PDA

View Full Version : Racket to heavy?

Amirsan
09-11-2006, 06:04 PM
Hey

I am currently using Liquid Metal Instinct Tour XL, I am a junior 16, though I am pretty small built, pretty skinny, and I am wondering whether maybe the Tour XL may be a little too heavy for me? I am finding out that racket speed is a very important factor in your strokes, power and placement, as well as consistency, and I am afriad that maybe having a high end racket like this may be limiting my ability to generate racket speed.

Should I consider a different racket? I've been using this racket since the beginning of July and I think its great compared to other rackets, then again, I do have some elbow problems lately, and maybe I am not generating as much racket speed as I should. With tennis season coming spring time, should I just focus on getting stronger and getting used to this racket, or should I just keep this racket, or look for a different one?

EDIT: The title should read "racket too* heavy" mispelled the "too" lol.

ShcMad
09-11-2006, 07:00 PM
I also own an Instinct XL. I'm 19 yrs old, but 5'6" tall. Sometimes, it feels like it's too "sluggish." The difference between yours and mine is that I have about 8.5grams of lead tape at 3&9 o'clock, and I have a leather grip. But, even when I take the lead off, it feels kinda heavy. That's mainly due to the swingweight of 336, plus it's an XL, so the extra half inch doesn't help reducing that swingweight.

I personally think this is a great racquet as long as you can handle it. It's headlight so it's maneuverable at the net, and good for 1-handed backhands because you'll rarely hit them late. It's a powerful racquet though. Some balls may sail long if you're being lazy.

Regarding elbow problems, I don't think this is the best frame for the health of your elbow. I'd suggest something with a higher static weight but a little less swingweight. If possible, a racquet with a couple points less in stiffness scale would be good as well. And, don't forget that strings play a big role, too.

As for why I added the lead even though it's already a "sluggish" racquet is because I needed some more stability. I felt like without lead, I was getting pushed around by hard hitters.

It's ultimately your decision. If you can handle your opponent's pace and heaviness, go for a frame with less swingweight and/or static weight because if the Instinct is preventing you from swinging out, that's not good.

Amirsan
09-11-2006, 07:12 PM
The string I am using the the Prince Synthetic Gut Duraflex (16 then 17 after the first broke) strung at first at the recommended 57 (or 58), and it was during that when I started feeling shoulder pain, then elbow - a coach said its Golfer's Elbow. So when the strings broke he restrung it at 54 lbs. The elbow pain has relieved definitely, I still feel clicking feeling when I move my arm though. So not sure.

Sluggish is a good word probably. Then again, I dont add lead or anything, just a thin overgrip to make it less slippery.

Maybe I should just experiment with different strings and tensions? Maybe that should help a bit? I'd hate to have to abandon this racket so early.

jonolau
09-11-2006, 07:21 PM
IMO, I would suggest ditching the XL racquet and going for standard length 27". Though 0.5" may not seem like much, this extra length may cause shoulder and elbow problems for some people due to the additional pronation required.

anirut
09-11-2006, 07:23 PM
[Off topic]

Hi, Jon, how's your wrist feeling man? Anything swollen?

jonolau
09-11-2006, 07:26 PM
[Off topic]

Hi, Jon, how's your wrist feeling man? Anything swollen?
Yes, it's still slightly swollen. Thanks for your concern.

ShcMad
09-11-2006, 07:28 PM
The string I am using the the Prince Synthetic Gut Duraflex (16 then 17 after the first broke) strung at first at the recommended 57 (or 58), and it was during that when I started feeling shoulder pain, then elbow - a coach said its Golfer's Elbow. So when the strings broke he restrung it at 54 lbs. The elbow pain has relieved definitely, I still feel clicking feeling when I move my arm though. So not sure.

Sluggish is a good word probably. Then again, I dont add lead or anything, just a thin overgrip to make it less slippery.

Maybe I should just experiment with different strings and tensions? Maybe that should help a bit? I'd hate to have to abandon this racket so early.

The lower tension should definitely favor your elbow over higher tensions. Plus, I believe the Prince SynGut isn't that stiff of a string (compared to polyesters like Luxilons). But then again, I haven't tried the Prince SynGut, so I don't know.

58lbs. could be your threshold. Maybe your elbow's telling you that 58lbs. is the maximum it can withstand for now. But then again, I see people stringing in the high 60's without problems. Everyone is different. I strung my Instinct at 53-48lbs. once, and in the mid 50's ever since. It seems like while the stringjob is fresh, it's perfect, but if it loses a little bit of tension, the ball sails long. It's a powerful racquet.

Ask your coach if you're hitting the ball correctly. Whether you're putting your whole body weight behind the shot. Somedays, when you're lazy, without knowing, you could just be using your arm to swing, and that's not good technique. I do that sometimes, and my elbow can hurt from it.

The tricky thing with the Instinct is that it might need a little lead tape to make it feel stable and solid and arm-friendly, but then the swingweight will go up the roof. Of course, we don't want that cuz it'll slow down the swing. More swingweight and more static weight is good for your arm, but if you can't swing it efficiently, it's no good.

I'd hate to tell you to abandon the racquet, but ask your coach about it. Perhaps you need some adjustment time with the Instinct. Maybe you need a racquet with less swingweight and more static weight.

tempura_MAKI
09-11-2006, 09:45 PM
IMO, I would suggest ditching the XL racquet and going for standard length 27". Though 0.5" may not seem like much, this extra length may cause shoulder and elbow problems for some people due to the additional pronation required.

ditto.