PDA

View Full Version : 16's SuperChamps?

jimiforpres
09-12-2006, 08:29 AM
I was in 14's champs but I aged up into 16s this month. I played my first ZAT and won it, beating the guy that won the consolation, the 2 seed, 3 seed, and 7 seed, plus a 14s champ who was going to age up in a month so he was playing up.

My question is, what do I need to develop to move up into 16s supers? I play in Texas SW Zone, so if anyone from there coul tell me, that would be great.

I have developed a strong counter-punching game(not pushing). My main weapon is my forehand, which I tend to hit deep in the court and some angles. My backhand is good because I bat left-handed, so my backhand is natural for me. I usually loop it with loads of topspin. I have an OK serve, don't double fault but not too many aces. Holding usually isn't a problem unless I am worn out. I am also nto afraid to come to the net.

Any suggestion on somethings I should work on to make it to the next level?

Mike Cottrill
09-12-2006, 09:32 AM
Have you worked on the mental part of your game? In this age group, that is very important. 16 year olds my have one up on you in this area. Do you have game plan or do you just bang away?
Were in Texas are you located?

BTW, you seem a little young for such a quote from Groucho Marx

jimiforpres
09-12-2006, 11:48 AM
I think I am decent mentally. I rarely play a match where I can beat the guy with my strokes. I usually end up exposing some part of their game and attacking it.

Trinity TC
09-12-2006, 12:31 PM
Keep working on your strengths and develop them into world class weapons. Some players work at their weaknesses and can lose the edge on their best shots.:cool:

kevhen
09-12-2006, 12:37 PM
Better placed first serve? Slice serve? Slice approach shots? Even more consistency? What do you think will help you improve? You seem pretty intelligent and likely to stay calm in your matches which is very good. Counter punching is also a very good style at your age level as you will often play hard hitting kids who are impatient. Good luck in the 16's.