PDA

View Full Version : I have a debate on my hands. The LM prestige or PC 600

prorain
09-11-2006, 10:15 PM
Ive been using the Lm prestige for a couple of years now and recently changed to the pc 600. Im a real heavy hitter so i would think i needed less power. I would say in terms of being a "player's Racquet" the pc 600 stands higher. Im still trying to get used to the pc 600 as i miss hit occasionally even though my LM prestige was also a mid size. I only changed to the pc 600 after i heard marat safin uses it :rolleyes:

anyways racquet seems pretty good, the thing is i havent tried it with my ideal string combo so ill have to see how that turns out. Im also looking to add lead tape to the pc 600 because im have trouble generating a powerful 2hbh.

Bogie
09-11-2006, 10:34 PM
id go with the pc 600. you just cant beat those classic graphite frame + i much rather prefer the pc over the lm because of the lm's high swingweight.

Deuce
09-12-2006, 12:57 AM
I prefer the Prestige Classic 600 over the LiquidMetal Prestige Mid because the LM Prestige Mid is a real piece of garbage.

morten
09-12-2006, 01:12 AM
flexpoint prestige mid is great IMO.

War, Safin!
09-12-2006, 03:43 AM
I prefer the Prestige Classic 600 over the LiquidMetal Prestige Mid because the LM Prestige Mid is a real piece of garbage.
I found exactly the opposite: been using the Prestige Classic 600 since January and loved it but I now find that the Liquidmetal Prestige (well, mine anyway!) is a superior racquet in every area.
My Prestige Classic is now only used as backup when my LM is being restrung.
:confused:

Richie Rich
09-12-2006, 05:34 AM
i'd go with the lm since as the PC's get older they have a tendancy for the head to break down and deform over time - due to all the forces the head is put under during stringing . this is especially true if they are strung the wrong way.

Janne
09-12-2006, 06:46 AM
Could you post a comparative review between the LM Prestige and the PC 600 since I´m interested in them (I´ve heard the PC 600 is very arm-friendly which is a huge plus for me)?

Others who have played with both, feel free to write a review you too. ;)

vsbabolat
09-12-2006, 08:19 AM
I could not have said it better myself. I thought the LM Prestige kind of felt like a Premier Tour 600 but with a 18/20 string pattern.

prorain if you can find the right weight, balance, and swing weight of the Prestige Classic 600 for your game you will find that it is one amazing frame. The vibration from the LM Prestige really hurt my wrist and elbow when I was experimenting with it. Also the bending and twisting of the hoop of the frame was not pleasent. I did make the LM Prestige the same weight, balance and swing weight as my Prestige Classic 600. All I am trying to say is the Prestige Classic 600 is better in every way over the LM Prestige.

War, Safin!
09-12-2006, 08:24 AM
Could you post a comparative review between the LM Prestige and the PC 600 since Im interested in them (Ive heard the PC 600 is very arm-friendly which is a huge plus for me)?

Others who have played with both, feel free to write a review you too. ;)
Disclaimer: this is from my own personal experience and not a generalisation of the racquets! ;)

Prestige Classic 600 - mid
* great serving racquet, very accurate
* good contact and feel on the ball due to 18x20 string pattern
* slice volleys can be hit with a lot of power
* generates 'heavy' ball from baseline with a full swing
* good topspin when hit low-to-higher than normal
* needs good string (and I'd recommend at no more than 60lb, unless you don't have problems with elbow) and lead-tape to really get a 'plow-through' effect on ball
* small sweetspot - got to have good technique....probably be ideal for a 4.5/5.0 and above to get full benefits

LiquidMetal Prestige - mid
* all of the above and more.

bee
09-12-2006, 10:29 AM
I have both, strung with natural gut 17g.

Agree that the Prestige LM Mid does everything better.

Like many here, I really wanted to like the PC600 more. More of a purist's racquet, a classic, a real player's racquet...but the LM Mid is better.

It's easier on the arm because it's more flexible. It has more power. The beam is just a bit thicker and it's designed with the twin-tube structure which gives it a bit more pop. It does feel heavier although somewhere I saw a spec of them being the same weight. It has more stability and plowthrough. Compared to the LM Mid the PC600 feels stiffer, lighter and less powerful. I've added some lead weight to the head of one of my PC600's but haven't tried it yet. No need to do that with the LM Mid. It's a beast right out of the box!

War, Safin!
09-12-2006, 11:00 AM
I have both, strung with natural gut 17g.

Agree that the Prestige LM Mid does everything better.

Like many here, I really wanted to like the PC600 more. More of a purist's racquet, a classic, a real player's racquet...but the LM Mid is better.

It's easier on the arm because it's more flexible. It has more power. The beam is just a bit thicker and it's designed with the twin-tube structure which gives it a bit more pop. It does feel heavier although somewhere I saw a spec of them being the same weight. It has more stability and plowthrough. Compared to the LM Mid the PC600 feels stiffer, lighter and less powerful. I've added some lead weight to the head of one of my PC600's but haven't tried it yet. No need to do that with the LM Mid. It's a beast right out of the box!
Exactly - it's the same with the Prostaff Original: hardcore fans won't admit that the Prostaff Tour90 is a superior racquet cos it's still got that 'mythical' Sampras/14-Slams status attached to it.
Anyway, Sampras was ready to ditch it in 2003 for the Tour90 so whatever...

harryz
09-12-2006, 12:17 PM
is better. I played for many years with the grey/green prestige, the tour, the PC 600 and the Classic Mid. The PC 600 was my favorite of them all. The LM mid has even better feel and more pop. It actually feels a bit light to me, but that's because the bumper guard on mine was cut down so that only grommets remain. I added lead at 3/9 and on the handle to see how that works. Hopefully the SW will be closer to 360 or so, where I like it. Regardless, the thing is sweet off the ground, at net and especially on the serve and overhead. Straight to heaven for me. I wouldn't go back to the PS 85 or PC 600 after using this.

prorain
09-12-2006, 05:01 PM
Well im gonna try applying lead tape to the pc 600 first. Like i said, i found the Lm prestige a little too powerful on some shots. and i just hated the flexpoint prestige for some reason. ill see if lead tape + strings will make the PC 600 my Ultimate racquet.

Deuce
09-12-2006, 09:23 PM
I could not have said it better myself. I thought the LM Prestige kind of felt like a Premier Tour 600 but with a 18/20 string pattern.

Yup - I thought the same thing when I hit with the LM Prestige Mid.
And everyone here knows how much I hate the Premier...

War, Safin!
09-13-2006, 03:17 AM
Yup - I thought the same thing when I hit with the LM Prestige Mid.
And everyone here knows how much I hate the Premier...
I guess racquet choice is really down to whatever 'feels' good overall as opposed to what makes you play more effectively: I've been thru Prostaff Original 85, Prostaff Tour90, NCode Tour90., Babolat Pure Drive+ and Prestige Classic 600.
The LiquidMetal Prestige works for me on all levels: feel, playability, power, control and it's easy on the arm - this was my main concern and therefore it came down to a straight choice between the PC600 and the LMP - and the LMP wins it.

Tennis Man
09-25-2006, 04:57 PM

could you elaborate on this? Why "piece of garbage"? What are you palying with just for me to compare ...

tandayu
09-25-2006, 05:20 PM
could you elaborate on this? Why "piece of garbage"? What are you palying with just for me to compare ...

He (deuce) has been playing with all the classic Head frames like Graphite edge (the best raw feel Head made during their bright moment in the 80s), etc.

I can understand where he is coming from. I myself has tried the frame back from XRC, Graphite edge (matte and glossy), Graphite edge 2, Graphite edge TXE, graphite Pro (black, euro, turquise), and all the prestige lines.

Totally different in terms of playability, quality, etc.

If you think LM prestige is good frame, consider yourself lucky to be born this way. I have hard time understanding why Head is going this direction.

Deuce
09-25-2006, 10:42 PM
He (deuce) has been playing with all the classic Head frames like Graphite edge (the best raw feel Head made during their bright moment in the 80s), etc.

I can understand where he is coming from. I myself has tried the frame back from XRC, Graphite edge (matte and glossy), Graphite edge 2, Graphite edge TXE, graphite Pro (black, euro, turquise), and all the prestige lines.

Totally different in terms of playability, quality, etc.

If you think LM prestige is good frame, consider yourself lucky to be born this way. I have hard time understanding why Head is going this direction.

That's well explained, Alex.

If you think LM prestige is good frame, consider yourself lucky to be born this way.
That's pure classic.
That's what I've thought all along - that the people who like the feel (or lack of feel) of the newer frames have never played with older frames, and so thay don't have the older frames to measure against. Or they played with newer frames for a while, and got used to their feel (which I generally refer to as "garbage"), and they only tried the older frames after they were accustomed to the new feel.

What I find difficult to understand is people who began playing with older frames (like the Prestige Classic), but prefer newer frames like the LM Prestige. To me, this is proof that the apocalypse is just around the corner.

Tennis Man
09-26-2006, 05:26 AM

If you think LM prestige is good frame, consider yourself lucky to be born this way.
That's pure classic.
That's what I've thought all along - that the people who like the feel (or lack of feel) of the newer frames have never played with older frames, and so thay don't have the older frames to measure against. Or they played with newer frames for a while, and got used to their feel (which I generally refer to as "garbage"), and they only tried the older frames after they were accustomed to the new feel.

What I find difficult to understand is people who began playing with older frames (like the Prestige Classic), but prefer newer frames like the LM Prestige. To me, this is proof that the apocalypse is just around the corner.

Well, I do play with PS 85 (my main stick) b/c it's the most comfortable small frame I ever played with. I admit I never played with PC 600 or earlier versions of Prestige. However, I find LM a very versatile racquet despite of its strange feel and I'd never call it "garbage".

and yes ... "Every generation laughs at the old fashions, but follows religiously the new."

vsbabolat
09-26-2006, 08:18 AM
Alex and Duece,
You guys have really done a good job on describing why some of us really like the way the older racquets play.

Alex, By the way did you ever get my e-mail answering those questions or did I make a mistake and it not get to you.

tandayu
09-26-2006, 07:14 PM
Alex and Duece,
You guys have really done a good job on describing why some of us really like the way the older racquets play.

Alex, By the way did you ever get my e-mail answering those questions or did I make a mistake and it not get to you.

Got all of it vsbabolat, and Isaved all your e-mails. THANK YOU

root
09-29-2006, 10:47 AM
regarding LM Prestige having a "modern feel" - IMHO it's the racquet which has retained more "classic feel" than everything else on market currently.

I personally played for 6 years with Head Satellite Tours, which should have a very classic feel - 12 oz, 56RDC. Sadly I ran out of my supply and did go demoing around. My verdicts:

Völkl DNX9 - adequate power, mediocre feeling, wierd balance - didn't like it
Völkl DNX10 - no power, almost ok feeling, ok balance - all ok, but no power/spin...
Wilson nSixOne 95 18x16 - good power, NO feeling at all, balance ok on groundies but wierd on serve - good plan B
Head LM Prestige MP - good power, wonderful feel, good balance - winner for me!

What surprised me was that how close LM Prestige felt to my Satellite and how different others were. Or I'm just spoiled with "Head feel"... :) But on the other hand, that means Head has succeeded in replicating this feel in newer frames using newer technologies also.

War, Safin!
09-29-2006, 12:53 PM

That's pure classic.

I find it equally difficult to understand those who won't ever change racquets and stubbornly stick with one racquet (Prostaff 6.0 users, especially - and those who hate the Prostaff Tour90).
I love the PC600...but to call it's successor a 'piece of garbage'??? I don't understand that mentallity at all.

I can play great tennis with the Prestige Classic 600 (the first Prestige I ever used).
I can play even better tennis with the Liquidmetal Prestige.

But I guess at the end of the day, it's 'horses for courses'

Tennis Man
09-29-2006, 01:09 PM
I find it equally difficult to understand those who won't ever change racquets and stubbornly stick with one racquet (Prostaff 6.0 users, especially - and those who hate the Prostaff Tour90).
I love the PC600...but to call it's successor a 'piece of garbage'??? I don't understand that mentallity at all.

I can play great tennis with the Prestige Classic 600 (the first Prestige I ever used).
I can play even better tennis with the Liquidmetal Prestige.

But I guess at the end of the day, it's 'horses for courses'

Good job, War on Safin ... and I thought I was a "traditional" tennis player :( I guess LM Prestige made me "modern" now.

War, Safin!
09-30-2006, 02:28 AM
Good job, War on Safin ... and I thought I was a "traditional" tennis player :( I guess LM Prestige made me "modern" now.
From what I can see on this forum, 'traditional' players, by and large, hate modern frames and are more likely to be mid-30+ guys playing S&V. http://www.fightbeat.com/forums/images/smilies/nixweiss.gif

War, Safin!
09-30-2006, 10:13 AM
Ive been using the Lm prestige for a couple of years now and recently changed to the pc 600. Im a real heavy hitter so i would think i needed less power. I would say in terms of being a "player's Racquet" the pc 600 stands higher. Im still trying to get used to the pc 600 as i miss hit occasionally even though my LM prestige was also a mid size. I only changed to the pc 600 after i heard marat safin uses it :rolleyes:

anyways racquet seems pretty good, the thing is i havent tried it with my ideal string combo so ill have to see how that turns out. Im also looking to add lead tape to the pc 600 because im have trouble generating a powerful 2hbh.
Prorain - have you decided yet???
:mrgreen:

tandayu
09-30-2006, 11:02 AM

To all LM Prestige experts, Why is it named LM Prestige not Prestige LM?

Tennis Man
09-30-2006, 11:53 AM
No need to do that with the LM Mid. It's a beast right out of the box!

I totally agree. No customization needed. The most perfect racquet I ever played with.