PDA

View Full Version : Legal Q: Should I be a part of the Paypal litigation?

Brian Purdie
07-30-2004, 01:09 PM
A lot of us here on the site buy and sell using Paypal, and I think we all got the email about the class action law suit. It is certainly a legitimate law suit, but on what grounds, I don't quite understand. It may be frivoulous, and unwarranted. I am wondering, like a lot of others, if I should put my name on this?

BTW...PLEASE DO MAKE THIS INTO A MORONIC CHARADE OF ANTI-CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT / ANTI-LAWYER POSTINGS. I AM LOOKING FOR PEOPLE'S HONEST, PROFESSIONAL OPINION about whether or not this is a legitimate issue with Paypal.

jayserinos99
07-30-2004, 03:20 PM
I'll be keeping an eye on this as well. I opened up a PayPal account a while ago. From what I read on other boards, everyone gets $50.

Brian Purdie
07-30-2004, 04:45 PM
You may have read the part about the 9.25 million, spilt up among those who have an account, and that may actually represent $50 per person. So is this case already settled?

I kept reading that "Paypal still insists that it did nothing wrong" in the long statement. Does it make a difference if you should fill out the short form or the long form in your filing?

James Brown
07-30-2004, 05:10 PM
read the whole thing. personally, i feel its a whole lot of trouble to go through to get ommitted from the list. what happens if i dont get omitted? are we actually getting $50? If so, what are we giving up to get this.

mlee2
07-30-2004, 09:00 PM
The $50 is given among people who ACTUALLY FILE A 'Dispute Resolution' CLAIM. A short form claim to be precise. There's a link somewhere to it. Paypal can still call you on making a fake claim, so I would think it best not to lie about getting "improper" transfers and what not if that's what most of you are planning. Perjury is a felony.

The long form is used if you sincerely think you got royally screwed by Paypal in the hundreds or thousands of dollars category. This will be more scrutininzed, I believe, as you have to put into detail how, when, and what instances emails you got during the alleged improper transactions with Paypal.

*edit* Actually, to get any amount of money requires an online claim and mailing a certification paper basically saying you're not lying under penalty of perjury. It's certified once it's signed by you.

Then there's the statutory fund that is automatically given to all people within the class even if Paypal didn't screw you over. That fund is only $1 million and spread out amongst most of the class members, I doubt we'd get more than $10 per account holder.

Just in case anybody was TOO lazy to look for the link to the claim forms...https://www.paypal.com/settlement/