PDA

View Full Version : Interesting little experiment with lead today

Mikael
09-10-2006, 09:15 PM
So I was hitting with this young dude who wants to become a pro, and all of a sudden I break a string... since all of my PT 630s had broken strings I ask his dad if there's an extra racquet I can use. I shudder when I see what he's about to give me. It's a Wilson N-Code 6.1 95'', no problems with that, but the guy had added about 80 grams of lead to it, I'm not kidding. Pretty much the entire hoop had some lead on it, sometimes 2 layers, the throat had like 4 layers, and there was some more around the butt cap. I'm estimating the final static weight at 410 grams or so. Yesterday I had tried hitting with it against the wall and it felt almost impossible to use, way too heavy. So I walk back to the baseline shaking my head and wondering how I'm gonna be able to give this guy a decent hit.

I was very surprised, the next 25mns were really fun. The racquet, even though it felt very heavy, played like a hot babe. Hitting the ball felt sweet, my consistency and spin went up, but most dramatically I got so much better returning heavy, deep shots. At the very end I could feel my arm tiring a bit but I was still very consistent. The only problem I had with this setup is that I never felt comfortable really hitting hard on a shot, it felt like the crazy swingweight would just allow me to swing at rally-speed, and never truly accelerate. Maybe I needed more time. I even tried serving with this behemoth, and surprisingly the results weren't so bad, I felt some extra pop and spin right away, even when I wasn't swinging that hard (couldn't, anyway!) My shoulder did feel sore soon afterwards, but not in pain.

So even though I already got some lead on my PT 630s (3 and 9) I'm planning to add some more, especially to the upper hoop and the buttcap to counterbalance it. I guess this little experiment kinda supports a lot of Travlerajm's ideas in recent threads about "the perfect setup". So guys, unless you're really weak, don't be afraid to lead up!

nadalito92
09-10-2006, 09:18 PM
watch out, maybe you will hurt your shoulder?

Mikael
09-10-2006, 09:23 PM
Yeah I'll take it easy, definitely not going anywhere near 400 grams! Hitting with that club tonight felt sweet but I'm well aware it would be foolish to use it all the time, I'd hurt my shoulder and I wouldn't be able to play hardcore for more than 45mns at a time.

tempura_MAKI
09-10-2006, 10:31 PM
Yeah I did this once to my old i.s2. it was so dam light I put like 6oz of total weight to it. balanced, it hit alot better.