lzclzclzc
09-12-2006, 03:45 PM
i know many of you might have seen this on youtube, just curious
about how fast is this serve
http://youtube.com/watch?v=VIWF07KW9k4

sounds nice and crisp

AJK1
09-12-2006, 03:47 PM
You can't measure foot faults. That's really slack technique my friend, you should stamp that out ASAP.

MasterTS
09-12-2006, 03:56 PM
The person that filmed the video is very annoying and doesn't know how to keep a steady hand.

snoflewis
09-12-2006, 03:59 PM
it's funny how this guy pops up every now and then. he's actually a member on these boards. his id is Yondan...i think he said he serves around 110s or something liek that. i believe he also said he's playing for some D3 college this year

lzclzclzc
09-12-2006, 04:00 PM
do u know where?
DIII so he's around 4.5-5.0?

lzclzclzc
09-12-2006, 04:01 PM
You can't measure foot faults. That's really slack technique my friend, you should stamp that out ASAP.

its not a video of me

arnz
09-12-2006, 04:04 PM
Probably around 100mph. The important question is how often does it go in? In a match I mean

And yes very annoying camera work, I would also prefer not to see any close ups of you :(

Nextman916
09-12-2006, 04:12 PM
That looks faster than 100mph to me, at least 110. My guess is his fastest is around 120. My serve is always around 100 and his has slightly more pace.

BiGGieStuFF
09-12-2006, 04:22 PM
Looks pretty fast but can't really tell to be honest. I know it didn't go in much though so pretty useless. I can gun it pretty hard to, but it's not use if it's not consistent. :(

jackson vile
09-12-2006, 04:25 PM
You're not going to be able to judge the speed with out seeing the end result, all we see is him hitting the ball.

Looks really good sounds good, but indeed we do not know how many were in?

But good for him anyways, looks better than my serve and most people out there LOL So no reason to hate.;)

drakulie
09-12-2006, 04:39 PM
about 125 MPH, LOL.

ZPTennis
09-12-2006, 04:56 PM
about 125 MPH, LOL.

can't let go can you. your pathetic. :rolleyes:

actually though, now that i think about it,
this really shows that I got under your skin big time.

drakulie
09-12-2006, 05:09 PM
can't let go can you. your pathetic. :rolleyes:

actually though, now that i think about it,
this really shows that I got under your skin big time.

Damn, now you are following me around the boards. Couldn't resist the bait? I would say you are pathetic. By the way, how fast do you think that serve is? LOL

MasterTS
09-12-2006, 05:18 PM
Damn, now you are following me around the boards. Couldn't resist the bait? I would say you are pathetic. By the way, how fast do you think that serve is? LOL

I personally think ZP's serve is faster than the serve in this thread... by maybe 5mph

ZPTennis
09-12-2006, 05:21 PM

coming from the guy who couldn't resist posting 4 more times in the other thread to talk about me after i had quit posting. you lose again. :D

those who accuse are the ones who think along those lines and therefore assume everyone thinks like them. hope thats not too deep for you.

drakulie
09-12-2006, 05:27 PM
I personally think ZP's serve is faster than the serve in this thread... by maybe 5mph

So ZP's is 130 then. LOL

ZPTennis
09-12-2006, 05:37 PM
So ZP's is 130 then. LOL

when i played basketball about 15 years ago, the coach from the other team would often put two players on me to double team me because I was scoring under the boards too often.

drakulie
09-12-2006, 06:04 PM
when i played basketball about 15 years ago, the coach from the other team would often put two players on me to double team me because I was scoring under the boards too often.

nViATi
09-12-2006, 06:07 PM
Somebody's jealous. :mrgreen:

zhan
09-12-2006, 06:10 PM
so how fast IS that serve?
i dont need exact
ball park figures welcome

ZPTennis
09-12-2006, 06:34 PM
hard to tell. technique looks really good though.

okdude1992
09-12-2006, 06:42 PM
no more than 110...ive returned about 120 and that doesn't seem to be there...hard to tell from video though...

Ten.Is
09-12-2006, 06:49 PM
I'd say close to million mph. Not quite there though.

lzclzclzc
09-12-2006, 06:53 PM
just to clarify things, i have nothing to do with that video, im no the guy serving or the dude that filming.

moving on...
i knew that ZP and drakulie was gonna start again....
this is a warning to all of you out there, dont use the word serve with speed

wyutani
09-12-2006, 06:58 PM

damn you must be really darn tall--15 years ago...
they used to double team me. cos i was too short and i tend to disappear and cannot be seen...

theartoftennis
09-12-2006, 07:14 PM
Based on the sound, I'd say anywhere from 110-120.

drakulie
09-12-2006, 07:47 PM
Based on the sound, I'd say anywhere from 110-120.

So if you turn up the volume a little it will go to 150. LOL

drakulie
09-12-2006, 07:49 PM
i knew that ZP and drakulie was gonna start again....
this is a warning to all of you out there, dont use the word serve with speed

LOL! hey, just to set the record straight, ZP stalked me to this thread.

emcee
09-12-2006, 08:12 PM

???? Okay...

emcee
09-12-2006, 08:13 PM
The dude in the vid has a nice serve. Didn't see any foot-faults though...but he has a Hewitt-like foot thing going on so there's not much room for error.

I wish I had that serve!

Zets147
09-12-2006, 08:21 PM
LOL why do ppl keep typing LOL when they are fighting on a "tennis" forum?? LOL

The serve looks good, I like the outfit. :D
(around 105mph I would say).

edberg505
09-12-2006, 08:48 PM
I have faced some huge servers before, 120's and 130's. That one didn't look too big. I've seen bigger. I would guess maybe 110-115. The thing is you can hit as hard as you want, but if the ball is just coming right to the person then it's kinda useless. All that is required is to block it back. If I had the choice between a person that can hit 125 mph serves vs. a person that can hit 105-100 mph with good placement. Give me a person that can use the angles and placement over a big server any day of the week.

Andres
09-12-2006, 09:08 PM
If I had the choice between a person that can hit 125 mph serves vs. a person that can hit 105-100 mph with good placement. Give me a person that can use the angles and placement over a big server any day of the week.
Depends. Are you returning? :D
If you're returning it, I would choose the "125 mph right next to you" one... why are you going to give the other guy more chances to win points off you? :D

edberg505
09-12-2006, 09:16 PM
Depends. Are you returning? :D
If you're returning it, I would choose the "125 mph right next to you" one... why are you going to give the other guy more chances to win points off you? :D

Hahaha, perhaps I should have been more clear. If I were playing doubles I'd want a partner with good placement that serves around 100 or so. My serves are already pretty good so I think that would work out great. :)

HyperHorse
09-12-2006, 09:23 PM
If you have a huge serve, you dont really need great placement. I think you can get away with serving the ball @ 3 main spots.
Down the T, Into the Corner, and right @ the Body.

edberg505
09-12-2006, 09:38 PM
If you have a huge serve, you dont really need great placement. I think you can get away with serving the ball @ 3 main spots.

Nah, against a solid player a big server would get ripped apart espcially if they don't really have anything else in their arsenal. I've seen it happen time and time again. Big serves don't me squat if you can't place it. Case in point. I played D1, and in one of my very first matches we played against Centenary. I played in the #1 spot. Their #1 player was about 6'7" and he had without a doubt the biggest serve that I have ever faced. I mean the ball would go up for the toss and the next thing I know it was either in my face or past me. It was insane. I had my chances but I didn't take them. The match ended up being pretty close but I lost. But a few days later my friend who also played D1 who is better than me picked him apart. He was just blockin that stuff back and when that guy didn't hit a clean winner off the blocked return my friend surely did. I have also seen it here. The old number one player for the University here didn't have a big serve and was just good all around played against anotherr former player who was #3. And just looking at them warm up esp. serves you would think well this other guy without the huge serve is going to get worked. The #3 guy was about 6'6" and had the highest recorded serve at UNM, 127 mph. Know what the score was when the both made it to the finals of the the tournament. Big server guy got owned, 6-2, 6-2.

FitzRoy
09-12-2006, 09:56 PM
Big serves don't me squat if you can't place it..

Definitely agree. Pat Rafter's serve was hugely effective at the highest levels of the sport, but it wasn't particularly fast. I think it's why I liked watching him play so much, because he wasn't blowing serves by people, but was still dominant on serve.

emo5
09-13-2006, 03:38 AM
He's Lleyton Hewitt wannabe :)
all he needs is the funny whistle grunt.

drakulie
09-13-2006, 02:23 PM

I agree. Someone who could hit 120 consistently, and place the ball in these 3 spots is going to be extremely tough to break. If they are doing this, they are at a very advanced level, and I would find it hard to believe a player this advanced would not be advanced in other areas as well.

drakulie
09-13-2006, 02:24 PM
Nah, against a solid player a big server would get ripped apart espcially if they don't really have anything else in their arsenal.

If they don't have anything else, and the rest of thier game is horrible.

arnz
09-13-2006, 03:33 PM
You'd have to be a pretty good returner to hurt a big server. Somehow I dont see how somebody with a serve around 110 to 120mph would not be able to put away a weak return. Think Roddick for the pros

Nextman916
09-13-2006, 04:01 PM
I still say around 110mph, give or take a few, even if he doesnt have that much knee bend and launch his racquet head speed is more than enough to compensate for 110. If you watch the vid when being filmed from the side you can see this.

edberg505
09-13-2006, 06:44 PM
If they don't have anything else, and the rest of thier game is horrible.

Roddick is the best example to show that just because you have a big serve doesn't mean *****. Now he's sort of putting ihis game back together, but people are not afraid of him or his serve any more. Block it back and get it back in play.

drakulie
09-13-2006, 07:07 PM
Roddick is the best example to show that just because you have a big serve doesn't mean *****. Now he's sort of putting ihis game back together, but people are not afraid of him or his serve any more. Block it back and get it back in play.

And your point is what? He still has one of the highest winning percentages on his service games, even before this summer. In fact he is in the top 3 of every major service statistic on the ATP this year.

In addition, with only his serve as you just pointed out he is still in the top 10, even though there are guys with a better ground game than him. So his serve does mean "*****".

edberg505
09-13-2006, 07:12 PM
And your point is what? He still has one of the highest winning percentages on his service games, even before this summer. In fact he is in the top 3 of every major service statistic on the ATP this year.

In addition, with only his serve as you just pointed out he is still in the top 10, even though there are guys with a better ground game than him. So his serve does mean "*****".

You're right. Roddick is awesome.

drakulie
09-13-2006, 07:44 PM
You're right. Roddick is awesome.

He is awesome. Even though I don't like his game in the least bit, he is still one of the 10 best players in the world.

In addition, at our level (4.0-4.5) a 100 MPH serve is much more significant and imposing than his 135+ serve is at his level. People think, including you as you already posted, a 110 MPH is not "too big", which is ridiculous.

A lot of people like to talk big, and say I could hit 100+, blah, blah, blah. It is amazing to me how many people on these boards could so easily hit 100-110 (cough), yet there are only a handful of female pro players who could eclipse that speed. These are professional who have been playing their who lives, 7 days a week, 14 hours a day, with perfect technique but they can't reach that speed, yet everyone on these boards has a 100+ serve (LOL).

Truth is, I have only seen one guy on this board who could clearly hit a 100 MPH serve and that is ZPTENNIS, and I am sure he could hit a lot faster than 100. And he backed it up with video.

Hitting a 100 MPH serve is a big deal at the level I pointed out, and extremely imposing. Most people on these boards have either not come close to that speed, never faced someone who could hit that hard, or can even fathom what that pace is really like, let alone a 120+ serve.

Hitting a 100 MPH is not in any way easy to hit or return, and most guys who say I have hit with guys who hit 120-130 are full of it. Truth is, they probably haven't even faced a 80 MPH serve.

Mike Cottrill
09-13-2006, 07:52 PM
Hitting a 100 MPH is not in any way easy to hit or return, and most guys who say I have hit with guys who hit 120-130 are full of it. Truth is, they probably haven't even faced a 80 MPH serve.

Sure dude. That is hog wash..

edberg505
09-13-2006, 08:09 PM
He is awesome. Even though I don't like his game in the least bit, he is still one of the 10 best players in the world.

In addition, at our level (4.0-4.5) a 100 MPH serve is much more significant and imposing than his 135+ serve is at his level. People think, including you as you already posted, a 110 MPH is not "too big", which is ridiculous.

A lot of people like to talk big, and say I could hit 100+, blah, blah, blah. It is amazing to me how many people on these boards could so easily hit 100-110 (cough), yet there are only a handful of female pro players who could eclipse that speed. These are professional who have been playing their who lives, 7 days a week, 14 hours a day, with perfect technique but they can't reach that speed, yet everyone on these boards has a 100+ serve (LOL).

Truth is, I have only seen one guy on this board who could clearly hit a 100 MPH serve and that is ZPTENNIS, and I am sure he could hit a lot faster than 100. And he backed it up with video.

Hitting a 100 MPH serve is a big deal at the level I pointed out, and extremely imposing. Most people on these boards have either not come close to that speed, never faced someone who could hit that hard, or can even fathom what that pace is really like, let alone a 120+ serve.

Well, I'm pretty sure, and you can do a search on this, that I have never claimed to hit 120+ mph serves. And yes I did say "not that big" because it was in reference to people that were saying it was 120+ and it just didn't look that big to me. I have faced people that have serves bigger than 110. Hell, a few weeks ago I played against a guy that is a memeber of the tennis team here that hits serves that big, maybe bigger. I have posted a video of my serve before and I think someone hit it right on the button as to how fast I was serving, which was in the low 90's to 100. I don't really see the need to go for really big serves. A well place serve is all that I need. The biggest serve I have ever hit in my life was 115 and it was really hard for me to get that. But during play I never go for serves that big.

edberg505
09-13-2006, 08:11 PM

I think what he was trying to say is that a 100 mph serve that is placed well is not easy to return.

drakulie
09-13-2006, 08:12 PM

How so? You can honestly sit there and tell me most guys in the 4.0-4.5 level eclipse the 100 mark. I don't think so.

There is a 4.0-4.5 league where I use to teach. One day the director starting clocking everyones serves and posting them. Mind you, like most people on these boards everyone thought they could hit 100. Of over 40 or so guys only 3 guys hit 100+. Only around 5 guys total, eclipsed 90.

Like I said, I have only seen one video of someone on these boards who could eclipse that mark. Mind you, I'm not saying everyone is lying--or simply has no clue.

Even in the ATP there are not many guys who could consistently hit 120 throughout a match. Most of them are serving in the 115 range on average. You are going to tell me most 4.0 players are easily hitting 100, 15 mph lower than the pros? Hog wash indeed.

Mike Cottrill
09-13-2006, 08:17 PM
I think what he was trying to say is that a 100 mph serve that is placed well is not easy to return.
I will agree with that. Even an 80 mph well placed twist or kick can catch you off gaurd.

drakulie
09-13-2006, 08:26 PM
double post

drakulie
09-13-2006, 08:27 PM
Well, I'm pretty sure, and you can do a search on this, that I have never claimed to hit 120+ mph serves.

I never suggested you have ever said that. I was speaking more to the "masses".

And yes I did say "not that big" because it was in reference to people that were saying it was 120+ and it just didn't look that big to me.

Sorry you were mislead. I was the one who originally posted the 125 remark, but I was being sarcastic.

I have posted a video of my serve before and I think someone hit it right on the button as to how fast I was serving, which was in the low 90's to 100.

I agree, and I have seen the videos you are referring to.

I don't really see the need to go for really big serves. A well place serve is all that I need.

Totally agree.

The biggest serve I have ever hit in my life was 115 and it was really hard for me to get that.

...and this last comment is exactly my point. Using you as an example, from your videos anyone could see you have a very nice fluid motion, with good racquet speed, solid technique, which is essential to obtain the racquet velocity needed to hit these speeds. Yet even you admit, hitting 115 is extremely difficult.

As I said, most people here have no clue, or are just massaging their ego.

lzclzclzc
09-13-2006, 08:30 PM
just curious,
justine henin hardenne, one of the best female tour players in my opinion
how does she hit 100+ consistently at a height of 5'6 or prolly less
does speed come with experience. does it become easier to hit bigger serves as you play longer.

by experience i mean regular game play experience and regular drils, with no particular emphasis on serve.

lzclzclzc
09-13-2006, 08:32 PM
ok, here's my serves
tell me wat im doing wrong, its a 2nd serve, i tried to kick it

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=723744175

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=723652406

pick me apart

Mike Cottrill
09-13-2006, 08:36 PM
How so? You can honestly sit there and tell me most guys in the 4.0-4.5 level eclipse the 100 mark. I don't think so.

There is a 4.0-4.5 league where I use to teach. One day the director starting clocking everyones serves and posting them. Mind you, like most people on these boards everyone thought they could hit 100. Of over 40 or so guys only 3 guys hit 100+. Only around 5 guys total, eclipsed 90.

Like I said, I have only seen one video of someone on these boards who could eclipse that mark. Mind you, I'm not saying everyone is lying--or simply has no clue.

Even in the ATP there are not many guys who could consistently hit 120 throughout a match. Most of them are serving in the 115 range on average. You are going to tell me most 4.0 players are easily hitting 100, 15 mph lower than the pros? Hog wash indeed.

Hitting a 120 serve every time is counter productive for pros. The goal is to keep them off balanced by mixing it up.

A 80mph serve you can get in every time in your sleep so you can bring out the big one on your first. If you are playing a guy who blocks back your big one, why waste your energy hitting it.

Your are correct about the averages. The above is statement is one reason. Unless my back goes out on me (which it does), I can hit the same serve with a bucket of balls without getting tired. However, in two hour match running down balls and long rallies, you bet.. It takes it toll on the performance. In my case, I start to double fault. Tired, lose concentration.. Double fault and lose a few mph on serves. But I did not get that from your post. You said they are full of it and could not return a 100mph serve. That is what I was saying was hog wash.

edberg505
09-13-2006, 08:38 PM
I never suggested you have ever said that. I was speaking more to the "masses".

Sorry you were mislead. I was the one who originally posted the 125 remark, but I was being sarcastic.

I agree, and I have seen the videos you are referring to.

Totally agree.

...and this last comment is exactly my point. Using you as an example, from your videos anyone could see you have a very nice fluid motion, with good racquet speed, solid technique, which is essential to obtain the racquet velocity needed to hit these speeds. Yet even you admit, hitting 115 is extremely difficult.

As I said, most people here have no clue, or are just massaging their ego.

Ok, point taken. Just some confusion I suppose. On a side note, I have to just say this. There is a tier 3 WTA tournament here and there are some recognizable names on the entry list. I'm going to see if I can get a chance to hit with one of them if I have time. I know some of the directors of the tournament and I also know some of the people that is providing housing for a few of the players. The tourney is on the other side of town and it will be very difficult for me to try to get over there before or after work. I'll keep you guys posted if I am able to hit with one of them. I think Alexandra Stevenson is one of the names I recognized on that list. I also saw Alexa Glatch and Mary Gamble. Last year I had a little chat with Angela Haynes, she's pretty cool and down to earth. Crossing my fingers.

FitzRoy
09-13-2006, 08:41 PM
ok, here's my serves

pick me apart

Actually I think you have a pretty decent motion.

edberg505
09-13-2006, 08:44 PM
ok, here's my serves

pick me apart

What kind of racqut are you using? The racuqet choice in serving makes some difference as well. I rememeber sometime ago I was hitting on court next to some old people and I saw one of them with a wilson hammer (it kinda looked like a widebody). So just for the hell of it I was fooling around and asked him if I could serve with it. OMG, My serve was untouchable. That thing was like a magic wand. I felt like Pete Sampras. But I could not keep a ground stroke in the court with that thing. Hahahaha.

lzclzclzc
09-13-2006, 08:48 PM
my former racquet, a wilson n5
its a good tweener racquet
light and powerful, yes it does make u feel like sampras lol

FitzRoy
09-13-2006, 08:49 PM
What kind of racqut are you using? The racuqet choice in serving makes some difference as well. I rememeber sometime ago I was hitting on court next to some old people and I saw one of them with a wilson hammer (it kinda looked like a widebody). So just for the hell of it I was fooling around and asked him if I could serve with it. OMG, My serve was untouchable. That thing was like a magic wand. I felt like Pete Sampras. But I could not keep a ground stroke in the court with that thing. Hahahaha.

Edberg, I think you were probably experiencing serving with a racquet that may have a comparable swingweight to your normal frame, but a much lower static weight. Those things really have a lot of pop on the serve, with all that weight in the hoop end. How much do you customize your regular playing racquets?

edberg505
09-13-2006, 08:56 PM
Edberg, I think you were probably experiencing serving with a racquet that may have a comparable swingweight to your normal frame, but a much lower static weight. Those things really have a lot of pop on the serve, with all that weight in the hoop end. How much do you customize your regular playing racquets?

Umm, I actually don't put any extra weight on my nCode tour 90. But my old orginal prostaff 85 sq in racquet I used to put some lead tape around the head. And for some reason when I first started using the tour 90 I felt the head felt a little heavier than the prostaff 85. Could someone tell me if this is the case for them if they have ever hit with both racquets before.

drakulie
09-13-2006, 09:02 PM
Umm, I actually don't put any extra weight on my nCode tour 90. But my old orginal prostaff 85 sq in racquet I used to put some lead tape around the head. And for some reason when I first started using the tour 90 I felt the head felt a little heavier than the prostaff 85. Could someone tell me if this is the case for them if they have ever hit with both racquets before.

I have around 5 inches of lead at 3 and 9 on my ps85. I have hit with a stock NCODE 90 and felt the same as you. It definitely felt heavier to swing than my ps85 even with the setup I have.

Will888
09-13-2006, 09:18 PM
o crap I think he hit a 156 mph serve!!

edberg505
09-13-2006, 09:30 PM
I have around 5 inches of lead at 3 and 9 on my ps85. I have hit with a stock NCODE 90 and felt the same as you. It definitely felt heavier to swing than my ps85 even with the setup I have.

I thought so. I knew I wasn't going crazy. People kept telling me they were about the same.

FitzRoy
09-13-2006, 09:33 PM

My old coach has a bundle of nCode Tour 90's (he can get a few free Wilson racquets every year, and he fell in love with that thing for some reason). I normally play with the 6.0 95, sometimes 6.0 85, but I add a lot of swingweight to my frames so his nCode felt a lot lighter and less stable to me. Some time I might try to get him to let me lead them up a bit so I can get a real comparison.

I remember reading specs about the 6.0 85 on Greg Raven's site. I think I remember that the 6.0 85's had different swingweights depending on where they were made, and a lot of them had something around 315. If you guys had 6.0s with a swingweight of 315 and were adding some lead, it's very possible that they were fairly close in swingweight to the 326 (as listed on tennis warehouse) for the nCode. I think I'm gonna look at Greg's site again to check up on that.

EDIT: Nevermind. The specs on Greg's site were unstrung, so my theory doesn't explain it. I have nothing. ;)

SoBad
09-13-2006, 09:53 PM
I don't know I think it's over 100mph though. The grunt is awesome and the cameraman needs practice.

ZPTennis
09-13-2006, 10:21 PM
A lot of people like to talk big, and say I could hit 100+, blah, blah, blah. It is amazing to me how many people on these boards could so easily hit 100-110 (cough),

and your quote from before...

I can hit serves between 100-115, and people that I play against say you could hear a "bzzzzzzz" (buzz) when it is nearing them.

so whos to say your better than the other people on here claiming the same thing when you do it also?
your just one of the many who you say talk big.

yet there are only a handful of female pro players who could eclipse that speed. These are professional who have been playing their who lives, 7 days a week, 14 hours a day, with perfect technique but they can't reach that speed, yet everyone on these boards has a 100+ serve (LOL).

First off, lets get real. Females are not as near as strong as Males. And there are a HELL of a lot of male tennis players around 5.0 level that have better and faster serves than the women on tour. And just because they have played there whole life countless hours, it still doesn't mean all of them have perfect technique on their serve.

Look at Dementieva. Her serve fails her over and over again. But she is capable of hitting over 100mph on occasion. And yet, i've seen Dementieva double fault whole games away before. Her toss starts to get farther and farther to the right and her form crumbles. She lacks any ability to hit a kick serve. I've only seen her hit variations of a slice serve. But she is still a professional tennis player and is capable of beating some of the top girls.

drakulie
09-14-2006, 07:00 AM
so whos to say your better than the other people on here claiming the same thing when you do it also? your just one of the many who you say talk big.

Patience. I already have a video camera and am waiting to get a radar gun so I could post videos with the radar gun.

In the meantime, if you can't wait contact No Skillz. I have played with him and he could vouch I am not BS'ing. He has actually commented to me that when my serve is coming at him he could hear the "Bzzzzzzzz" from all the spin and pace.

First off, lets get real. Females are not as near as strong as Males.

Agree. Being physically strong is one very small component. Strength will only get you so far, where as technique will take you the rest of the way-very long way.

And there are a HELL of a lot of male tennis players around 5.0 level that have better and faster serves than the women on tour.

Strongly disagree.

And just because they have played there whole life countless hours, it still doesn't mean all of them have perfect technique on their serve.

Agree, but they have better technique than the average players on these boards.

Look at Dementieva. Her serve fails her over and over again. But she is capable of hitting over 100mph on occasion. And yet, i've seen Dementieva double fault whole games away before. Her toss starts to get farther and farther to the right and her form crumbles. She lacks any ability to hit a kick serve. I've only seen her hit variations of a slice serve. But she is still a professional tennis player and is capable of beating some of the top girls.

Not saying I disagree with you but she is merely one example. The only thing wrong with her technique is where her toss ends up. The rest of her swing is awesome...the knee bend, coiling, dipping of shoulders, pronation, explosion and uncoiling into the swing, etc.

mahouFuji
09-14-2006, 09:52 PM
nice form, nice contact, nice kick on the serve but ENOUGH WITH THE FOOT FAULTS!!!

newnuse
09-15-2006, 11:10 AM
My friend serves big... I think he told me he clocked 110 or 120.. don't remember. I've seen very few people that serve like that. I do hear a buzz on some of his serves.

I find it hard to believe all the people that claim they serve 100+. I think if I go all out, I reach 100... pure guess since I've never had it measured. Most of my serves are probably in 80-90 range. I'm guessing I'm in the 4.0 range and most of my friends are the same. They have trouble returning my serves.

If you guys are serving 100+ at 4.0-4.5 level, you are bombing it.

mahouFuji
09-15-2006, 09:02 PM
im serving 70-90..... 3.5...