PDA

View Full Version : 1 hbh vs 2 hbh

nadalito92
09-11-2006, 06:43 PM
well i play with a 2hbh but today i tried the 1hbh, i was getting some nice shots for the first time trying it, im worried about changing to 1hbh but not doing good and try to go back to 2hbh and find it too hard, i have a western forehand, and hell i love it i just made a winner today omg without the top it gaves me it woulda' been out but it was amazing i was about to shout vamooos!! but im too shy lol ^^ anyways thats off topic, please coment about backhands and any 1hbh user please tips and coments, thank you all i love this forum and all the people in it.

down_shift
09-11-2006, 07:17 PM
We'll I've always used a 2hbh but If I could use a 1hbh I would. It's just beautiful when worked the right way. I think one hand is more powerful too. I've seen some pretty wicked angles with 1h and you have a better reach to when you use 1hbh.

nadalito92
09-11-2006, 07:21 PM
yeah, when i did a cool winner with the 1bh down the line is just like stoped for a while and looked at myself, the way you end the stroke looks beautiful, i mean, the stroke itself looks really good, the power is incredible, even for the first time trying it i was getting some good pace and top, i have the technique i just have to work it out, my father and i were talking and i told him i like felt uncomfortable with 2 hbh and he told me, then he told me, then your a 1hbhder, its up to you, but if i were you, i would switch, it will benefit your game, that left me thinking, anyways thanks for yout comments.

down_shift
09-11-2006, 07:26 PM
Yeah no problem man, just do whatever you feel comfortable doing. If 2hbh feels weird then don't do it, just keep working on that 1hbh and soon it will feel natural after hitting a couple hundred balls.

nadalito92
09-11-2006, 08:43 PM
yeah i feel the 1hbh more natural

DX_Psycho
09-11-2006, 08:49 PM
the 1hbh ALWAYS feels more natural unless you're really weak. the case is: it takes more work but it looks very cool if you can work it out. i use a 2hbh. i was considering switching to 1hbh but after i worked out left-arm dominance on the 2hbh, i think it also looks beuatiful. look at safin's backhand down the line and tell me that doesn't look as nice as gasquet's down the line. go with one and stick to it. if youre' going to switch, do it without hesitation. jumping aorund will only hurt you in the long run.

nadalito92
09-11-2006, 08:51 PM
yeah, and i think that going to the gym is going to help with the 1hbh

darknight08
09-11-2006, 09:02 PM
hehe i can do both

AngeloDS
09-11-2006, 10:09 PM
I can do both but I prefer the one handed backhand simply because it's less stressful on the knees and is less injury prone. Though, the two handed has great advantages as you can deal with balls that are higher and serves, get more power, use more body into the shot, it's a lot more stable and it's a mildly easy stroke to learn.

As a result, I don't have injuries but I do say that it's my weaker side. I face balls that are coming to head/chest height, and it's difficult to deal with them. I'm put on a defensive or nuetral position maybe 70% of the time on my backhand, which costs me.

Ideally, you need good footwork and want to take them at hip level or lower and have your knees bent. It's difficult once you're on the run, once you're actually playing.

Practice I can hit balls with my eyes closed, between the legs, two handed, left handed, right handed and other stuff but in game a lot of that stuff you just don't do because it won't work.

westside
09-11-2006, 10:12 PM
I've always had a 1hbh. 2h doesn't feel right with me.

prorain
09-11-2006, 10:19 PM
is it bad to do both? because i use a 2hander but have always wanted to try 1h

Chang
09-12-2006, 12:23 AM
I like the one handed backhand because it feels more natural. I find it more manouverable and capable of generating good angles when hit with an more open stance.

Jonny S&V
09-13-2006, 04:50 AM
I use the 1-hander out of necesitie (sp?). My left arm is half of what my right arm is (and my right arm isn't much to speak of either. With the western grip on your forehand, I would gradually add in the 1-hander. Use it in practice and then gradually add it into your matches. PS: Learn the slice and flat with the continental first (old-school style) and then gradually switch over to an eastern, extreme eastern, and if you can use it without breaking your arm, the semi-western.

quest01
09-13-2006, 08:53 AM
I use a 2 handed backhand. Ive used a 1 hander but the 2 hander seems more natural to me. I can hit a 1 hander fine for the most part but my 2 hander is much more consistent. I dont have to worry about hitting the ball out on my 2 hander. My 2 hander is almost Agassi like, well not quite.

ATXtennisaddict
09-13-2006, 09:42 AM
I was using the 2hbh but realized my motion felt limited. Last night, used 1hbh and i was killing! I'm gonna stick to 1hbh now.

jsiu
09-13-2006, 11:27 AM
I can do both but I prefer the one handed backhand simply because it's less stressful on the knees and is less injury prone.
I'm no doctor, but I would've thought the one-handed backhand would be more injury prone as it uses (typically) weaker muscle groups compared to the 2-handed backhand. Whereas the power in a 2-hander comes more from the legs and torso/core, in the 1-hander, it comes the shoulders and forearm (as well as the legs). Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

I switched from a 1-hander to a 2-hander early in my tennis life and have never had any injury issues with it.

jsiu
09-13-2006, 11:32 AM
look at safin's backhand down the line and tell me that doesn't look as nice as gasquet's down the line.

Agreed. I use a 2-hander and Safin's and Nalbandian's backhands are super sexy. The way they can just tear the ball with seemingly little effort is just beautiful and something to admire. Sometimes, I think their backhands are even sexier than Federer's...sometimes.