PDA

View Full Version : "heaviness"

cptobvious_619
09-10-2006, 06:07 PM
what is the formal definition of heaviness?

i've seen it being refered to as the weight of the ball and also, by the the amount of times the ball rotates (ex. heavy topspin)

i hit a topspin game for the purpose of keeping it in, but i've never heard anyone refer to my shots as "heavy" in the term that it is hard to return.

how would i get this effect?

ZPTennis
09-10-2006, 06:33 PM
Heavy is a ball thats difficult for an opponent to handle especially when he doesn't have the same power capability as the guy whos hitting the ball heavy.

To use an example, a weaker player than his heavy hitting opponent will tend to be overwhelmed by the combination of pace and topspin of the ball that it will feel to him as if the ball is overwhelming his racquet and doesn't have the proper technique and strength to counteract its effect.

Because of this, the tennis ball will feel "heavy" to the weaker opponent as if he is hitting a tennis ball that weighs much more than normal because of the energy that has been put into the pace and topspin of the shot.

There are probably more formal definitions of it, but thats my take on it.

For you to get this effect with the ball, you will need to learn how to hit the ball hard and still have lots of spin..

Andy Roddick would have a very heavy forehand with more pace than spin.
and Rafael Nadal would also have a heavy forehand with more spin than pace. Both are very difficult to handle.

Court_Jester
09-10-2006, 06:36 PM
what is the formal definition of heaviness?
Not sure about formal but usually:

heavy ball = fast pace + lots of spin

i hit a topspin game for the purpose of keeping it in, but i've never heard anyone refer to my shots as "heavy" in the term that it is hard to return.

how would i get this effect?
Since you already have spin, you now have to work on producing high racquet speed on contact.

MasterTS
09-10-2006, 06:39 PM
A tennis ball weights only a few ounces but if you can make it feel heavier to the opponent, then you've achieved a heavy ball.

Usually these balls kick off the courts more and push the opponent back; penetrating.

Bagumbawalla
09-10-2006, 07:06 PM
The above answers are correct.

In addition to what they have said, a ball will (Psychologically) seem even heavier if the speed/spin that comes to them is unexpected.

They say that Don Budge (fron the 40s I think) hit a "heavy" backhand. Part of its heaviness was the fact that his stroke seemed smooth and effortless. The opponent was often unprepared for to deal with its force.

thejerk
09-11-2006, 10:24 PM
I played a guy who could knock your racket back. He would slam the corners from anywhere and if you weren't perfect it would feel like your racket was being pushed back.

mucat
09-11-2006, 10:37 PM
Heaviness describe how it feels when you hit the ball back, it feels stick to your racket and push your racket back.

kevhen
09-12-2006, 06:59 AM
Besides having both lots of spin and coming in at a good pace, the heavy ball also will have good depth and sort of jump up at you and cause your racquet to twist if you don't hit it dead center. It takes alot of energy just to reverse the spin of a heavy ball and can be difficult to control.

The guys I play with who hit 'heavy' take a big swing with some of it being upward to generate the spin. Because of their big swings, they do make more errors, but a heavy ball can force errors so the tradeoff is often worth it especially if they can place the ball deep.

Slice Approach
09-12-2006, 05:30 PM
I saw a segment of the TC the other night with P Annacone who said a heavy ball related to the ability of the ball to penetrate the court in addition to alot of spin. He hit a few with his POG mid (with lead tape) to a student, even telling him where it was going, and the guy couldn't handle the "heaviness" of the shot and shanked them both.

I have hit with a few players who generate a really heavy ball (one a 5.5 and the other a former ATP player). On both occasions, it was difficult to do anything other than return the ball in the same direction preferably on the sweet spot or else my racquet would twist and I would lose control.

Agassi used to describe the way he would try to put "torque" on the ball when he hit it. I believe this describes a heavy ball as the difference between torque and speed. A fast ball is hard to retrieve but not easy to deal with once you get there. Same thing with a super topspin ball that is difficult to time but you can still be offensive with it. A heavy ball is tough to deal with even if you are in good position.