PDA

View Full Version : the problem of having no backhand.

wyutani
09-10-2006, 10:19 PM
hello mate'. just wondering/ what the advantage of having a lefty and right forehand and no backhand?

snoflewis
09-10-2006, 10:27 PM
hello mate'. just wondering/ what the advantage of having a lefty and right forehand and no backhand?

you'll most likely be the only one on the court w/ it.

kchau
09-10-2006, 10:27 PM
advantage: easier to hit the shot
disadvantage: takes more time to swithc hands and stuff

The Prodigy
09-10-2006, 10:52 PM
I'm just wondering whether you have the same power off both wings? Also, how long have you been doing this?

BreakPoint
09-10-2006, 11:03 PM
Well, obviously you would have more reach. But you'd better be ambidextrous to be able to pull this off effectively.

wyutani
09-10-2006, 11:23 PM
I'm just wondering whether you have the same power off both wings? Also, how long have you been doing this?

almost 3 months now. but obviously my left is my strongest. the right is more weaker i say. i still use the backhand though but only for slicing and my serve is only limited to my left. like what "kchau" said, i have trouble switching hands and sometimes cannot make up my mind to which hand to use.

and i hear not many ppl can pull this double forehand thing. that's good no?:mrgreen:

Skycat
09-10-2006, 11:41 PM
Wow.. If you really are able to switch hands fast enough, I think it will be a good weapon.
You can disguise your shots and have more reach on every ball.

Luke Jeson used to serve righty and lefty back and force during the match, but I've never seen or heard anyone playing with no backhand but two forehands.:)

emcee
09-11-2006, 06:38 PM
I think there's a reason why no one does it...good luck.

Vid?

Zets147
09-11-2006, 07:46 PM
do it... do you get your footwork wrong sometimes? lol

Triple S
09-11-2006, 08:12 PM
do it... do you get your footwork wrong sometimes? lol

I don't see why that should happen...

The Prodigy
09-11-2006, 08:15 PM
sometimes, you might set your footwork up for a righty shot, when its lefty, or vice versa. i think that's what he means.

Andres
09-11-2006, 08:59 PM
and i hear not many ppl can pull this double forehand thing. that's good no?:mrgreen:
We know you can't either, so why do you have to worry? :mrgreen:

wyutani
09-11-2006, 09:10 PM
We know you can't either, so why do you have to worry? :mrgreen:

dude! what took you so long? anyway, you didnt answer the question mate'...

Andres
09-11-2006, 09:19 PM
Let's see... advantages: I don't see many. You may have two forehands, but they won't be ever equal, specially since you're not an ambidextrous person. Work on your backhand.

Now, if you get to the net, like you say in your signature, and one ball is hit to your backhand side, will you switch hands to hit a volley with the other hand. Will you have the time. And will your volleys be any good?

Stick to the "leftyness", yut. It's for the best. And work that backhand.
And learn french.

And portuguese.

FitzRoy
09-11-2006, 10:55 PM
I'm not saying it's a good idea to go with two forehands, but I do recall seeing a WTA player doing it. It was a few years ago and I can't remember her name. She wasn't ranked very high, maybe top 200. I know it was at one of the Slams, but I don't remember which - my guess would be Wimbledon. She got steamrolled by one of the high seeds in the first round. It looked weird because she gripped it with her left hand in the same place you'd have it on a two-handed backhand, so there were several inches of racquet handle sticking out of the bottom of her hand. Basically I'd say it's possible, but probably not the best idea. As Andres said, just work on a backhand. ;)

sharapova4lyfe
09-12-2006, 12:05 PM
hey, i've been trying to do 2 forehands also because i hurt my left hand (my dominant hand) and i've been playing right handed. now my left hand is healed so i can hit semi-ambidextrously.

however, switching hands is pretty annoying and i don't always switch to my correct grip since i'm almost tossing the racket to my other hand when i need to switch in a hurry.

so i'm probably not going to try to do this and i'll just go back to playing lefthanded. i was going to make a video of this to see how my 2 forehands look, so if i do, i'll post it here.

also, does anyone know if it is legal to use 2 rackets? i'm going to try it someday since i just play recreationally but i was just wondering.

wyutani
09-12-2006, 06:42 PM
also, does anyone know if it is legal to use 2 rackets? i'm going to try it someday since i just play recreationally but i was just wondering.

the rules dun allow a player to use more than one racquet. (Rule 4, Case 5).

boojay
09-12-2006, 09:20 PM
i'd recommend learning to back hand with your dominant hand, but continue to practice with your off hand and use it in emergencies because there are certainly benefits. i use my off hand to lob shots are that out of reach for my dominant and to slice back wide shots that I also can't reach with my dominant.