PDA

View Full Version : Lead and Topspin

Vixenbergen
09-11-2006, 02:52 PM
I have a Head Classic Mid, (93 sq in) and recently i have put 4 pieces of lead at 3 and 9, and then another 2 to balance it inside the grip.

But I find that it's hard to hit topsin. I played a couple sets, and I was getting the hang of it, the last set I played perfectly, only one proble, and that's the balls are flying very low, much lower than what I used to hit. With my old racquet, I could hit the ball well over the net, but not so much with this one.

Any tips on making it more spin friendly, without sacrificing the power?

The Dampener
09-11-2006, 03:49 PM
Talk to travelerjam or AJK1. They can tell you exactly how much tape to use, and where to put, to make your racquet hit nasty topspin, volley crisply, or stand-up and do the Macarena all on its own!

hummer23
09-11-2006, 04:07 PM
it seems that you have increased the swingweight of your frame too much. When it becoems hard to swing fast enough, you cant get that good racquethead speed, and accelerate through the ball to create topspin.

HyperHorse
09-11-2006, 05:48 PM
You need to put more leadtape on the handle...
Just put strips that are as long as the handle on 4 bevels...
that should be enough... The more lead tape u put on the handle,
the more you can put on the head.. This should be obvious...

AJK1
09-11-2006, 08:24 PM
Whenever you put lead at 3 & 9 position, to keep the same feel and balance, you must put the equivalent amount of lead on the handle 17cms from the buttcap. Otherwise your racquet will swing unevenly through the air. Wrap the lead tape around the handle, not along it. You will be surprised at how it feels once you've done the mods.

The Dampener
09-11-2006, 09:19 PM
AJK1,

17cm? I thought you were preaching 10cm. What changed?

J

AJK1
09-11-2006, 10:50 PM
Hi J, How's the 5g going?
10cms from buttcap when you only want to increase weight in handle end. An example would be if you want to make a head heavy racquet more head light.
17cms from buttcap is when you have put lead tape at 3 & 9 and you need to keep the same balance as before.
Hope this makes sense.

AlpineCadet
09-11-2006, 11:39 PM
10cms from buttcap when you only want to increase weight in handle end. An example would be if you want to make a head heavy racquet more head light.
17cms from buttcap is when you have put lead tape at 3 & 9 and you need to keep the same balance as before.
Hope this makes sense.

not flaming or anything but is there any proof to this, or are just plain statements being made here? sorry if this sounds short/rude, but it seems all i hear on these forums are how-to's without much explaining.

AlpineCadet
09-12-2006, 12:42 AM
http://www.tennis4all.com/info/racquets/customize.shtml

it seems lead in positions 5 and 6 are to roughly yield the same results.

travlerajm
09-12-2006, 12:45 AM
http://www.tennis4all.com/info/racquets/customize.shtml

it seems lead in positions 5 and 6 are to roughly yield the same results.

The information given there is blantantly incorrect. Someone should fix this. Positions 5 and 6 yield opposite results.

Position 5 will increase power, increase stability, and reduce spin (flatten out shots).
Position 6 will reduce power, slightly decrease stability, and substantially increase spin.

AlpineCadet
09-12-2006, 01:02 AM
The information given there is blantantly incorrect. Someone should fix this. Positions 5 and 6 yield opposite results.

Position 5 will increase power, increase stability, and reduce spin (flatten out shots).
Position 6 will reduce power, slightly decrease stability, and substantially increase spin.

sadly, i doubt it will be

The Dampener
09-12-2006, 03:11 PM
Hope this makes sense.

AJ,

Ah, it's sinking in. Slowly, but it's sinking in.

5G is helping the arm, but adjusting to a new type of frame is a work in progress. Have tape at 3, 9, and above the grip (which by my not-so-nimble calculations is approximately 20cm from the buttcap. So I'm 3cm off). I started with 5 grams. I have a second frame due in this week. I think I'll experiment a little. maybe tape it up with 8-10 grams in the same spots and see how it goes.

J

AJK1
09-12-2006, 03:19 PM
Alpinecadet, here is the facts;
10cm from buttcap is the point at which swingweight is measured on racquets, as it is where a persons hand is generally located. So that is why swingweight is measured there, because that is where you swing from.
Add lead tape here to increase weight in the handle end of the frame.
But, if you put lead tape at 3 & 9 o'clock you will notice that if you measure from the middle point of the lead tape back to the tip of the head, it will be roughly 17cms. So you should add lead tape on the handle 17cms from the buttcap to evenly distribute the weight to keep the balance the same. Think of kids on a see saw, you have to put the weight at the same point either side of the middle balance point. Otherwise things don't balance and swing correctly. Hope this helps

AlpineCadet
09-12-2006, 03:28 PM
Alpinecadet, here is the facts;
10cm from buttcap is the point at which swingweight is measured on racquets, as it is where a persons hand is generally located. So that is why swingweight is measured there, because that is where you swing from.
Add lead tape here to increase weight in the handle end of the frame.
But, if you put lead tape at 3 & 9 o'clock you will notice that if you measure from the middle point of the lead tape back to the tip of the head, it will be roughly 17cms. So you should add lead tape on the handle 17cms from the buttcap to evenly distribute the weight to keep the balance the same. Think of kids on a see saw, you have to put the weight at the same point either side of the middle balance point. Otherwise things don't balance and swing correctly. Hope this helps

Beautiful! Thanks for the input.

AJK1
09-12-2006, 03:36 PM
Hi J,
The 3cms won't make much difference, a lot of players just put it at the top of the grip so they don't have to remove the grip, which is fine.
Let me know how things progress,
Cheers
A

Speedy_tennis
09-12-2006, 07:36 PM
much lead tape in the head is more difficult to generate top spin, try adding in handle

louis netman
09-12-2006, 09:18 PM
Hi J,
The 3cms won't make much difference, a lot of players just put it at the top of the grip so they don't have to remove the grip, which is fine.
Let me know how things progress,
Cheers
A

if the lead is exposed at the top of the handle (not under the grip) make certain you cover it with electrical tape. Your non-playing hand will be constantly in contact with it along with your face, eyes, etc while you are playing. Prolonged exposure can lead to cancer...

AJK1
09-12-2006, 10:29 PM
Thanks for that, but i think we assumed he would cover it.

The Dampener
09-13-2006, 01:07 PM
Actually I didn't.

Thanks for the tip!

Is it truly that much of a hazard? I remember as a kid, I'd hear all the concern over the lead in our #2 pencils. The feeling back then was, as long as you didn't ingest it, you'd be fine. LN's post seems to suggest otherwise.

J

AlpineCadet
09-13-2006, 01:11 PM
Actually I didn't.

Thanks for the tip!

Is it truly that much of a hazard? I remember as a kid, I'd hear all the concern over the lead in our #2 pencils. The feeling back then was, as long as you didn't ingest it, you'd be fine. LN's post seems to suggest otherwise.

J

I thought the "lead" in our pencils were actually made of graphite ...?

louis netman
09-13-2006, 01:49 PM
Actually I didn't.

Thanks for the tip!

J

Cancer works in strange ways. A couple of molecules of lead here and there multiplied by the amount of times you play may add up to quite a bit of exposure...You won't realize the symptoms now, but 15-20 years down the road when your doctor tells you that you have a rare form of cancer affecting the left, outer-eyeball-socket, you'll remember this post...

The Dampener
09-13-2006, 02:06 PM
Outer eyeball socket?!?!?

Thanks, Louis. Screw the electrical tape. I'm going to install a sub-atomic containment field around that tape!

Cadet, the lead was in the paint, not the graphite.

AJK1
09-13-2006, 02:53 PM
It's a wonder Sampras doesn't glow in the dark now, he had so much lead tape on his sticks!!