PDA

View Full Version : Flat hitters

NeverQuits
09-10-2006, 09:55 PM
How do you win against a flathitter who has a lot of power and who gets the ball in? :confused:

snoflewis
09-10-2006, 10:33 PM
How do you win against a flathitter who has a lot of power and who gets the ball in? :confused:

hit w/ topspin....around shoulder height or higher would probably help you. the flat hitters i played generally like to take low balls, but when i hit higher topspin balls (maintaining pace still), it was much harder for them to hit.

peter
09-11-2006, 06:03 AM
hit w/ topspin....around shoulder height or higher would probably help you. the flat hitters i played generally like to take low balls, but when i hit higher topspin balls (maintaining pace still), it was much harder for them to hit.

I'm a flat hitter and I love high balls hit to my forehand... :-)

My recommendation: mix it up - and especially alternate deep hard topspin shots with short low-bouncing slices - it'll be hard for a hard flat hitter to keep that ball inside the court when rushing forwards to get to the short ball.

(Avoid short high-bouncing ones though :-)

WayneCM
09-11-2006, 06:08 AM
After sufferin against flat hitters these tactics and shots i have found effective:
1. Force them 2 come in on short balls they have less margin 4 error
2. Keep the ball low
3. Chip and charge

These have worked well 4 me thus far...

Bagumbawalla
09-11-2006, 11:50 AM
WayneCM, above, has the right idea. A flat hitter has less margin for error than somene with topspin. They rely on gravity and accuracy to keep the ball in court. They are not good with sharp angles.

Hitting low slice, mid court, forces them to hit up and (usually) reduce speed, possibly add topspin, possibly half-volley it back.

Come to the net. Cover the angles. Bop the rising ball back into the open court.

This is basically how Ashe beat Conners at Wimbledon

travlerajm
09-12-2006, 01:56 AM
Moonball from 10 feet behind the baseline (unless he likes to come to net).

Duzza
09-12-2006, 04:34 AM
Short, low, slices, i hate them.

Duzza
09-12-2006, 04:34 AM
Oh and angles, flat hitters are usually not as good runners.