PDA

View Full Version : Pure Storm a shorter Nano Speed RQ7?

TripleB
09-12-2006, 05:14 AM
I was playing with my new Dunlop Maxply McEnroe last night and decided that I had it strung much too tight so I put it back in the bag (getting it restrung with a softer string and about 3 pounds less today). I pulled out the RDX500 Midplus and it just wasn't working for me.

I then went back to my Yonex Nano Speed RQ7 Midplus and my shots felt so sweet with this racquet. They were solid, powerful, controlled, and had amazing spin. But at times I was reminded why I typically prefer a 27" racquet (the NSRQ7 is 27.5"): my service toss is way too low so getting the racquet around on my serve is a little difficult (I know, toss the ball higher, but it's difficult to break a 20 year old habit) and the racquet, with the extra 1/2", is a little slow on volleys (solid but slow).

I tried to take specs similar to the Nano Speed RQ7 and use the Racquet Finder Tool. Unfortunately most of the racquets with similar specs have 18 main strings and my game relies heavily on spin so I tend to shy away from racquets with more than 16.

Racquets with 16 mains and similar specs are:
- Babolat Pure Storm Team
- Dunlop M-Fil 200 Plus '06
- Dunlop M-Fil 300
- Fischer M Speed Pro Number One Light 98
- Prince 03 White (but I just finished a playtest of this racquet and it's not for me)
- Prince 03 Hybrid Shark Midplus

The only thing that concerns me with the above racquets is the power level. For some reason I just get a lot of controllable power out of the Nano Speed RQ7 (strung with Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power 16L mains @ 60 pounds and Gosen OG Sheep Micro 16g crosses at 58 pounds).

Do you think any of the above racquets might play similar to a shortened version of the Nano Speed RQ7?

I thought maybe the Pure Storm but when I playtested it back in 2004 the only thing that stood out was the excellent combo of power and control. At the time I tested it I really wasn't "into" lighter racquets since I had been playing with the POG Mid and Hyper ProStaff 6.1.

Also, is there a new Storm coming out? Any chance the Pure Storm might be droping in price soon?

Thanks for any input!!!

TripleB

PS: Hopefully reducing the tension and string at 57 pounds will make the Maxply McEnroe work perfectly and I won't have to look any further!!!

phat
09-12-2006, 06:47 AM
BBB, I thought you are getting the PD roddick... Pure Storm is a very all round racquet, the power level is definitely below a PD Roddick, but the spin department is just a hair below. If you want to customize the PS (as you mentioned the weight concern), start be adding weight in the handle first, than work with the 3, 9, 12 o'clock.... My friend has one and that's how he did it and it played a bit more HL and stable than stock.

TripleB
09-12-2006, 07:07 AM
BBB, I thought you are getting the PD roddick... Pure Storm is a very all round racquet, the power level is definitely below a PD Roddick, but the spin department is just a hair below. If you want to customize the PS (as you mentioned the weight concern), start be adding weight in the handle first, than work with the 3, 9, 12 o'clock.... My friend has one and that's how he did it and it played a bit more HL and stable than stock.

I really loved the Roddick and it was my favorite racquet of my last playtest review, but once I played with the Yonex Nano Speed RQ7 last night I realized how much better a racquet that isn't so stiff feels.

I know the Maxply McEnroe is a stiffer ( 68 ) racquet but I'm hoping I can soften it up a little with the Yonex Tour Super 850 Feel string at 57 pounds compared to the Yonex Tour Super 850 Pro Spin string at 60 pounds (although I think TW strung it just a tad tighter than the 60 pounds I asked for ;) ).

TripleB

ollinger
09-12-2006, 07:21 AM
Wouldn't you think that the closest thing to a shorter RQ7 is an RQ7 that's been shortened? Even RPNY only charged me $25 to shorten a racquet. But then you wouldn't enjoy the ritual of twenty more racquets to demo.
________
VAPORIZER VIDEO REVIEW (http://vaporizers.tv/)

phat
09-12-2006, 08:34 AM
BBB, are you considering the TF racquets?? I think the TF320 & TF335 16X20 should be on your list.

TripleB
09-12-2006, 08:34 AM
Wouldn't you think that the closest thing to a shorter RQ7 is an RQ7 that's been shortened? Even RPNY only charged me $25 to shorten a racquet. But then you wouldn't enjoy the ritual of twenty more racquets to demo.

I really don't want to go that route. I had a racquet shortened 1/2" around 7 or 8 years ago. I could never get the bottom of the grip built back up to where it felt comfortable. The guy said that it should feel exactly the same (the grip) as it did before he shortened it but it never did.

TripleB

TripleB
09-12-2006, 08:36 AM
BBB, are you considering the TF racquets?? I think the TF320 & TF335 16X20 should be on your list.

I was trying to stay between 10.8 ounces (the weight of my Nano Speed RQ7) and around 11.3 ounces. I'll check it out though.

TripleB

monologuist
09-12-2006, 11:06 AM
the reason your RQ7 has more power than those other frames is b/c of the extra length...if you want the same weight, but similar power, you will have to go up in stiffness, up in headsize, up in beam thickness, or up in swingweight...all of these will then yield a set of disadvantages as well...there are no free rides with this stuff.

For your needs, the Volkl DNX 9 and the Mfil 300 seem like the best candidates. Or have you tried the RDX-300 MP? At least that one is only 27.25".

Given your needs and your self-described game, I don't understand why you don't get a Pure Drive Team (original) or Aeropro Drive and be done with it. There's no better racquet for heavy topspin baseline-based tennis that is lightweight and maneuverable, AND juices up your serve considerably. Yes, yousacrifice the feel and comfort, but that is unavoidable to achieve all the things you are trying to achieve...if you have to have the nice feel, that will mean a thinner beam and more flex, and once you do that, you lose the power, and you'll be back to square one.

TripleB
09-12-2006, 02:21 PM
yousacrifice the feel and comfort

As my body is aging (at a quicker rate recently) the feel and comfort seemed to be moving up in the priority list .

TripleB