PDA

View Full Version : Close your legs when serving

tennis_hand
09-11-2006, 07:45 PM
I notice that Federer doesn't move his right leg closer to the left leg when the ball reaches the highest point, but most other pros do so.

Any opinions on this?

ShcMad
09-11-2006, 07:52 PM
You mean Federer doesn't have the pinpoint stance serve motion? Some pros do and others don't. I think it's all preference. Agassi or Roddick or Gasquet don't have it either. They just use the platform stance. While as Safin or Baghdatis use the pinpoint.

supersmash
09-11-2006, 08:52 PM
You mean Federer doesn't have the pinpoint stance serve motion? Some pros do and others don't. I think it's all preference. Agassi or Roddick or Gasquet don't have it either. They just use the platform stance. While as Safin or Baghdatis use the pinpoint.

Roddick does both.. and then you get that ******** stance.

tarheels2323
09-11-2006, 08:56 PM

Seems to work well though, doesn't it?

tennis_hand
09-11-2006, 09:17 PM
Seems to work well though, doesn't it?

you forgot he had a back injury this year.

arosen
09-11-2006, 09:21 PM
you forgot he had a back injury this year.

I doubt it was his serve that caused the injury, he doesnt bend his back like, say, Edberg did.

ucd_ace
09-11-2006, 10:08 PM
Tennisone.com did a study on platform v. pinpoint. They found that using a pinpoint stance causes you to lose power on your serve. However, the difference is so small... something like .38% (I think, but it was a long time ago)... that they recommended that you do whatever is most comfortable for you because there's no practical effect on the serve.

Say Chi Sin Lo
09-11-2006, 10:47 PM
I dont use the pinpoint stance because i tend to foot fault while i shift my other foot.

nickybol
09-12-2006, 12:47 AM
That stance is one of the reasons he can serve at such a high speed.

pNoyr3D
09-12-2006, 07:15 AM
I currently use the platform stance I guess, haha. I don't move my right leg forward when I serve. All I do is toss the ball slightly to my right and forward than bend my legs than jump forward and hit the ball with the slice. It gives me good power and good consistency.

I would really like to learn the roddick serve though, haha. Seems to give tremendous amounts of power.

Andres
09-12-2006, 08:01 AM
I would really like to learn the roddick serve though, haha. Seems to give tremendous amounts of power.
To him, not to us ;)

guygee
09-12-2006, 09:19 AM
I have enough trouble trying to incorporate the essential elements into my service motion as I continue to refine and practice my serve, so I try to simplify my motion as much as possible. If Federer and Roddick and Agassi can serve from the platform stance, the pinpoint stance seems to me to just add an unnecessary complication, so I don't use it.

Ten_is
09-12-2006, 09:26 AM
platform v.s. pinpoint

I'd say.. in pinpoint stance you lose power because your hips are setup differently. Are you supposed to have your hips do the turn then coil up with your shoulders rotating?

Federer has his hips out during platform. I havn't seen his rotation though. I say it depends on what's more important to you. Roddick serves at high speeds, but is he a great placer?

US Open Federer killed him in Aces. Although.. yes.. Fed returns just about anything beautifully.

ATXtennisaddict
09-12-2006, 09:36 AM
I currently use the platform stance I guess, haha. I don't move my right leg forward when I serve. All I do is toss the ball slightly to my right and forward than bend my legs than jump forward and hit the ball with the slice. It gives me good power and good consistency.

roddick's serve is not only his form but his body make up.

Ten_is
09-12-2006, 10:04 AM
^^ and style. Fed is smoooth. Roddick is tight. I say Roddick will have an injury really soon. Powerful serves though!

Nextman916
09-12-2006, 10:35 AM
I can do a serve exactly like roddick, its actually alot faster than my normal serve but its hard to get in. He was a huge hero for me a while back and i learned to imitate his serve very well. The only thing that is stopping me from keeping me from this form is the ball toss is inconsistent. Other than that i have learned the exact form and knee bend roddick does, i wish i could video it cuz not many people believe me. Except people at my club who used to actually stop and stare at me serving because of the resemblence and my ability to actually hit a serve like that.