PDA

View Full Version : Serve help

Viper
09-11-2006, 07:10 PM
Lets say I'm a junior who just picked up tennis (not true) what would be the most helpful way to learn to serve. Start from the very beginning with huge amounts of details. I'm requesting this because I was taught to serve the wrong way, and it's letting me down in matches.

jimiforpres
09-12-2006, 12:36 PM
If you want to have a good serve, you are going to have to have someone who can correct you when you are doing something wrong. It is extremely difficult to serve well just by being told what to do or watching what to do. Sometimes what you are doing feels like what you should be doing but it really isn't, so you will start to form bad habits thinking what you are doing is correct. If you can't get a teaching pro to help you, try imitating a pro's serve and posting a video of you doing it on the boards. Then we might be able to help you.

JCo872
09-12-2006, 12:54 PM
Lets say I'm a junior who just picked up tennis (not true) what would be the most helpful way to learn to serve. Start from the very beginning with huge amounts of details. I'm requesting this because I was taught to serve the wrong way, and it's letting me down in matches.

From what I've found, the first trick is making sure you are using a continental grip. If not, that alone will take you some serious practice to adjust to.

If you have the grip down, compare yourself to a video of a pro serve. Note the key reference points and stand in front of a mirror and imitate them.

From my experience here are some keys:

1) Tossing arm must fully extend and continue to extend straight up after releasing the ball.

2) Get good upper body coil by twisting your shoulders. The high tossing arm will aid in this coil.

3) Drive your hitting shoulder up which will cause your hitting arm to collapse down your back.

4) Reach up for the ball and prontate!

You can see Johannson doing this here:
http://www.hi-techtennis.com/serve/begin.php

Good luck!

Jeff