PDA

View Full Version : MFil 300, MFil 200 '06, P Storm, LM Rad?

TripleB
09-12-2006, 01:23 PM
Can anyone give a quick comparison of power, comfort, and spin potential of these racquets: Dunlop MFil 300, Dunlop MFil 200 '06, Babolat Pure Storm, and Head LiquidMetal Radical Midplus?

I'm in a search for a racquet with similar play characteristics of my Yonex Nano Speed RQ7 Midplus but in a shorter package. I thought I'd found it with the Dunlop Maxply McEnroe but it was a little stiff with Yonex Tour Super 850 Pro Spin at 60 pounds. I'm going to get it restrung with Yonex Tour Super 850 Feel string at 57 pounds. If that doesn't enlarge the sweetspot a little and add a little pop to my serves I'll venture out to another racquet.

Thanks.

TripleB

counterpuncher
09-12-2006, 02:58 PM
I'll take a quick stab seeing as I have hit with all except for the M-Fil 200 '06.

Power : Storm > M-Fil 300 > LM Rad
Comfort : Storm > LM Rad > M-Fil 300
Control : LM Rad > Storm > M-Fil 300
Stability : Storm > LM Rad > M-Fil 300
Spin : M-Fil 300 > Storm > LM Rad
Touch : M-Fil 300 > LM Rad > Storm

Let me say that IMO these racquets are very similar and it just comes down to a personal choice as to which you go with. You can't really go wrong with any of these and I have actually owned all 3 of these as I have liked them all very much for different reasons.

TripleB
09-12-2006, 03:04 PM
I'll take a quick stab seeing as I have hit with all except for the M-Fil 200 '06.

Power : Storm > M-Fil 300 > LM Rad
Comfort : Storm > LM Rad > M-Fil 300
Control : LM Rad > Storm > M-Fil 300
Stability : Storm > LM Rad > M-Fil 300
Spin : M-Fil 300 > Storm > LM Rad
Touch : M-Fil 300 > LM Rad > Storm

Let me say that IMO these racquets are very similar and it just comes down to a personal choice as to which you go with. You can't really go wrong with any of these and I have actually owned all 3 of these as I have liked them all very much for different reasons.

Thanks for the detailed information.

A couple quick questions if I may: What type of string did you use (mainly) in each? Did the Storm give you more power than the MFil 300 on serves as well as groundstrokes? Is the comfort level and stability of the MFil 300 really poor or just less than that of the other two racquets? Any one of them stand out at net (offering good power and touch)?

Thanks again for the information!!!

TripleB

counterpuncher
09-12-2006, 04:25 PM
What type of string did you use (mainly) in each? Did the Storm give you more power than the MFil 300 on serves as well as groundstrokes? Is the comfort level and stability of the MFil 300 really poor or just less than that of the other two racquets? Any one of them stand out at net (offering good power and touch)?
String in each was the same Lux Ace at 55lbs.

Storm had slightly more power on serves, but if you leaded up the M-Fil 300 to somewhere near the weight and sw of the Storm it would easily over power it IMO, same for groundstrokes.

Comfort and stability isn't really poor for the M Fil300, but less than the other two, mostly because of the weight differential.

Probably the M Fil 300 stands out for me at the net because of the touch, with the LM rad slightly less touch but more stability, power was about the same. Not that a net game is my strength but I do play a lot of doubles. The Storm was okay and is in fact what I use, but it does certainly have less feel than the other two.

TripleB
09-13-2006, 02:41 AM
String in each was the same Lux Ace at 55lbs.

Storm had slightly more power on serves, but if you leaded up the M-Fil 300 to somewhere near the weight and sw of the Storm it would easily over power it IMO, same for groundstrokes.

Comfort and stability isn't really poor for the M Fil300, but less than the other two, mostly because of the weight differential.

Probably the M Fil 300 stands out for me at the net because of the touch, with the LM rad slightly less touch but more stability, power was about the same. Not that a net game is my strength but I do play a lot of doubles. The Storm was okay and is in fact what I use, but it does certainly have less feel than the other two.

Thanks for the information....it helped quite a great deal.

TripleB

TripleB
09-14-2006, 03:43 AM
Anyone have any comments on the M-Fil 200 vs the M-Fil 300 as far as power and stability go?

TripleB

Coria
09-14-2006, 09:22 AM
Triple B, I knew it was only a matter of time before you started searching again for your Holy Grail. I don't think you'll ever find it, to be honest. Why don't you want to stick with the NSRQ-7 any longer?

TripleB
09-14-2006, 09:33 AM
Triple B, I knew it was only a matter of time before you started searching again for your Holy Grail. I don't think you'll ever find it, to be honest. Why don't you want to stick with the NSRQ-7 any longer?

It looks as though I may do that.

I ordered the Maxply Mc trying to go to a 11.3 ounce or so racquet that was 27" long---something in between the NSRQ7 and my RDX500 Midplus. I think if it weren't so stiff then it may have been the racquet that gave me that combination. Hopefully it was just the fact that it was strung tighter than the 60 pounds I asked for. I'm having it restrung today with Tour Super 850 16L string at 57 pounds to see if it helps to increase the sweetspot and soften up the feel a little.

I'm having the NSRQ7 restrung today also but there are times where I just find myself unable to get the extra length racquet into position fast enough.

TripleB

jmsx521
09-14-2006, 10:01 AM
Anyone have any comments on the M-Fil 200 vs the M-Fil 300 as far as power and stability go?

TripleB
I have both the M-Fil 300 (grip size #3, Luxilon XP @ about 58 lbs.) and M-Fil 200, 2006 (97 sq.in., grip size #3, Luxilon XP @ about 56 lbs.). I was quite surprised that I didn't find the M-Fil 200 comfortable at all. I bought it mostly because of the fast swing-speed listed on tenniswarehouse. Stiffness is listed as 64, but it felt stiffer than that, with some vibrations going through my arm... the material on the racket seems quite dense. Yes, it is loaded with power, but less power than the M-Fil 300 obviously.

I hit with all grips (continental to Hawaiian-extreme western) and can hit flat and topspin both two & one handed backhands and a one-handed forehand, plus the serves & volleys.

The M-Fil 200 felt awful on wristy shots (especially the vibrations). It's a racket meant for pure text-book Berdych-like shots... steady balance swing-forward clean shots... that's where it felt most comfortable. For everything else I disliked it and I tried to make it work for me, but due to the dislike, I've hit with it for only about an hour. I didn't feel a significant increase in swing-speed either... even though that was the #1 reason I bought it for.

M-Fil 300 is another story. Last time I hit with it was over a month ago, so I can't really comment on details. You'll see many posters here have commented about it and many have liked it, just search for M-Fil 300. I also like it somewhat, but it's not for me though.

superjumbo
09-14-2006, 10:05 AM
TripleB be careful about stringing the Mac with 850 at such a low tension. I had my Mac strung at 58 with that string and the racquet felt like a rocket launcher. There was a big time trampoline effect, with the ball just shooting off of the racquet.

I liked the Mac and would have experimeneted with other tensions but the swingweight was too high for me.

As for the Dunlop 2006, it's the racquet I currently use. I really like it's maneuvarbility and spin potential. I find it comfortable, not too soft or too stiff, with a fairly large sweet spot. Without lead its not great at hard serves or flat shots, but that's not the type of game I play since my forehand tends to be a bit loopy and I'm not a power player. The power level is decent but it hits more of a quick ball than a heavy ball. I've been playing so well with the 2006 that its at the top of my list for the racquet I'm going to play exclusively for the next year. But first I have to try the mfil 300 which I just received in the mail yesterday. I probably won't be able to play the 300 until next week though so I can't provide a comparison anytime soon.

FuriousYellow
09-14-2006, 10:18 AM
I have both the M-Fil 300 (grip size #3, Luxilon XP @ about 58 lbs.) and M-Fil 200, 2006 (97 sq.in., grip size #3, Luxilon XP @ about 56 lbs.). I was quite surprised that I didn't find the M-Fil 200 comfortable at all. I bought it mostly because of the fast swing-speed listed on tenniswarehouse. Stiffness is listed as 64, but it felt stiffer than that, with some vibrations going through my arm... the material on the racket seems quite dense. Yes, it is loaded with power, but less power than the M-Fil 300 obviously.

I hit with all grips (continental to Hawaiian-extreme western) and can hit flat and topspin both two & one handed backhands and a one-handed forehand, plus the serves & volleys.

The M-Fil 200 felt awful on wristy shots (especially the vibrations). It's a racket meant for pure text-book Berdych-like shots... steady balance swing-forward clean shots... that's where it felt most comfortable. For everything else I disliked it and I tried to make it work for me, but due to the dislike, I've hit with it for only about an hour. I didn't feel a significant increase in swing-speed either... even though that was the #1 reason I bought it for.

I have TW's demo version (neutral-colored bumper guard and Dunlop M-Fil Tour strings) this week. The RA stiffness rating printed on the racquet says 67, but I find the racquet to be very comfortable. I agree that wristy FH strokes, which result when I get lazy with my footwork, tend to catch the frame. The head shape of the 06' seems narrower than most racquets I'm used to and the sweetspot feels a little higher as well.

This is the second time I've demoed it and I enjoy playing with this racquet. I just feel so connected to it on my 1HBH. It does feel a little too light and could use some lead tape though.

If you're interested in selling yours and it's a 4 3/8, let me know.

TripleB
09-14-2006, 10:43 AM
TripleB be careful about stringing the Mac with 850 at such a low tension. I had my Mac strung at 58 with that string and the racquet felt like a rocket launcher. There was a big time trampoline effect, with the ball just shooting off of the racquet.

I'm afraid of that....I had TW string the Mac at 60 pounds with the Yonex Tour Super 850 Pro Spin string. When it came it felt like it was strung much higher but I couldn't be sure...thought it might just be the stiffness of the racquet. So I'm getting it strung at 57 pounds with the Yonex Tour Super 850 Feel string and then I'll adjust from there. Thanks for the advice.

TripleB

Coria
09-14-2006, 05:33 PM
Triple B, a racket that is 27 inches, plays at the same swing weight and static weight as the NSRQ 7, is a little stiffer but plays really sweet is the Prince Hybrid Hornet MP. It says it's only 2 points head light but with the 03 holes, the racket swings easy and is very maneuverable.

It's a bit more stable than the NSRQ 7, has better control and is a bit more powerful. It didn't get Editor's Choice for nothing. It is a superb racket--one of the best Prince has EVER made.

Coria
09-14-2006, 05:37 PM
Prince Hybrid Hornet MP--it does NOT have 320 swing weight. In fact, other tennis sites have it between 312 and 315. That's what I found. Great stick for you to check out. Awesome for topspin.

Midplus Specs
Head Size:
100 sq. in. / 645 sq. cm.
Length: 27 inches / 69 cm
Strung Weight: 10.6oz / 301g
Balance: 2pts Head Light
Swingweight: 320
Stiffness: 70
Beam Width: 23-25-22 mm Tapered Beam
Composition: Dynamic Braided Graphite / Titanium / Tungsten
Power Level: Medium
Swing Speed: Moderate-Fast
Grip Type: Duratac
String Pattern:
16 Mains / 19 Crosses
Mains skip: 7T.9T.7H.9H
One Piece
No shared holes
String Tension: 53-63 pounds

jmsx521
09-14-2006, 08:05 PM
If you're interested in selling yours and it's a 4 3/8, let me know.
I'll eventually be putting on e-Bay several rackets: M-Fil 300, M-Fil 200 (2006, 97sq.in.), PK Redondo 93 and 98, Fischer M-Speed Pro Light, Fischer Pro Tour Extreme FT, Wilson n6 nCode (95 sq.in.), Wilson n5 nCode 98 sq.in. And maybe some older Babolat PDs.

M-Speed Pro Light is grip size #2, the rest are #3.

I'll post it on the For Sale when I put them on e-Bay.

phat
09-15-2006, 02:16 AM
Superjimbo & BBB, I am pretty sure that TW is stringing with a constant pulling machine, SJ, is yours string with a drop weight machine?? I remember once that has happened to me when I changed a stringer..... Dude I have to say the difference in feel is at least 3-4 ibs.

TripleB
09-15-2006, 03:44 AM
Prince Hybrid Hornet MP--
Stiffness: 70

Does the 70 stiffness cause any arm problems? Being that "light" and a 70 stiffness looks as though it may....I guess the 03 holes offset the stiffness some though? It seemed to on the 03 White I playtested.

TripleB

Coria
09-15-2006, 04:11 AM
Yes, it does not feel like a 70 stiffness because of the holes. It is more maneuverable with better feel than the O3 white. I really think it's a great advanced tweener racket. I think a very good 5.0 player who does not like heavier sticks could play very well with this racket also.

superjumbo
09-15-2006, 07:41 AM
Phat, I bought my racquet from a non-TW internet seller. They strung the racquet for me, I have no idea what machines they use. If you want to avoid a trampoline effect it's not a good idea to string a stiff racquet with too soft of a string or string at too low of a tension. That's just a general rule, expermentation with strings and tension is always useful.

Rabbit
09-15-2006, 10:18 AM
Superjimbo & BBB, I am pretty sure that TW is stringing with a constant pulling machine, SJ, is yours string with a drop weight machine?? I remember once that has happened to me when I changed a stringer..... Dude I have to say the difference in feel is at least 3-4 ibs.

I think TW uses Prince Neos for stringing. That's also what they sell.

guedoguedo
05-10-2007, 03:28 PM
agree with counterpuncher's chart and he nails it..mfil 300 is very easy to spin and hit hard, but it hits a very light ball. Very easy for wristy shots. But again it is not a heavy ball. I will hit more with the PS this weekend and report back...

rayallen333
05-16-2007, 01:33 PM
Anyone else compare???

bertrevert
05-17-2007, 04:20 PM
Some spec differentials and how they made me play:

The M-Fil 300 is great for spin and for customisation. It does hit light so it needs lead. It's a basic frame that doesn't boast comfort. However it does everything well. It's brought greater consistency to my game. Touch shots are supreme if you have soft hands. It offers good error correction. It serves seriously.

LM Rad MP. Now you would think that offering more control as a 18x20 this racquet would offer loads. It's buttery comfortable but I find it a very string sensistive racquet and too light (needs lead) and a very picky affair. It is closer to being a 95 than a 98. It tended to make me play flat. And I went for too much. Without enough spin I lost simple and straightforward rallying.

The MFil 300 far surpasses the LM Rad in my opinion, although both are very cheap atm.

rayallen333
05-18-2007, 01:51 PM
Which racquet is easiest for pick up and play? Which racquet is easier to use?

Alex132
05-18-2007, 08:08 PM
Which racquet is easiest for pick up and play? Which racquet is easier to use?

well from my expierence, mfil 300 wasn't pick up and play for sure, it took me few days to get it down right, but after that it was freaking amazing feeling and game.

rayallen333
05-19-2007, 07:32 AM
Is the PStorm easier to pick up and play?

bertrevert
05-20-2007, 07:00 PM
Is the PStorm easier to pick up and play?

Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong but I think the PStorm is fairly heavy and will take some getting used to.

rayallen333
06-12-2007, 06:22 PM
anyone compare the P storm to LM Rad OS? Esp on sweetspot size, power, control

johnv_pr
06-25-2007, 03:01 PM
I have tried both racquets and liked the MFil 200 '06 best. I had it set up with Pro Supex Blue Gear @ 54 lbs. The racquet is sweet, and my game has improved quite a bit. I guess that the weight of the racquet combined with the low swingweight adds up to result on full swing strokes and good energy transfer to the ball on impact.