhen i wrote it.

i doubt they were paying much attention.... that much weight would knock someone outta coma.

Thor
09-11-2006, 07:40 AM
did'nt find,im actually switching racquets now.
i really dont understand the vibe about a "perfect setup",put your time and effort in training and not fancy formulas for making your ravquet "perfect".
i do believe that the proper racquet which suits your style can help,but this is rediculous...