PDA

View Full Version : Could You Solve This One?

huz
09-13-2006, 05:24 AM
Hi,
I have a Wilson ncode team racket( bought in the UK) which I received from Wilson as a replacement racket. The racket is the lighter ncode version( around 10.8 0z strung) and is basically the same one selling on Tennis Warehouse under the name of Wilson nPS(18 * 20). It has the same specs etc. It came pre-strung from Wilson with Wilson Sensation strings. My problem is this. Since it was prestrung, I have no idea what the tension of the strings are. I have heard that pre-strung jobs are at mid-tension but the tension seems very tight for this. Basically, the strings are tight in that you cant really move them at all(if you know what I mean, with your fingers). The racket says that optimum tension is between 53 and 63. However, I was wondering if any of you guys could help with it's possible string tension. I also find that I have difficulty creating power with the racket( since I can with other rackets) and believe this to be a cause of the string tension. Racket feels nice in other respects.

Any help would be really appreciated.

huz

Soundbyte
09-13-2006, 06:04 AM
If you have one of those fancy ERT 700 machine you can check the tension. Otherwise, save yourself the thought and just get it restrung.
There's really no way of knowing the tension, even if it was strung a mid tension, your racket could have been sitting on a shelf somewhere for a long time, hence lost some tension

huz
09-13-2006, 12:19 PM
yes but the problem is that it seems to have been strung higher than mid tension and therfore loss of tension is not an issue since it feels too tight, not too loose. I'm not sure.

Put it another way, does 58 pounds on a a Wilson ncode nps, 95 head size, or other similar racket, feel as tight as I have desceibed above?. I was wondering. Or must it be tighter. If you see what I mean.

Thor
09-13-2006, 12:30 PM
well,first of all i want to say that wilson ncode team seems to come only at the nsix one version,so you have to check by the colour of the racquet and the markings on it.
second,you've stated that this is a replacement racquet,was the previous racquet similar?did you just switch to this racquet?the reason im asking is that this is a low powered racquet with a small headsize(and it also has the con of being too light) so you basically have to create your own pace.if this is not the case,and you played with this exact racquet before,then as stated above - get a new stringjob,the tennis center near you where youll change the strings will probably have the equipment to tell you the current tension.

psp2
09-13-2006, 11:04 PM
You could spend a few quid and get it restrung to your liking. Simple solution.

tempura_MAKI
09-13-2006, 11:26 PM
58lbs is not what you are describing. at 58 lbs you would have more feel and power and spin and be able to move most strings with your finger (i.e. move them back from heavy spin play). I would imagine this is 60+. Usually around 64 lbs is when it gets way too tight for me. I go around 56-60 lbs on all my racquets.

AJK1
09-13-2006, 11:51 PM
Just play a few sets with it, it will decrease in tension the most within the first 2hrs of play, and then they will stay the same for a while.Then see how they feel.

travlerajm
09-13-2006, 11:56 PM
Just play a few sets with it, it will decrease in tension the most within the first 2hrs of play, and then they will stay the same for a while.Then see how they feel.

Yes, this is good advice. I find that a fresh set of strings plays about 2 lbs tighter (less lively) than when it's broken in.

huz
09-14-2006, 05:33 AM
Ok, Thanks for the ideas.

BreakPoint
09-14-2006, 11:42 AM
Whether or not you can move the strings with your fingers is not really a good indication of the tension IMHO. That depends more on the type of strings. Some strings will slide easier than others, while others will tend to lock themselves in place better.

With that said, I've found that some pre-strung racquets are strung very tight indeed, probably much higher than mid tension, more perhaps at the max tension. I think they do this on purpose because they know that racquet may sit on the shelf for many months before being sold all the while losing tension, so they're playing it safe and making an educated estimate that by the time a customer actually plays with it that it will have lost enough tension to be around the mid tension. Of course, if you got it directly from Wilson, it had no time to sit on the shelf in a store for months to have lost much tension.

Steve Huff
09-14-2006, 06:50 PM
Seems a lot of factory strung rackets were being strung at midpoint +2. So, 60 wouldn't be unreasonable. An 18 x 20 pattern is going to feel stiffer than a 16 x 19 pattern of the same head size also. Could it be that?

The pro shop at our club had some Dunlop factory strung rackets, and they were really tight too. They felt over the max in my opinion too. Too bad, as customers would hit with them and comment about them having no power, and how stiff they felt. Probably would have sold more with softer stringbed.

Coach Reed
09-14-2006, 07:16 PM
The nPS (18X20) came out of the same mold as the European version of the prostaff tour 95 (predecessor to the ncode nsix one) which was also 10.8 oz and 18X20. One of my high school players used this racquets and needed grommets for it. Well...the prostaff tour 95 (American version) had 16 mains (like the nsix one). The nPS grommets fit his racquet perfectly...Anyway, factory strung, at mid tension, in a dense (18X20) string pattern with Sensation 16 will feel pretty darn stiff (and be very difficult to "move"). As far as power, I would recommend a 17 gauge synthetic multifillament string like tecnifibre nrg 17 or Wilson NXT Tour 17. Reduce the tension by 2 or 3 pounds below mid. This will give you more power, soften the string bed, and allow for a little more ball pocketing. Multifillament strings are the most powerful (as far as energy return is concerned). You won't need to worry about breaking the thinner gauge rapidly because the dense string pattern won't allow for much frictional notching (sliding around in the string bed). It will also allow for better ball embedding, so the increase in power should be controllable as long as you can hit with a decent amount of topspin (whipping topspin).

huz
09-15-2006, 09:14 AM
I see.
So how much of a decrease in string tension (in pounds) should I expect from playing with the racket?

Coach Reed
09-15-2006, 11:26 AM
I see.
So how much of a decrease in string tension (in pounds) should I expect from playing with the racket?

Reducing the reference tension (pull tension) to 2-3 pounds below mid will still feel fairly stiff due to the dense string pattern. When measuring the mains and crosses installed in a racquet, you get the stringbed stiffness which is measured in pounds per square inch. This measurement is conducted on an RDC machine (racquet diagnostic center) by pulling down the strings from the center of the stringbed. I'm not quite sure if I understand your question...does this answer it?

huz
09-15-2006, 03:13 PM
I mean,
when I play with the racket on the courts, the string tension should drop as I hit balls around. But by how much around?

Coach Reed
09-15-2006, 07:24 PM
Okay, I see. Synthetic multifilament strings do elongate (stretch and lose tension) quite a bit. Strung at 2 pounds above mid, the strings offer a great deal of control. They are also the most powerful (resilient) types of string. So just using this string will give you more power. Sensation 16 has a core in it as well as multifilament fibers making it more rigid than a string that doesn't contain a core (such as Wilson NXT Tour 17). So sensation 16 in a dense string pattern is going to feel pretty rigid. At 3 pounds below mid, if you are a skilled player, you MAY be able to control the ball, but I wouldn't go lower than that. That would be a point of maximum controllable power (based on player skill level). So anywhere from 3 pounds below mid up to 2 pounds above mid should yield power and controll with this type of string in a dense string pattern. The dense string pattern is really the biggest factor here because even when the synthetic multifilament strings lose tension, you will still have a stiff stringbed (due to the 18 X 20 density) measured in pounds per square inch. I recommended going below mid because you said you didn't get power at mid with the sensation 16. Typically I recommend 2 pounds over mid as a rule with this type of string. That is allowing for elongation and optimal playability.

huz
09-16-2006, 03:22 PM
Ok, I see.

My local tennis shop advises to use Babolat Hurricane string as it is also durable. What are your thoughts on this for my particular racket ( Wilson ncode team (UK 10.8 oz version or the US ncode nPS). What about a recommended string tension for me with this string?
Any ideas?

Thanks.

huz
09-17-2006, 12:02 PM
By the way, assuming that the current tension is around 58-59 lbs.

Thanks in advance

huz
09-18-2006, 03:12 AM
cmon people. any help would be appreciated...

coach reed?

anyone else who knows?

Coach Reed
09-24-2006, 11:20 PM
Ok, I see.

My local tennis shop advises to use Babolat Hurricane string as it is also durable. What are your thoughts on this for my particular racket ( Wilson ncode team (UK 10.8 oz version or the US ncode nPS). What about a recommended string tension for me with this string?
Any ideas?

Thanks.

I just got back from vacation...sorry for leaving you hanging...Babolat hurricane wouldn't be number 1 on MY list. I would suggest either of these two:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACKLIP-KD17.html

or

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACKLIP-KEXP17.html

Mains: Polyester
Crosses: Multifilament

Strung @ 2 pounds below Mid

Detonator if your budget is tight and X-plosive for amazing feel and reponsiveness. You will get better than average durability with the Polyester main strings and the dense string pattern. I recommend below mid to soften up the string bed, reduce frame shock (arm friendly), and create ball pocketing. The thin gauge will give you good ball embedding even though you have a dense string pattern. This Detonator polyester is an 18 gauge string. One reason I suggest Klip is because the hybrids come already pre-packaged. I have used both of these string hybrids and have had excellent durability. I ALSO use a dense string pattern and, although I alternate racquets, have not had to re-string since February '06. My strings are still in great shape as far as playability is concerned. I play 2-3 times per week against 5.5 players. I hit with a lot of power and spin. Hope that information helps...Good Luck!
:)

Swissv2
09-25-2006, 12:56 AM
thanks for the suggestions Coach_Reed.
I am now testing different kinds of strings that the guys on my team would like to string their racquets with. I will definately try these strings out.

huz
09-25-2006, 12:45 PM
Thanks Coach Reed. The problem is that my local tennis shop has the following strings:

(I was wondering which you would recommend to string with considering all that I have said about my playing style etc etc. eg for the crosses, mains Thanks a lot.:) )

Prince Pro Blend
Prince More Feel 16
Prince Wrapsure
Prince TopSpin
Prince Super Syn Gut 15
Prince Syn Gut Original
Prince Tournament Nylon 15
Head Intellistring
Head Intellitour
Head Perfect Control
Rip Control
Rip Ti Fiber
Babolat Vs Touch
Babolat XCEL Premium
Babolat Pro Hurricane
Babolat Magicforce
Babolat Conquest
Tecnifibre Polyspin
Tecnifibre Syn Gut Power
Wilson NXT Tour
Wilson NXT
Wilson NXT Max
Wilson Sensation
Wilson Stamina DT
Wilson Stamina Spin
Wilson HyperLast 15L

The Pusher Terminator
09-25-2006, 12:48 PM
try the:

STRINGOMETER

http://www.answers.com/topic/measuring-string-tension-devices-tennis

SFrazeur
09-25-2006, 01:02 PM
Those meters cost $20-some dollars? What is your definition of cheap?

The Pusher Terminator
09-25-2006, 01:28 PM
Those meters cost $20-some dollars? What is your definition of cheap?

I never made a judgement as to whether I felt that $20 bucks for a string meter is cheap or not. But it certainly ends this debate on how to solve the problem.

SFrazeur
09-25-2006, 01:39 PM
I never made a judgement as to whether I felt that $20 bucks for a string meter is cheap or not. But it certainly ends this debate on how to solve the problem.

The Pusher Terminator, you changed your post. You had the word cheap in it.
Now, admit it. I made the mistake of not quoting you.

Huz, it was most likely strung at mid-range or 2 pounds over. You might try and contact Wilson to find of what their policy is.

The Pusher Terminator
09-25-2006, 03:52 PM
The Pusher Terminator, you changed your post. You had the word cheap in it.
Now, admit it. I made the mistake of not quoting you.

No I did not have the word cheap in it...but I do think that $20 bucks is not a lot of money to spend on a useful item like the string meter. In any event it does in fact solve the problem.

SFrazeur
09-25-2006, 03:54 PM
No I did not have the word cheap in it...but I do think that $20 bucks is not a lot of money to spend on a useful item like the string meter. In any event it does in fact solve the problem.

Yes, you did. I will no longer converse with you.

huz
09-26-2006, 03:51 PM
Any ideas concerning my last post Coach Reed?

Thanks in advance

The Pusher Terminator
09-26-2006, 04:01 PM
Yes, you did. I will no longer converse with you.

I cannot believe the moderators took out a line fron Seinfeld. I called this guy the "soup N azi". Its a line from Seinfeld!! prime time TV!!!

You guys are getting out of hand!! That term got by the television censors...but its not clean enough to get by you!!!...You guys are the Moderator N azi's

Coach Reed
09-27-2006, 02:19 AM
Any ideas concerning my last post Coach Reed?

Thanks in advance

Main: Polyester 17 or 18 gauge
Polyspin
or
Pro hurricane
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACBAB-BH17HS.html

Crosses: synthetic multifilament 17 gauge
NXT 17
or
NXT tour 17
or
XCel premium 17
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACBAB-BXCEL17HS.html

Babolat sells half sets, so that is the easiest way to go for one racquet. If you are stringing two racquets, you can get any of these combinations of full sets cut them in half (or have your stringer measure them out and cut them)
and split them between the two racquets...
Best of luck,
NEOS 1000

huz
09-27-2006, 07:00 AM
Ok thanks. I forgot to ask you about the string tension I should string this combination at. I would probably use Pro Hurricane with NXT tour. I want much more power from the racket than I currently have. So what string tension(s) should I use. Bearing in mind the racket says tension range 53-63lbs. Thanks in advance.

huz
09-28-2006, 10:36 AM
by the way, does NXT string come in 'half' packets for hybrid setups?

SFrazeur
09-28-2006, 10:42 AM
by the way, does NXT string come in 'half' packets for hybrid setups?

Unfortunately you cannot buy it in a separate single half set. only in combination with another half set.

huz
09-28-2006, 03:17 PM
Ok I see.
I wonder what the difference between Pro hurricane and
polyspin is. Any ideas?

huz
10-12-2006, 03:09 PM
:)Any ideas for the tension I should string at for these combos( see above)??

Thanks for ideas:)

onkystomper
10-13-2006, 04:32 AM
Factory stringing is just awful anyway. They normally pull 2 0r sometimes 3 strings at a time. Do yourself a favour and restring it.

The Pusher Terminator
10-13-2006, 06:10 AM
nevermind.........................

Steve Huff
10-13-2006, 04:03 PM
If you want more power, why are you wanting to string it with a poly (Pro Hurricane). Although it is relatively powerful POLY, in the realm of all strings, it is not powerful. Try using an all NXT stringjob. That will give you more power.

huz
10-13-2006, 05:01 PM
I think Pro Hurricane is good for durability??, Im not sure, if you see in a previous post, coach reed recommended it. But my main question is, even with a full NXT job, at what string tension should I string??

Thanks

huz
10-14-2006, 03:10 PM
Any help would be appreciated, I just need an answer to my last post(above:rolleyes: )

huz
10-16-2006, 03:56 PM
cmon, need some responses to my last question. please.:confused:

PBODY99
10-16-2006, 04:24 PM
Try 58lbs. Yes, the middle of the range.{ f you are asking this type of question, I take it you haven't had much experience; no disrespect meant as you might easuily beat an old man like myself} Then record the following information in your book: How it felt the first time out, and after each playing session record the time and style of use{ Hittin on ther wall, live practice, matches....}
Now you have a benchmark.
Take it to the same stringer andthe two of you can work it out from there.:cool: