PDA

View Full Version : help please! video included

tennis-skater
09-11-2006, 01:43 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8517015960855754001
thats my serve
only thing i could come up with was a bit higher toss and bend my knees some more to explode up into the ball

remyb2
09-11-2006, 01:52 PM
One thing I noticed is the irregularity of your toss. Sometimes you toss it close to you sometimes closer to the net. Having a constent toss is the key. If you were to just let the ball drop without hitting it, will it always fall at the same spot?

But are you looking for more power? Control? Spin?

For power, remember to keep your wrist loose so that it can snap at the end of your motion. Make good contact (center of your racquet) and go towards the ball (don't wait for it to fall to you).

snoflewis
09-11-2006, 02:08 PM
in terms of power, two things pop up when looking at your serve.

First, your shoulder rotation/wind up isnt very big, thus it won't allow you to explode into your serve. to make a simple comparison, a forehand w/ a larger backswing/windup will have more power than a compact swing in most cases. your shoulders in the "trophy position" or position right before you rotate your shoulders is very level. at the most, it's about 45 degrees to the ground. if you want more power, you should consider dropping your shoulder more, which would include a slightly lower knee bend and back bend.

secondly, it looks like you can't rotate your shoulders because your left arm is getting in the way. before you even hit the ball, your left arm is either down to your waist or still in the air, and it stays there. what i mean by this is, when you rotate your shoulders to swing, you're not using shoulder rotation, but your arm, because your left arm is preventing your shoulders from rotating fully. if you see roddicks serve http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-vguZZj2D0&mode=related&search=, you can see that as he starts to rotate his shoulders and begins to drop his left shoulder, his right shoulder and his racket are coming up. in your case, you drop your left shoulder...and you arm through the shot. here's a better vid of what im talking about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnfAxF5a8aE&mode=related&search=

Federer also does this as well...as w/ all other players w/ good serves:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGAurQTPFa0

tennis-skater
09-11-2006, 04:01 PM
ok yeah pretty much i just want more power i havent been able to hit many aces lately i mean i know its more important to have no double faults which i hit few of but i want a big serve too

maynardsson55
09-11-2006, 04:36 PM
I would close up the stance a bit to get shoulder turn and loosen the wrist. Let the racket snap the wrist, not vice versa. Feel the weight of the racket head as you go back and as you go to back scratch. Just don't "try to hard" to hit it hard. Just looked on the video that you weren't getting a lot of racket head speed. Have to have a loose arm for that. Try angling up your shoulders to the ball too. That could help. Just throwing some stuff against the wall. Go find a pro to. If in Dallas call me. Haha.

drakulie
09-11-2006, 04:52 PM
As others have already pointed out you need to tilt your shoulders more when in the trophy position or power position. Your shoulders need to be more like this: /

Not like this: _____

Here is a nice example:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/drakulie/SA.jpg

Doing this will increase the energy of your swing up into the ball instead of straight into the court.

You also need to "throw" your left hip into the court more, like Sampras does in the above picture.

Thanks for sharing the vids, good luck.

tennis-skater
09-13-2006, 12:09 PM
i had a lesson yesturday and my coach showed me how to "throw" my hips out so once i can ill upload a new video of my new serve and then try and find something wrong with it

dannyjjang
09-13-2006, 11:04 PM
i can tell you are a rich white kid
i envy u

JCo872
09-13-2006, 11:08 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8517015960855754001
thats my serve
only thing i could come up with was a bit higher toss and bend my knees some more to explode up into the ball

I'll post more when I have time, but on first glance you have outstanding technique. Look at the great racket drop position! Very nice.

JCo872
09-13-2006, 11:09 PM
[QUOTE=dannyjjang]i can tell you are a rich white kid
i envy u[/QUOTE

You'd rather be white or rich or both? lol.

dannyjjang
09-13-2006, 11:19 PM
[QUOTE=dannyjjang]i can tell you are a rich white kid
i envy u[/QUOTE

You'd rather be white or rich or both? lol.
rich=more lessons=newer balls=more travel to matches=gets same rich friend=and they play tennis=ey get a good tennis partner=plenty of food=o that tennis court is full lets go to a court 20miles from here=alots of gas money=newer shoes=better racquet=natural gut=uses overgrips like toilet papers=big room=big enough for tennis posters=actually visit matches=costs over $100=pays them like nothing=watches the usopen final=meet roger federer=get his signature=

rich people have too much advantage over tennis

JCo872
09-14-2006, 04:24 AM
[QUOTE=JCo872]
rich=more lessons=newer balls=more travel to matches=gets same rich friend=and they play tennis=ey get a good tennis partner=plenty of food=o that tennis court is full lets go to a court 20miles from here=alots of gas money=newer shoes=better racquet=natural gut=uses overgrips like toilet papers=big room=big enough for tennis posters=actually visit matches=costs over $100=pays them like nothing=watches the usopen final=meet roger federer=get his signature=

LOL. You've got to be creative man. Get your own $100 stringer like I did and string your own rackets. You'll save a lot of money. Public courts are free! Go on Craig's list to find partners. I get your point that money makes things easier, but there are lots of things you can do if you are creative.

The Williams sisters used to play on hard courts in Compton which were right in the middle of gang territory. They made it work. Sometimes working harder makes you appreciate stuff more.

You're a trip. :)

jackson vile
09-14-2006, 09:21 AM
I agree on the shoulder rotation and bow are not enough, but the thing that sticks out most to me here is that the elbow of the hitting arm is brought up too soon.

This is IMO the reason why you are not bowing enough and not getting the rotation you need.

With your elbow that high up and extended like that you are forcing your body into a half way or more postion inorder to be able to hit the ball.

Here is an example, a bit extreme for your level, but the idea is still there.
http://atschool.eduweb.co.uk/southwold/event/tennis/professional_serve.jpg

And here is a pic of something simular that you are doing at times
http://www.nmmi.cc.nm.us/athletics/broncotennis/images/tennis_serve.jpg

So you can see how short you are cutting the stoke and thus why you are losing so much power, and control.

You're relaxation look top notch, preperation ect great, you will be serveing big in no time with a base such as that

Good Luck:p

tennis-skater
09-14-2006, 11:22 AM

i buy my own rackets and strings and pay for all my equipment with my own money that i made from working over the summer minus my clothes which a lot of i get for my birthday this year i got a pair of shoes 2 oufits and some tennis help dvds. yes my parents pay for my lessons. i dont get newer balls i conserve them by when they feel dead throw them in the dryer for an hour and a half. i actually dont have a hitting partner at all i just go to camp everyday after school. and i live in florida so theres tennis courts about ever 5 miles. i actually dont use overgrips like toilet paper i use them till they rip when you buy all that stuff w/your own money you dont wanna waste it. yeah i got to go to the US open but it was in place of a birthday party and my parents didnt spend a penny for it we used miles to fly up, get a hotel room, and we bought the tickets with miles through continental, seriously dont start saying that my parents buy me everything i want for tennis because i buy atleast half of it

tennis-skater
09-14-2006, 11:23 AM
So you can see how short you are cutting the stoke and thus why you are losing so much power, and control.

You're relaxation look top notch, preperation ect great, you will be serveing big in no time with a base such as that

Good Luck

Ok thanks i'll deffinetly try that today

Mike Cottrill
09-14-2006, 11:47 AM
i dont get newer balls i conserve them by when they feel dead throw them in the dryer for an hour and a half.

hour and a half :p Your folks know this? It would be cheaper for them to buy you balls
:eek:

tennis-skater
09-14-2006, 01:28 PM
hour and a half Your folks know this? It would be cheaper for them to buy you balls

haha yeah they know they dont care
actually no because we have some like dryer that doesnt use much energy?

dannyjjang
09-14-2006, 09:08 PM
way i never knew that works....
white people are smart

tennis-skater
09-15-2006, 11:38 AM
hahaha
well what can i say =]
actually my dads got a chemistry degree and told me to do it because of the heat would do something with the molecules? not that far into chemistry yet

Noveson
09-15-2006, 09:02 PM
Thats a whole bunch of nice gear and wristbands for just hitting serves. What is up with that? I see a bunch of people like that in these videos.

tennis-skater
09-16-2006, 01:51 PM
all of it i got for less then retail, and i thought i was gunna be out there longer but it was too hot. wristbands are cheap though 4 dollars and i sweat a lot and my racket used to fly out of my hands so i had to get wristbands and supergrap

magilligan
09-16-2006, 03:31 PM
everyone's pretty much covered everything that I noticed, but here's anotehr way to think about it. for your shoulders and right arm, try to make it so that there's a straight line from your left shoulder down to your right elbow, that'll get you in the "trophy" position ad get your elbow in the right spot, which will increase the distance the racquet has to travel, which makes it go faster and then the ball. and the motion witht he shoulders is almost a "tumbling" motion, with the right shoulder coming over the left. That's why the trophy psotion is so important. This video of roddick shows what i was getting out about teh shoulders "tumbling" over each other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnfAxF5a8aE