PDA

View Full Version : How to return a wierd drop backhand slice???

Nextman916
09-10-2006, 10:39 AM
I play this kid alot at my club and he has a very wierd backhand slice, but its strangely effective, he has a 2hbh but for some reason he always does this wierd slice when jammed up on the backhand side. He basically just drops his raquet when making contact and it sails slowly to my side of the court, however it has massive backspin and when it drops on my side of the court it spins back towards him. What makes it so hard to return it is because its so damn consistant, it always lands in and at an angle deep in my left side of the court(my backhand side). Ive tried to volley it but its so high and deep that it makes it very tough, im good at overheads but not when its at an angle so that i have to run around the shot almost like a inside out to do it.

The only think ive come up with is to just tap it back to his side with either backhand or forehand, mostly forehand because its very tough with a 1hbh when its backspin is moving away from you. Ive tried to really rip the shot but it lands out because im going for too much, and topspin is next to impossible when the balls backspin is pulling towards him. So i really need some help...any suggestions guys??? Also another factor is sometimes he actually leans into his slice and hits a normal slice that dips low....making it so hard to read and throws me off. I really want to fix this problem because his backhand side is clearly the weaker side of the two, and if i overcome this obstacle i can win very easily, btw i beat him anyways but its really annoying. thx.

DragonFly
09-10-2006, 12:28 PM
You can't beat that shot... he's Fuji Syusuke... haha.

all joking aside. If it's as slow as you say, hit an inside out forehand.

Amone
09-10-2006, 01:03 PM
My suggestion wouldn't be to overhead it, or volley it, or take it out of the air or whatever, but to just push it back. I mean, if you can smack it, smack it, but if you're limited in your options, push. An overhead or a volley, it'll just throw you off, and land in the net.

Nexus
09-10-2006, 02:17 PM
Sounds like a fun shot. Is it similar to a two handed backhand slice?

It also sounds like this particular shot makes you feel as though you've a lot of time until the shot actually hits the ground. Volleying anything with spin has always been tough for me, so you might want to stay away from it.

In short, use your footwork and experience to predict how the spin is going to take it's course, then set up and rip another backhand at him. Maybe slice it back crosscourt to his backhand if you can. It's kind of tough to slice a slice, but if you can do it, the ball ends up with all sorts of funky spin.

So, get there, then hit back to his backhand. Hit it short and low. Make him run, struggle, or hustle to the ball. Maybe he'll pop it up. Then put the volley away, assuming his shot brought you to the net.

There's too many things to consider. In any case, footwork and pressure to the backhand should make the shot break, unless he's beyond solid as a player.

Nextman916
09-10-2006, 03:37 PM
These are good suggestions, nexus's especially, i do have alot of time to hit the shot but its not a complete floater. Its hard to volley because like i said it sits very high and deep so by the time i made some sort of volley contact it would be past the service line, probably in between the middle of the baseline. Overhead is same problem, its hard to hit when at an agle to begin with but from that far back....i dont think i can find the confidence. Slicing his slice sounds easy enough but like i said his slice backspins to him, so slicing it is awkwards and lots of times lands in the net. I guess when i think about it there really isnt much to do, other than what was already suggested....Anyway of practicing this shot??? Nobody i know hits a shot like this.

HyperHorse
09-10-2006, 05:37 PM
What i would try to do is pressure him to hit this shot, and when he does, charge the net!!!!
Nail the volley deep into a corner, hope that sets up an easy overhead which you should annihilate.

Bagumbawalla
09-10-2006, 06:32 PM
I was already a pretty good tennis player when I started learning racketball form this guy. He had a (now, I know, quite common) shot that ricocheted back and forth across the rear corners. After he did it about half a dozen times, I got the idea to disregaurd my instinct and started turning to where I knew the ball was going to go.

That's the first thing you need to do. LEARN FROM EXPERIENCE.

Once you get to where the ball is and you are set up, treat it like a dropshot. You say the ball goes up, but it will come back down. Strike it in the air with a shortened swing or a volley. Hit it into the court somewhere he isn't.

Having said that, the answer really depends on your ultimate goals. There are lots of players who ask very similar questions. They want to get one simple answer that will solve their problem. If all you want is to go out a few times a year and play this guy with a "wierd" stroke, then some of these suggestions might work for you.

If you are more serious about the game you need to work on your overall tennis skills, possibly take some lessons. When you are confident in your overal stroke production you will find it easier to deal with almost any oddball shot they can throw at you.

Good luck,

B

snoflewis
09-10-2006, 06:39 PM
so if i read it correctly, the ball has a lot of backspin so when it bounces, it bounces towards the net....i actually do this too (lol) but i can also mix it up w/ a traditional slice or just a backspin slice.

if you know that the ball is coming w/ that kind of spin, you should definitely be prepared for the bounce. the best thing to do would be to hit it asap off the bounce. i've also found that standing right next to the ball when it bounces is effective, since it bounces forward and you can wait until it is far enough in front of you to hit it. in terms of spin, i would definitely try to hit w/ a little more topspin. the ball is already spinning toward the net, so a little extra topspin wouldnt hurt in getting the ball over the net and in the court.

moxio
09-10-2006, 08:14 PM
My backhand can be very similar, but I only use it as a "last resort" (IE when I can only barely reach the ball and need to buy time). I am not sure why he uses it all the time, but I guess if it works than why not?

Remember, keep your eye on the ball. The biggest disadvantage I think is it ruins the pace, so you might want to push if you have trouble generating your own.

tennis_hand
09-11-2006, 07:54 PM
if it is only with backspin, you just prepare your position well and hit with lots of top spin upwards to get it over the net. Hitting flat will hit into the net because of its own backspin.

it is hard when the ball has side spin as well. It could be either ur opponent made it intentionally or accidentally. The ball will bounce to your side. your position will be either over it or not enough.