PDA

View Full Version : 1hbh Problem!!1

darknight08
09-10-2006, 08:48 AM
I have noticed when i have time for a 1HBH, its really solid with good pace and good angles. But two situations are killing it and ruinning EVERYTHING!!1

WHAT DO YOU DO ON THE RUN!!1?

and

What do you do when its a topspinned ball close to ur feet???

Jonny S&V
09-10-2006, 08:57 AM
What do you do on the run?
A. slice it hard (it's very easy to do on the run)
B. hit a floating slice it if they don't come in
C. lob it
D. go for broke, topspin down the line
I would go with options B or C, both high percentage shots
What do you do when the ball is hit at your feet loaded with topspin?
A. half-volley it
B. lean in with your shoulder and slice and come in (your shot will have an absolute crazy amount of backspin that it will be EXTREMELY hard for your opponent to handle it)
C. run around and hit a forehand on the rise
D. back up and hit it on the rise
I would STRONGLY suggest options B or D. You also don't have to follow option B into the net (if you don't like the net).

varuscelli
09-10-2006, 09:06 AM
I have noticed when i have time for a 1HBH, its really solid with good pace and good angles. But two situations are killing it and ruinning EVERYTHING!!1

WHAT DO YOU DO ON THE RUN!!1?

Hitting on the run is fun with a one-handed backhand. Must be a personal sense of timing and feel for body position/body movement relative to ball speed and position at contact. Iíve never hit with anything but a one-handed backhand, but I'd think that a two-handed backhand would be even more difficult on the run.

Plus...it really depends on what you mean by "on the run." If you mean "desperately" on the run, then you don't have an easy answer. You slice it back to the best of your ability (or whatever shot you can, depending on how much racquet you can get on the ball).

If you just mean a standard on-the-run-shot, then it's back to what I said about personal sense of timing. You work it 'til you feel comfortable with it. For instance, borrow a ball machine and set yourself up for forced on-the-run backhand shots and practice them over and over until you feel more comfortable with your timing -- and perhaps with someone critiquing your shots while you're doing it. Or, get someone to help you with on-the-run backhand drills by feeding balls to you on court.

But I dunno...that's just sort of my take based on the phrasing of the question. ;)

AngeloDS
09-10-2006, 09:31 AM
On the run, I wrist flick or slice it back. If it's too far away for me as I was dragged from one side to the other; wrist flick cross court short angles for the winner or wrist flick lob.

If it's not too far, I just slice it back. Wait until I get my chance to hit a topspin one handed backhand.

Close to the feet -> open face & out in front, block it back.

You have to be patient and know when to use the shots.

darknight08
09-10-2006, 10:50 AM
What do you do on the run?
A. slice it hard (it's very easy to do on the run)
B. hit a floating slice it if they don't come in
C. lob it
D. go for broke, topspin down the line
I would go with options B or C, both high percentage shots
What do you do when the ball is hit at your feet loaded with topspin?
A. half-volley it
B. lean in with your shoulder and slice and come in (your shot will have an absolute crazy amount of backspin that it will be EXTREMELY hard for your opponent to handle it)
C. run around and hit a forehand on the rise
D. back up and hit it on the rise
I would STRONGLY suggest options B or D. You also don't have to follow option B into the net (if you don't like the net).

Thanks man great tips,

but i want to know how you can hit an solid flat/topspin balls under those situations?

Geezer Guy
09-15-2006, 12:47 PM
When chasing down a backhand on the run, be sure you angle-in to the ball - don't run parallel to the baseline. Be sure you step toward the net with your right foot as you swing. Don't step across (toward the sideline). This will let you step into the ball and drive it either cross-court or down-the-line.