PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Racquets and Stringing

Amone
09-12-2006, 04:40 PM
On the Auction Sight Not to be Mentioned, I found an interesting-looking racquet (This one, to be specific, if it matters (http://cgi.*********/Adidas-Grand-Prix-Vintage-Tennis-Racquet_W0QQitemZ290029032256QQihZ019QQcategoryZ66 831QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem)) and the only thing that stopped me from buying it was my sudden realisation that in all likelihood, nobody knows its string patter near here! But after a while I began to wonder, maybe it's not so complex as I think, and you don't need it. So I ask, is it common to be able to get little-known, vintage racquets, strung?

dancraig
09-12-2006, 05:05 PM
If it has strings in it, just count the mains and crosses and note the holes to skip when pulling the mains. If it doesn't have strings, it shouldn't be difficult to "read" the grommets and see what goes where.

Amone
09-12-2006, 05:07 PM
You make a good point, but what I'm really trying to ask (though it would have been wise to stipulate it) is if I could take this in to a pro shop (or even to my local YMCA, which does stringing for some reason) and get it strung, since I'd be buying it without.

dancraig
09-12-2006, 06:30 PM
I think an experienced stringer would have no problem.

max
09-12-2006, 06:44 PM
I'm sure the Klippermate people would walk you through; they did this for me when I strung a couple of old wood frames.