PDA

View Full Version : Pure storm review

basil J
09-12-2006, 12:59 PM
Well I got my Pure storm in today. It only took 2 days. Uh redondo, 4 weeks and counting. Anyways I was intrigued by this racquet so I went ahead and bought after playing with a loaner for 3 hours last week.
I have it strung with Wilson sensation at 58#. A wilson pro overgrip, wilson head tape and a Samparas "O" Hampener.
here are my thoughts:
This racquet swings nice and light, but due to an almost even balance and a 21.5mm beam thickness, it has a nice solid feel. There was an annoying pingy sound coming off of the string bed that I did not experience with my friends PS who used ALU BB.
Groundstrokes: I could really get some great action on ball on my forehand and backhand. Good pop and heavy spin. The frame comes around very nicely and I found that I had all sorts of time to set up and tee off on shots.
I got good bite on my BH slice as long as I drove through the ball. Sweetspot felt pretty big and there was no uncomfortable jarring on mihits.
Volleys: Surprise.. I could really stick some volleys today, especially some low shoe top volleys on the run . Nice & solid with no surprises.
Serve: because it is a light swinging frame with some decent mass, I found that I could serve in a very relaxed manner and use wrist snap to regulate pace without any "arming" of the ball whatsoever. I was gettin "OK" pop on my flat serves, but nice action on my slice and kickers and actually used almost all second serves today because I was hitting them so consistently.
Return of serve: Good depth on blocks and I was able to keep a nice low slice on some aggressive returns. Good, but nothing fantastic.
My opponent today was a slicer & dicer. Thursday I play a heavy hitter so I am curious to see how the ball feels coming off of the string bed against pace. The few hard shots that were hit today, I dialed into with no problem, so we will see.
Overall: A fun racquet to use. The lightest frame that I have ever used, but still solid. I found myself very relaxed today, because, although not a tweener, I had power at my disposal that I don't get from my redondo. I have to be much more precise with that frame. Plus with some of the crazy spin that I was getting, I was hitting loopers and slices during points that I normally would never hit. Maybe tennis doesn't have to be so much work after all. Maybe NBMJ has a point??? HMM...

nadalito92
09-12-2006, 01:08 PM
thanks bro, your review gave te PS a plus against the APD i think im definetly buying this racquet, first i need to save sum money, probably get a job ^^

anirut
09-12-2006, 05:40 PM
Maybe tennis doesn't have to be so much work after all. Maybe NBMJ has a point??? HMM...

I agree with that statement, and with NBMJ.

I use the so-called "demanding frames" just because "I'm havin' fun" and nothing more. When I play I don't play scores, just playing to get some "nice, satisfying sweat".

If I was to play competitively I may change.

BTW, thanks for the nice review. The Storm sounds like a nice racket. Last saturday I had a look at it at a tennis store here. The price was too forbidding for me to think of buying it.

** Let's not call the Pure Storm as PS. This may create confusion with the well-established PS -- the Pro Staff. **

nadalito92
09-12-2006, 06:21 PM
yeah maybe, what about BPS ?? and wuts NBMJ.?

anirut
09-12-2006, 06:31 PM
yeah maybe, what about BPS ?? and wuts NBMJ.?

I think BPS should be fine. Just don't drop the "P" when you type ...

And NBMJ stands for "NoBadMojo". He's a teaching pro and is one of the most prolific posters on the TT-board. He provides very good advice to us around here.

basil J
09-13-2006, 05:12 PM
Day 2, got out and hit groundies and played points for an hour today with someone who really hits a heavy ball. No problems what soever as far as stability or control. I am used to using a poly string and I have sensation on right now, so I had a little more power and less spin than I am used to, but overall I was very happy with the way this frame performed. It is also very comfortable and I was getting good jump on slice and kick serves. I got this as a backup but I am going to keep using it and see if it aggravates my shoulder at all. It is fairly forgiving and the control & feel are excellent.. It swings light, but plays very solid. So far, I am delightfully surprised..

nadalito92
09-13-2006, 06:36 PM
omg im getting this racquet for sure first i gotta save thou lol

ace of spades
09-13-2006, 07:01 PM
Just ordered 2 more from tw and got hurricane tour 17 in them. I was going to wait for the new ones to come out but I figure that this plays exellent and how much can babolat really improve in an already great playing frame?

nadalito92
09-13-2006, 07:04 PM
what are they going to add? cortex or something? hmm is it going to change it in any way? cause if it does i want the better version, btw can anyone xplain what cortex or whatever does?

basil J
09-14-2006, 09:27 AM
Ace of spades, did you add weight to the handle? If yes , what effect did it have on the frame?

ace of spades
09-14-2006, 02:51 PM
Ace of spades, did you add weight to the handle? If yes , what effect did it have on the frame?
It really didnt change the playability that much despite being a bit more manuverable. It was also easier to come around for my forehand.

basil J
09-15-2006, 05:51 AM
How much weight and how did you add it?. I would like a little more heft on this frame, but it is already almost even balanced so I would like in more in the handle. The more I hit with this, the more I like it. I am playtesting it against a pure control on monday. i will report my thoughts on that when I get through.

FABulous
09-18-2006, 06:47 PM
Can anyone tell me the differance in using either the 16 and 17 strung on the Pure Storm?

ace of spades
09-18-2006, 07:06 PM
How much weight and how did you add it?. I would like a little more heft on this frame, but it is already almost even balanced so I would like in more in the handle. The more I hit with this, the more I like it. I am playtesting it against a pure control on monday. i will report my thoughts on that when I get through.
half an ounce works great.
also you really dont need any in the head since it is already pretty solid and has a high enough swing weight.

basil J
09-19-2006, 03:49 PM
Ok Played the pure control today. Also restrung with klip adrenalin at 54#M/56#Crosses on the purestorm. First of all, big mistake going down that low on string tension on the storm. Unless I used massive topspin, I was hitting everything 2 feet long. This frame has way more power than any frame I have used in the past. After 15 minutes of frustration, I had to put it down. It was unplayable. On the other hand, The pure control was very solid and I could execute all of my shots well with it. It felt a tad more headlight than the storm, which I liked, but it was very stiff and strangely, I felt in in my elbow a little this morning. Not a frame that I would use unless I used a soft multi or gut. I restrung the storm with PSGD @ 60# to see if a higher tension would give me the control that I need with this frame. The storm is really fun to serve with, especially flat bombs down the middle...I am also considering adding some weight to the handle to make it a little more headlight.

tennis_nerd22
01-26-2007, 06:30 AM
Maybe tennis doesn't have to be so much work after all. Maybe NBMJ has a point??? HMM...

haha i agree. basil how else would you compare the pure storm and redondo?