PDA

View Full Version : Lead Tape Scanrios for the PS 6.0 85

Soundbyte
09-12-2006, 08:05 PM
I've been thinking and tinkering with adding lead tape to my 6.0. I really like how it plays stock, but Im looking to up the weight. Ideally, I want my racket to weight between around 370-380g. I have a couple questions

1. How will just increasing the weight, while keeping its balance, affect its playing?

2. Has anyone ever leaded up the 6.0 so that its about even-balance? How does it play?

3. Any recommendations for a 6.0 setup for a semi-western forehand, mainly s&v type player?

drakulie
09-12-2006, 08:44 PM
I add lead at 3 and 9 o'clock. It opens up the sweet spot a little. I have never evenly balanced it, and play with an eastern forehand, so can't help you there.

Good luck!

MTXR
09-12-2006, 08:52 PM
i put 5 inches of lead at 3 and 9

5 grams total.

It played well, but the balance was bit off from the original. So i wrapped 5 grams around the buttcap, and i am awaiting to string it up and give it a whirl. hopefully its back to its regular balance but with a little more weight. When i held it up against my other PS85 the balance looked the same.

VGP
09-12-2006, 09:59 PM
I've been thinking and tinkering with adding lead tape to my 6.0. I really like how it plays stock, but Im looking to up the weight. Ideally, I want my racket to weight between around 370-380g.

If you like it now, why add the weight....and what's so magical about 370-380g?

Not that I'm opposed to it....just curious.

oray777
09-12-2006, 10:14 PM
How come Pete Sampras modified his?

VGP
09-12-2006, 10:16 PM
How come Pete Sampras modified his?

He wanted his PS 85 to have the same weight and balance of his Wilson Jack Kramer Pro Staff.

(so I've read)

oray777
09-12-2006, 10:18 PM
Is it so that Federer'es racquet is closely the same as a regular manufactured 6.1 tour 90?

FitzRoy
09-12-2006, 11:54 PM
I've been thinking and tinkering with adding lead tape to my 6.0. I really like how it plays stock, but Im looking to up the weight. Ideally, I want my racket to weight between around 370-380g. I have a couple questions

1. How will just increasing the weight, while keeping its balance, affect its playing?

2. Has anyone ever leaded up the 6.0 so that its about even-balance? How does it play?

3. Any recommendations for a 6.0 setup for a semi-western forehand, mainly s&v type player?

I'd have to say that even-balance is probably a bad idea for a mainly serve & volley player. I have a 6.0 with lead in several places on the hoop and it really increases stability on volleys. To optimize it for volleying against opponents who hit with high pace and topspin, you'll probably want to counterweight it at the bottom of the handle or the bottom of the throat.

On the other hand, adding weight in the hoop will require some getting used to when serving. Power will be increased, but you'll find it harder to whip the racquet around. The best advice I can give is to mess around with it a little bit. Try different things out and see what you like.

AlpineCadet
09-13-2006, 02:43 AM

I tinker with lead tape myself, and was thinking just the same questions you have asked. But here's a question I have for you.. Why not try out different places and positions of lead tape for yourself? The experimental part is not only fun for your inner child, to say the least, but it also helps you understand your racket better. In experimenting with lots of inches of lead tape, it's the realizing of your racket's potential vs your threshold for having patience for your desired outcome that will outweigh the time period of your research. What you learn best from is your own personal experience and trials. Wouldn't you agree?

Well, there's a lot to be said about the customization of rackets, but who has the time to seek what's right for them through merely other peoples opinions and experiences of advice? Not everything you read on the internet, esp forums, are solid facts.

Anyway sorry about the rant, but those are great questions with different answers-to-come from each person you ask. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of great words in supporting the use of lead tape in the right places, but there's just too much to figure out on these forums. Bits and pieces of great information are just scattered everywhere, if you haven't figured that out for yourself already.

naturalgut
09-13-2006, 03:36 AM
I'm play S&V, but I hit with an eastern forehand. My Prostaff 6.085 is leaded in four places - 1) three layers of 5 inches at 3 and 9 2) 2 grams at the butt and 3) 8 grams at the throat

w00gy
09-13-2006, 05:29 AM
I put a heatshrink sleeve on my handle to up the grip one size and spin was gone before i new it....... i think it added about 15 grams to the handle but i'm not sure

Soundbyte
09-13-2006, 06:01 AM
I fully intend to tinker myself, and I already have. I was just looking for some starting advice.
I previously added 12 g to the 3&9, loved the stability and the volleying, but I notice I was hitting the ball much flatter than usual. So I'll eventually add about 12 grams under the handle as well.