PDA

View Full Version : NBMJ and others - more questions re DNX9 - lead, string, etc

BillH
09-12-2006, 07:21 AM
I demoed the DNX9 this past week and was initially pleased with this racquet. My regular racquet is the tour 10VE mid, which I have been very happy with, but decided to try something with a little less weight. Like others, I found the DNX9 good on volleys and groundies, slice was good, and I was happy with the extra pop on my serve. Throughout the week though, I began to feel that I wasn't getting as much pace on my one-handed backhand and slightly mishit forehands as with the tour 10. I suspect this is a timing problem. I ordered the DNX and I am wondering if anyone has had luck with a little lead in the hoop (not too much though or it would swing like the 10) and changes in string tension that might address these problems. I realize the DNX has been discussed repeatedly on this Board, but would appreciate a little insight into what people are doing with their 9s to get a little more stability. Thanks

NoBadMojo
09-12-2006, 08:18 AM
Hey Bill..i dont find the DNX9 to be unstable at all. The sweetspot is every bit as long as your VEMid and somewhat wider. I think you have it figured out..it's likely a timing issue for you..... This frame seems to defy the pickup weight and swings lighter than one might think. The only thing I've done to mine is add leather making it a bit more headlight and that seems to have been enough to smooth things out for me. If you re leading, I would try the lead down low at first rather than in the hoop, especially since you are coming from the VEMid which is more headlight than the DNX9..let us know how thins work out for you if you like.

BillH
09-12-2006, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the response NBMJ - I am definately going to try the leather grip as I would like to see this racquet a little more headlight. Maybe with that and a little more time with the 9 to solve the timing problem, the issue will be resolved. Have you settled on a string tension you feel works best for the 9?

NoBadMojo
09-12-2006, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the response NBMJ - I am definately going to try the leather grip as I would like to see this racquet a little more headlight. Maybe with that and a little more time with the 9 to solve the timing problem, the issue will be resolved. Have you settled on a string tension you feel works best for the 9?

I'm stringing with Klip Legend17 mains and Klip Excellerator 17 x's at 55-56. Started out tighter and with Excellerator (58-59), but as I've become confident with this frame, i am now controlling the easy power I get with this setup with good spin variety.

Django
09-12-2006, 03:21 PM
I switched to the DNX 9 from the Tour 10 Gen 2 and have resisted any effort to modify the new frame. Give it time. To resurrect an earlier thread, do your best to NOT play w/ the DNX 9 the way you did w/ an earlier/heavier racquet. Instead, take advantage of the lighter swingweight.

It's true, you many not intially get as much pace as w/ your Tour 10 VE Mid. But you may be able to get more spin with the faster racquethead speed.

As w/ the Gen 2, I'm using a 17-gauge multifilament strung at 57 pounds. But I'm going through the string nearly twice as fast. It's actually, to me, a good sign as I'm hitting harder and w/ more spin than ever before.

jonolau
09-13-2006, 04:16 AM
It's true, you many not intially get as much pace as w/ your Tour 10 VE Mid. But you may be able to get more spin with the faster racquethead speed.
Exactly right. Just to add on, the more open string pattern on the DNX9 would also contribute to spin generation.

Richard Pur
09-13-2006, 06:00 AM
I switched to the DNX 9 from the Tour 10 Gen 2

I demoed the DNX 9 and thought it was one of the few frames I could play with, but I needed to add lead. After I did, it played a lot better for me.

I plan on demoing the GEN II soon. I need a good serving and special emphasis on volleying. Another thing I need is a racquet that I can block back returns with and a good biting slice backhand. What can I expect from the GEN II in these regards?

Any input greatly appreciated.

BillH,

I think you and I may be thinking the same thing in terms of the DNX 9 and stability. NBMJ commented back to me regarding a statement I made about the DNX 9 and wanting more "stability". He stated, as he did here, that it is a stable racquet. Looking back, I agree with him. But maybe what you and I are looking for from the DNX 9 is a little more plow through effect. That's why I added 2" stripes of lead at 9, 12 & 3. I also added 2 4" stripes on the flat side of the handle (which also helped me in making the grip more Wilson shape). When I was done, I had a 12 ounce racket with probably a slight more headlight balance than stock. It did a lot better for me. But others, including NBMJ and Craig Clark, I believe had said that messing around with lead on this racquet will not do the racquet any justice. I didn't think so, but I may not know any better.

Rich

BillH
09-13-2006, 07:08 AM
BillH,

I think you and I may be thinking the same thing in terms of the DNX 9 and stability. NBMJ commented back to me regarding a statement I made about the DNX 9 and wanting more "stability". He stated, as he did here, that it is a stable racquet. Looking back, I agree with him. But maybe what you and I are looking for from the DNX 9 is a little more plow through effect. That's why I added 2" stripes of lead at 9, 12 & 3. I also added 2 4" stripes on the flat side of the handle (which also helped me in making the grip more Wilson shape). When I was done, I had a 12 ounce racket with probably a slight more headlight balance than stock. It did a lot better for me. But others, including NBMJ and Craig Clark, I believe had said that messing around with lead on this racquet will not do the racquet any justice. I didn't think so, but I may not know any better.

Rich[/QUOTE]

Rich and others - I think your phrase "plow through" hits the nail on the head. Last night I played with my Tour 10VE after sending the DNX9 back to TW yesterday. What I noticed most was the ability of the T10 to block back backhand slice and drive service returns with nice pace that I wasn't able to get with the DNX9. My delimma is that I'm trying a switch to the 9 for the lighter weight - if I load it up with lead, it will end up weighing as much as the T10. If I'm going to have that weight, I would just stick with the 10 since I really like that racquet. I'm hoping that when I get a chance to spend more time with the 9, my timing and technique will come around and solve the problem. Also, I may have to accept that with the 9 and its lighter weight comes some compromises (not as much pace on returns and groundies but better serves and volleys). Worse case scenario - I go back to the Tour 10VE and someone gets a mint DNX9 for cheap!

NoBadMojo
09-13-2006, 07:46 AM
the term 'plow through' is a function of mass in the racquet..there ain't a substitute for that..you need the mass....what you do get with the lighter racquet is a faster collision with the ball which compensates..there is a HUGE tradeoff for having the plow through feeling, and that is all the negatives resulting from less racquet head speed <unless someone can swing something heavy fast all day....most can not>. I think the DNX9 in stock form has a remarkable ablity to be block and chip the ball and to cause backhand slices to penetrate the court for a racquet so light. if someone has short or choppy strokes howver, they are just not going to do well with a frame like this as you need to have longer faster swings to make ths frame work i think.

Django
09-13-2006, 09:17 AM
Regarding the Gen 2, it certainly will "plow through" the ball w/ more mass than the DNX 9. And it's one of the most comfortable racquets at the net, largely because of its stable weight, flexibility, and headlight balance (for maneuverability.)

For me, it was not as strong w/ serves as the DNX 9 -- perhaps because of the same characteristics that help w/ volleys. The (slightly) stiffer DNX 9 is superior here.

As for blocking or chipping back, there's another tradeoff. I agree w/ NBM that you have to 'get the racquet going' to be successful with the DNX 9. Then again, it's maneuverable enough to do just that ...

Django
09-13-2006, 09:21 AM
BillH, I would strongly encourage you to hold off on adding lead tape -- which you rightfully point out would make it closer to the Tour 10. (Then what's the point of switching?)

It's natural to notice what you're giving up when moving to a lighter stick. I'd encourage you to really try to whip that DNX 9 racquethead quickly. Think about depth AND topspin with each groundstroke. Believe me -- the results will fuel your enthusiasm as you move your game in a new direction.

NoBadMojo
09-13-2006, 10:08 AM
Django has a very good understanding of tennis I think..In the perfect world, we'd all be swinging 13oz frames really fast for really long..that would be my choice..problem is, it just isnt very realistic for almost all of us..what I see with many of the old schoolers I have taught over the years is that they are stuck in old notions about tennis and the gear and are afraid or dont see the reason to change their games to keep up with the times and they have tennis stuckage (certainly their priveledge)...everything is faster out there these days <even if you keep your fitness up>; but fitness doesnt cause you to see the ball any sooner. balls are flyin out there these days and it is MUCH easier to get around on the ball with something lighter than something heavier.

BillH
09-13-2006, 10:52 AM
Yeah, I understand that my approach to the game is going to have to change some with the lighter racquet. NBMJ - you identified my feelings these days - I'm 53 and playing guys half my age in tournaments and by the 3rd match of the day in 100 degree heat, that 12.2 ounces starts to feel a little sluggish. I start to feel like I'm late on everthing. I think you all convinced me to hold off on the lead - I may get the leather grip though as I would like the racquet to be little more headlight. I'll also think more about the "whip" and less about the "hammer" when using the 9. I'm anxious to get more familiar with the 9, it immediately improved my serves and volleys and I'm sure the groundies will come around.

BounceHitBounceHit
09-13-2006, 05:00 PM
Fellas,

Take a look back at my DNX 9 thread........there's more new activity and some worthwhile insights, I believe.

If I move to another frame (in a year or two) it will be the DNX 9 or equivalent. Truly a great frame. I sometimes fret I didn't have the patience to stick out the transition period (I hit it for about a month, playing every single day) before bailing.

The DNX 10 mid is also special, and swings way easier than you might expect. If you are in demo mode and like the Volkl 'feel' I'd recommend you take it out for a spin as well.

CC

mileslong
09-13-2006, 05:34 PM
im in hawaii and i brought the DNX9 with me to play here. i put around 3.5"s at 3 and 9 and it just plows through the ball great. very solid. i have no idea what it does to the head weight but im going to add some to the handle tonight and play with it again tomorrow, i think it will make it play even better.

Django
09-13-2006, 07:09 PM
This is falling on deaf ears by now, but if you're gonna add weight to the DNX 9 so it "plows," why not just get the DNX 10?