PDA

View Full Version : Tennis in New Orleans

penang
09-12-2006, 06:50 PM
Can anyone tell about Tennis scene in the Greater New Orleans these days. I am going there end of this month for 2 week. Can't decide to bring my racquets along.

Geezer Guy
09-13-2006, 07:38 AM
There was an article in a recent TENNIS magazine about the efferts to restore a racquet club that had been damaged by the hurricane. I think they said the clean-up was going well, but that the membership had dropped off. I think the name was the New Orleans Tennis Club, or New Orleans Racquet Club, or something like that.

nolatennis
09-13-2006, 07:45 AM
Definitely bring your racquets! I can't really comment on the local tennis scene per say, but people are playing. Some of the local tennis facilities that are open include the WOW Cafe Tennis Center at U.N.O., City Park (still with limited hours, I think?), and several private clubs. If you happen to be staying at the Hilton Rivercenter there's a great indoor facility there. Also, there are a few nicer free public courts in the greater New Orleans area including Jefferson Playground in Jefferson and Terrytown Playground on the Westbank. You may also want to check out the NOLAtennis Yahoo Group at http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/nolatennis/ to find hitting partners. In addition, there's a clay court tournament coming up at the end of the month at WOW if you're interested in that.

I hope you enjoy your time in New Orleans!