PDA

View Full Version : PK Redondo!!!!!!!!!!!

sigep1967
09-11-2006, 08:40 PM
Wow demoed o the 98 tonight and have found the racket for me. I have been looking at the Mfil200 18x20 and realy liked it but the Redondo blows it away!!!! every shot just seems welll easy!:p Hit the best serves of my life with this frame!! I put 8 grams of lead at 3-9 before even starting to bring the sw up to the 337 and it just ROCKS!! What are some good strings and tensions for this stick. Was thinking about Klip Excellarator or X-1 biophase 17 at about 60-62 lbs. Anyone out there have some good suggestions? It was strung with NXT 16 pretty loose but still hit well like that.

anirut
09-11-2006, 08:59 PM
Welcome to the club, sigep!

I guess you've probably made it around 2 pts head-heavier. I guess you stick's now around 7-8 pts HL? Hey, if it suits you, go ahead and enjoy!

Have you read about my setup in the other thread?

MTChong
09-11-2006, 09:04 PM
Go for that Excellerator; but if you're going to do a full job, just go for a Klip Legend and Gosen synth cross hybrid for just a couple bucks more and a super nice feel in that racquet.

sigep1967
09-11-2006, 09:05 PM
yes came out exactly 8pl hl felt great just had a crappy string job. was again amazed at the spin i could produce and how easy it served. come on fellows give me some direction on strings and tensions!!!!

sigep1967
09-11-2006, 09:08 PM
Mtchong the only thing that worries me about a hybrid is tension loss in the none gut strings. I am not a string breaker and wasting a half job of gut would **** me off:mrgreen: I would go full gut but my wife is going to kill me already when I bring home a couple of new racquets :p I did sell me Maxplys so that offsets some of it but i will have to hide the bill.:rolleyes: I have a nice pool cue that I will sell if someone is interested hahaha.

splitstep
09-11-2006, 09:25 PM
I've had my Redondo 98 strung with X1-Biphase at 60lbs and I've been pretty happy with it. When I demoed the racket, it had Wilson NXT on it which was pretty nice too.

anirut
09-11-2006, 09:39 PM
Call me cheap ...:)... I only use synthetic, at 61.5 lbs.

Only when I finish my reel then I might try multi.

MTChong
09-11-2006, 10:18 PM
Mtchong the only thing that worries me about a hybrid is tension loss in the none gut strings. I am not a string breaker and wasting a half job of gut would **** me off:mrgreen: I would go full gut but my wife is going to kill me already when I bring home a couple of new racquets :p I did sell me Maxplys so that offsets some of it but i will have to hide the bill.:rolleyes: I have a nice pool cue that I will sell if someone is interested hahaha.

It's not too much a problem; prestretch the crosses and string them 2 lbs tighter to compensate - and either way, the tighter mains will still provide a tighter feel without ruining the stringjob. My gut hybrid has been in my racquet for two months or so now (becuase I've not been able to play much to get them to pop - and they're 16g in such a dense pattern). It still plays fine - in fact, I think I strung it too tight to begin with at 62/62.

newnuse
09-12-2006, 01:22 AM
Congrats Sigep,

I recently switched over to the Redondo as well. It's a terrific racket. I demo'ed the 93" and 98" versions. I liked the 93" version. Good luck with the racket.

basil J
09-12-2006, 05:25 AM
Sigep, I totally understand the whole wife thing. They just don't get that we need our toys!The best string set up I have used to date has been 17"Klip excellerator at 62#. I have tried some klip hybrids with poly and the play great out of the box, but I have experienced some drop in power as the strings fatigue and the polys saw through the crosses pretty quickly. I think full gut would be the best on this frame. I have a bunch of sets of strings I have to use up, but when they are done, I am going with either full multi or gut. That seems to give the best balance of power/control & comfort.
Good luck..

chair ump
09-12-2006, 05:28 AM
PK is the rockingest

anirut
09-12-2006, 05:34 AM
PK is the rockingest

You mean to say "the most rocking"?

sigep1967
09-12-2006, 05:42 AM
basil how much power does the excellorators string have is it close to gut? I believe that is what I want but TW is out of it in the 17g.:confused:

sigep1967
09-12-2006, 06:08 AM
So which is better the Klip Lightning hybrid which is gut and excellarator or the Screamer which is gut and scorcher?

chair ump
09-12-2006, 07:32 AM
You mean to say "the most rocking"?

Actually I meant to say the "most rockingest" :cool:

sigep1967
09-12-2006, 08:20 AM
Well just ordered 2 pf the mid+ 98's with klip legend 17g at 60# went all gut cause they had it on sale for 19.99!!!!!!!! I hope it works out good with that tension.

sigep1967
09-13-2006, 12:00 PM
Just got my 2 redondo's in from TW!!!!!!!! Strung up with Klip ledgend 17g. Already leaded up and ready to play tonight!!! Now this is customer service from TW. I noticed on eof them had some "teeth" marks from stringing and called to let them know. The customer service rep was going to get me to send it back but I basically wanted to let them know that if I had problems with that string after use I would send it back for restringing and he said no problem and noted it on my account. Hopefully it is not going to be and real damage to the string and I won't have to resort to that but I was very pleased with the way it was handled.:mrgreen:

anirut
09-13-2006, 12:14 PM
HI Sigep,

Should I say something like what's usually written on the first page of a product user manual? Something like: "Congratulations on your purchase of a fine tennis racket. Please read the instructions carefully to enjoy years of good play. Make sure that you understand how to operate the racket well before you take it to the court." ... blah, blah ...

Welcome to the club, man!

basil J
09-13-2006, 12:45 PM
Take the plastic off of the handle and you own it my Redondo brutha!!

sigep1967
09-13-2006, 12:52 PM
Plastic is already off and I got alot of strange looks as I sat here at my desk and applied the lead tape :rolleyes: and of course a few experimental swings haha

sigep1967
09-13-2006, 07:37 PM
well went and played tonight served great really played well but the string job should have been about 3-4 lbs tighter:( they started moving right away and frayed quickly! I had it strung with Klip legend 17g at 60 lbs but I think the machines at TW must not be constant pull because it sure didn't feel as tight as the 58lb string job i had done at Playerschoice on the Maxply with their constant pull machines:( . Oh well live and learn. When these break I will get them done at Playerchoice I guess. the only problem is te 1 hr drive over and they don't have Klop strings only babalot. I really like the feel of the Klip better. They don't even seem to want to string the Klip.

anirut
09-13-2006, 09:20 PM
Sigep,

I don't know how much lead you put in there. What I've found is that with a little too much lead (6+ grams) in the Redondo hoop, the darn thing will make balls fly and your string tension will "feel low" and mushy at play. This happens with my synthetic strings. This effect, IMO, could be more pronounced in the mid+ due to larger hitting surface area.

You could try removing the lead and see how it plays.

I have only 3 grams in the hoop of my mid and 10 grams in the handle.

Hope this helps.

tempura_MAKI
09-13-2006, 10:58 PM
Now I've got the question for yall redondo owners... hows the power, pop, and sweetspot on this racquet? would you choose this over the dunlop m-fil 200's and 300's? does this just blow the dam paint off every other racquet? discuss, please. all these redondo threads dont pop up for a reason.

chowdhurynaveen
09-13-2006, 11:20 PM
Yes! Please all redondo users please give your input on the above question. In addition, if you did not like the mfil 200 (18x20), why, what does the redondo do better? Please specify the head size your using as well.

Thanx! :D

anirut
09-13-2006, 11:26 PM
Maki,

I can't compare the Redondo to the m-Fil's as I have never played them, and no offense to any brand here. I play the Mid -- 90.

But, if you like something that's simple, old school, no frills, no BS, in a new, easier-to-play package, the Redondo is it. You can play touch and you can really rip the ball -- as long as you have the strokes for it.

I'm not sure if the Redondo will compliment modern full-western strokes very well. I may be wrong. Please correct me on this.

The Redondo is the answer to the demands of players who like 100% graphite rackets. We don't need any more technology than 100% graphite.

Oh, and look at the price of this baby ... one of the lowest price for a new-release racket. Other brands may be cheaper now, but that's clearance discount ... Why the Redondo's lower-priced? Because there's no BS tech and no endorsement.

It's a stick that gives you what you put in.

tempura_MAKI
09-13-2006, 11:28 PM
Maki,

I can't compare the Redondo to the m-Fil's as I have never played them, and no offense to any brand here. I play the Mid -- 90.

But, if you like something that's simple, old school, no frills, no BS, in a new, easier-to-play package, the Redondo is it. You can play touch and you can really rip the ball -- as long as you have the strokes for it.

I'm not sure if the Redondo will compliment modern full-western strokes very well. I may be wrong. Please correct me on this.

The Redondo is the answer to the demands of players who like 100% graphite rackets. We don't need any more technology than 100% graphite.

Oh, and look at the price of this baby ... one of the lowest price for a new-release racket. Other brands may be cheaper now, but that's clearance discount ... Why the Redondo's lower-priced? Because there's no BS tech and no endorsement.

It's a stick that gives you what you put in.

compared to other graphite racquets, or any higher end racquets in general, does this stick have good power and pop for its weight, stiffnes, and complete graphite construction?

anirut
09-13-2006, 11:33 PM
Maki,

No offense. May be you could try a search on my comparison of the Redondo against the Dunlop Revelation Tour 90 (an ancestor of the m-Fil 200), the Volkl Tour 10VE Mid and the PC600. It wrote that sometime in early June I think.

And, yes, the racket's simple 100% graphite (at least per manufacturer's claim).

tempura_MAKI
09-13-2006, 11:36 PM
You know what, you're right. I apologize for hijacking this thread I totally blew the searching feature off. Thanks for the help anirut

anirut
09-13-2006, 11:39 PM
Maki, You're welcome!

tempura_MAKI
09-13-2006, 11:53 PM
One quick question... does the redondo have the traditional "thwap!" like most modern racquets do? I know it may seem odd, but this is a pet peeve of mine. This is very important. lol.

anirut
09-14-2006, 12:05 AM
One quick question... does the redondo have the traditional "thwap!" like most modern racquets do? I know it may seem odd, but this is a pet peeve of mine. This is very important. lol.

Sorry, mate, I don't understand what you mean by the "thwap!" thing ...

sigep1967
09-14-2006, 04:46 AM
Anirut I have about 8 grams in the hoop at 3-9. It was not that the strings felt mushy it was the strings sliding all over the place and fraying up that had me a little ill. Nothing a little higher tension on a lock out machine would not cure or the same tension on a constant pull machine and it does make a huge difference!
As to the question of some about the difference between this one and the Mfil 200 for me it was mainly serving. i can hammer serves with the redondo. everything else was about the same. Though the feel with the Mfil was rather muted compared to the redondo. For me there is plenty of power but then again I don't hit those loopy topspin groundies unless I have too. I hit hard and flat and try to keep the oponent on hit heels behind the baseline so I can take the net.

ajs72us
09-14-2006, 04:49 AM
I would like to see one and the only picture I can find is of the mid size. Is it a head heavy racquet?:mrgreen:

anirut
09-14-2006, 05:07 AM
Siep:

I hit hard and flat too and normally don't go for looping tops groundies. One thing I found last night was that the Redondo gives really wicked, deep, low backhand slices on approaches.

If I need to loop something it's normally defensive, like pulled out wide. I'd usually use that wrist-flickin' forehand instead.

I also like that "raw" softness of racket itself with out use of dampener or any "soft sensation technology". You know what I mean.

OOPS! I forgot ... my Super Redondo's foam-filled ... so it's veeerrrryyyy soft.
----

Ajs72:

The Redondo's headlight, 10 pts by standard spec (which I have also found to be so when I balanced it prior to customization). I don't use a mid+ but, from what I've heard, it seems the hitting area is actually a 95, just like a Radical MP.

sigep1967
09-14-2006, 05:52 AM
Held up to the Mfill 200 they were almost exactly the same size so 95 sounds right. anirut you game sounds alot like mine old school type strokes only putting the big topspin when needed. I hope you knees and back are in better shape than mine though:rolleyes: . If I could move like I did when I was 18 and playing everyday I would probably be playing the best tennis of my life but alas father time and too many baseball games behind the plate have caught up to me. Oh one more thing I have GOT to get my own stringer!

anirut
09-14-2006, 06:03 AM
Sigep: If the 1967 is your year of birth, I'm 1966... LOL.

Gettin' ol we are, eh?

basil J
09-14-2006, 10:26 AM
Try 1961??? You young whipper snappers.... Oh to be 40 again LOL

sigep1967
09-14-2006, 10:32 AM
Nice to know there are a few of old farts on these boards:p . Especially ones who remember what a real racquet should feel like.

tempura_MAKI
09-14-2006, 12:41 PM
Sorry, mate, I don't understand what you mean by the "thwap!" thing ...

Sorry I didnt make it clear enough. "thwap" was referring to the noise the racquet makes when the ball is hit decently. Kinda like the noise you hear when pro's make contact on telivised tennis. For some reason when the thwap is absent mentally I think of lack of power, that is why I wanted to know.

basil J
09-14-2006, 04:44 PM
Read my review. The redondo makes a very distictive "thwap" when you hit the ball. personally I like it, and If I am hearing it all match, it reminds me that I hitting well.

tempura_MAKI
09-14-2006, 06:42 PM
Read my review. The redondo makes a very distictive "thwap" when you hit the ball. personally I like it, and If I am hearing it all match, it reminds me that I hitting well.

Right on!!