PDA

View Full Version : Serving: back facing the opponent??

Evikshin
09-11-2006, 02:12 PM
I noticed that great serves like Safin, Sampras, and Federer have their backs turned to their opponents when serving.

I myself do not turn nearly as much as Safin et al., but I can still hit pretty good serve (106 mph, my height is 5 foot 6). In fact, my shoulders are perfectly perpendicular to the baseline, when viewed from behind. My coach has been trying to get me to get more of a body turn.

Thing is, I absolutely cannot serve when I rotate my body that much on the backswing. I just can't...its like being a beginner again.
How important is it to have this extreme rotation? Is it something I should make a serious effort to strive for, or should I just go with what works for me? I'm 5 foot 6 with a muscular, stocky build. Is this part of the problem?

When I have my back turned to the opponent, I feel as if I get "lost" in my backswing and I'm unable to swing through the ball.

Interestingly, its easier to hit a kick, but I absolutely cannot hit a flat serve in that fashion.

any thoughts??

evikshin

Vixenbergen
09-11-2006, 02:34 PM
I used to have a serve like you, standing perpendicular to baseline and I thought it was impossible to turn any more.

For me, I stand with my left foot almost perpendicular to the line, my right foot back a little bit ( so it's easier to rotate ) and my back facing slightly more back then perpendicular.

Rotation is just natural if you are hitting the serve, if you just jump into it, that's all arm and never good for you, I would imagine you face to the left when you jump into the court.

My coach one time gave me good advice, make sure your left arm is inside your body or tucked in when you serve. One of the problems I can foresee you having is rotating to early, and if your left arm is to the side or back of you when you serve, that will happen. So tuck your left hand in. Rotating early makes hitting the flat shot harder.

drakulie
09-11-2006, 03:57 PM
Just make sure you look like this and you will be fine:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/drakulie/SA.jpg

Just kidding. But coiling will assist you in generating more racquet head speed. It may be difficult at first, and feel awkward but I guarantee the results will please you.

Say Chi Sin Lo
09-11-2006, 04:00 PM
i have my back facing my opponents when i serve. I find it to be a very smooth motion. If i have to give it a reason, then it "forces" me to use my hips and waist as i serve

Evikshin
09-11-2006, 08:34 PM
thanks everyone for replying.

i will hit up the tennis courts tomorrow and see if i can manage to make this work. hell, i may even try to upload a video or something

evikshin