PDA

View Full Version : Opinion On Babolat Aero Tour Original

maverick1
09-11-2006, 04:56 AM
I am trying to find the right racket for me. I have played with 6 or 7 different rackets, but amazingly, none with headsize higher than 95 and smaller than 107.

The 97/98 inch Babalots weighing a bit over 11 oz seems very different from everything I have played with, and they are also very popular. So I have pretty much narrowed down to Babolat.

Now, Babolat Aero Tour Original is on sale for half the price of the other Babolats. Is this racket inferior to AeroPro Drive or The Pure Drive in any way? The specs are all fairly similar, and the reviews are hard to compare.
Can someone please tell me what the differences among these 3 arckets are?

Please don't suggest to Demo. I am pretty tone-deaf with rackets. I can sense different weights, that is about it. I adjust to a racket in 3 swings and seem to play about the same with any racket, though the racket I have been using the longest always feels slightly better than everything else. I have decided that I just have to get a racket and play with it for 2 months before I can tell if it is right for me.

As far as playing style, I run and retrieve a lot, a 3.75 version of Nadal. I don't think I am a pusher. I don't enjoy hitting slowly baseline to baseline if the point is not going anywhere. I only push against attacking players who beat themselves and I know I will never need to hit 10 shots in a rally. I dread long rallies as much as most people. I do a bit of everything, even serve & volley more than anyone I have encountered at my level. My strokes are often short, and as a result, I spend a lot of time running side to side. Although I am pretty good at this, I can't return the ball unless I am in good balance. A lot of slow players seem to stretch on their backhand side and still send back a good lob. If I could do this, I think I would be a good 4.0. I have been reading that the Wilson PS85 is difficult to play defense with, and that is the racket I have been using in matches. Hoping that a modern racket will do the trick for me. In addition to defense, I am looking for a racket that is easier to hit topspin with. I think Topspin is the solution for my problem with hitting short balls. With a lot of topspin, I can aim deeper, and if it still lands short, at least the pace after bounce will keep the opponent a bit further back.

The Pusher Terminator
09-11-2006, 05:19 AM
The 97/98 inch Babalots weighing a bit over 11 oz seems very different from everything I have played with, and they are also very popular. So I have pretty much narrowed down to Babolat.

Now, Babolat Aero Tour Original is on sale for half the price of the other Babolats. Is this racket inferior to AeroPro Drive or The Pure Drive in any way? The specs are all fairly similar, and the reviews are hard to compare.
Can someone please tell me what the differences among these 3 arckets are?

The original is a terrible racquet. For some reason Babolat did not include their patented Woofer technology into that racquet. They updated those terrible racquets with Aero pro and included the woofer technology. The difference is HUGE!!! The woofer technology is what gives the ball some serious pop. Don't waste your time with the original.

As far as being a pusher don't be embarrased. Pushers used to beat me all the time. I read up on how to beat a pusher and made it my specialty. You guys used to drive me CRAZY!! Now I terminate you but I still respect you...LOL.

Nadal, is fast and he can run anything down. But he is very far from a pusher. Just beause one is fast and can chase anything down does not mean you are a pusher. A pusher is someone who simply "pushes" the ball back over and over agin...no spin, no angle ...just daring you to try and put the ball away for a winner. Nadal on the other hand can hit huge winners and he can volley very very well!

Unless you hit with unbelievable spin I dont see why you would want the APD plus....why not just go with the Pure Drive Plus? I think it will serve your purposes better as it is a much sturdier racquet that can withstand hard strokes and off center shots. In fact although tennis magazine gave the APD sterling reviews it did say it was not that great on off center shots:

The racquet[APD] can be jarring when you miss the sweet spot, but then the Aeropro Drive is made for players who are adept at nailing their shots. .....tennis magazine

Therefore following that line of logic...if you are going to be chasing down a lot of hard hit shots you will need a sturdy racquet with some mass. I think the Pure Drive Plus is your best bet. Its practically a wide body yet it is light and maneuverable......you can withstand the hardest hit ground strokes with this puppy. Also their new cortex system makes the racquet so smooth. Finally at 27.5 inches you will be able to reach almost anything.

maverick1
09-11-2006, 06:11 AM
That is helpful; thanks.
The only thing is I prefer the standard length. I have a slight Tennis elbow problem that I have been able to manage well so far, but I am worried an increase in swingweight would tempt fate.
So Pure drive may be the way to go.

The Pusher Terminator
09-11-2006, 07:46 AM
That is helpful; thanks.
The only thing is I prefer the standard length. I have a slight Tennis elbow problem that I have been able to manage well so far, but I am worried an increase in swingweight would tempt fate.
So Pure drive may be the way to go.

WHOA!!! You never said that before. Then stay away from the APD!!!! Secondly Babolat pure drives have terrible reputations regarding tennis elbow! But if you insist then get the CORETEX!!!

The best racquets for tennis Elbow is Pro Kennex. They have specs similar to the pure drive but will be very arm friendly. Check it out:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage.html?PCODE=KC10

maverick1
09-11-2006, 08:17 AM
That complicates things :(
But it is good to know, thanks.

superstition
09-22-2006, 02:55 PM
In my experience, the things that cause tennis elbow are:

#1. Head-heavy balance.
#2. String type and tension.
#3. Racquet is too light.
#4. Racquet stiffness.

It seems to me that a 12+ ounze stiff racquet, if balanced head-light and given 17 gauge gut at 58 lbs is probably not going to hurt a person's elbow unless they're already injured or have bad technique, but I could be wrong.

maverick1
09-29-2006, 08:19 AM
Taking some of TPT's advice, I got the Babolat Pure Drive Roddick strung at 55 lbs.

It was a promising first day yesterday. Compared to the PS85 and nCode 90, I felt like I was getting more power, lot more spin and less control.
Also, the cortex technology must be doing something. I felt no frame vibration.

I was hitting long when I tried to hit winners off short balls. The racket seems to require that you put a lot of spin to keep the ball in.

Suprisingly, my serves had more control than with the two Wilsons. No double faults, and good placement on first serve. I felt the pace was lower, but I think it will improve as I get used to the lighter weight and swing it faster.

Most important, my arm(TE) feels fine after playing two hours last night.

This may be the beginning of a beautiful friendship!

phat
09-29-2006, 10:43 AM
You can try to bump up the tension to 57lbs, You will be surprised the little difference it makes for the control department.