PDA

View Full Version : Where is the power in the Volley

NeverQuits
09-10-2006, 08:59 PM
My volley has barely any pace on it. Where is the power coming from that puts more pace into the ball?

damasta55
09-10-2006, 09:18 PM
Hold the racquet firmly, gives you power when the ball hits the strings.

Phil
09-10-2006, 11:25 PM
My volley has barely any pace on it. Where is the power coming from that puts more pace into the ball?

In the legs. You have to bend them, and move into the volley. There are some clips of Stefan Edberg volleying somewhere on the Internet; if you can watch those and get an idea how he approached the ball then you'll have no trouble generating pace on your volley.

AngeloDS
09-10-2006, 11:47 PM
Body weight and/or the quick punch at the ball. It's like a jab, just a quick motion. If timed right you can get amazing pop off the volley. Body weight also the other where you move into the volley using your weight.

TENNIS_99
09-11-2006, 12:34 AM
to hit an offensive volley i always split step -> step into the ball.

Andres
09-11-2006, 08:34 AM
Actually, I don't see why you want more "pace" on your volleys. A volley is more like a block, not a groundie.
For more "power", slice it LESS and drive through it MORE.

armand
09-11-2006, 09:09 AM
Vollying with a light racquet is really ugly. I don't get how some people do it.

dozu
09-11-2006, 09:33 AM
ok, here is the true secret in powerful volleys.

remember in volleys, less is more. less swing = more power. You can call it a block, a stab, a punch, a jab or whatever, but the key to the power is this:

the core is the source of power... so you need to be close to the core. this means that you have to tuck in your elbow... an effective drill for this is to use a long thick rubber band that ties your upper arm with your chest, so that your elbow does NOT fly out during the volley. This forces:

1. short, almost no back swing
2. racket in front for the FH volley
3. body turn for the BH volley

Stay close to the core... that's where the power and control comes from

Bagumbawalla
09-11-2006, 11:05 AM
Strike the ball in front of your body (arm bent slightly).

Get your weight behind it (lean into the shot if possible).

Hold the racket firmly.

Punch through the ball.