PDA

View Full Version : MFil 300 - Does It Play Stiffer than 61?

TripleB
09-13-2006, 06:01 AM
I bought a Maxply McEnroe and had it strung a bit tight which makes the sweetspot feel a little smaller and the racquet play a little less comfortable than expected. I'm going to have it restrung at a lower tension with a softer string and see how that effects the feel, sweetspot, and power level.

In looking for something similar but more flexible, the MFil 300 obviously came to mind---it's somewhat lighter but it is a Dunlop and has similar specs (and shape).

I see that the stiffness rating is 61 for the MFil 300.

But while reading many of the recent post on this racquet it seems like most people feel like it plays pretty stiff...or at least stiffer than the 61 would indicate.

My initial shyness away from this racquet was because I thought it would lack power because of the 10.9 ounce weight and having a 61 flex rating. Since a lot of people feel it's stiffer than the 61, now my shyness away from the racquet is because of a fear of developing arm problems because of the light weight and stiffness combination.

Can anyone please give me some feedback on how really stiff this racquet plays? If it has excellent power (especially on the serve)? If you've developed any arm problems using it?

Also, can anyone compare the 300G to the MFil 300? I did a playtest review for the 300G and hated it for various reasons: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/playtests/TRIPB01.html Just wondering if the MFil 300 is that much different.

Thanks.

TripleB

Caswell
09-13-2006, 11:32 AM
It's very dependent on where you hit on the racquet face. It's an extremely unforgiving racquet when it comes to mishits - if you're not hitting the ball well, the 300 is going to feel like an elbow breaker.

TripleB
09-13-2006, 01:04 PM
It's very dependent on where you hit on the racquet face. It's an extremely unforgiving racquet when it comes to mishits - if you're not hitting the ball well, the 300 is going to feel like an elbow breaker.

Thanks for the info. It doesn't look like the MFil 300 would be a good combo of my Nano Speed RQ7 and Maxply McEnroe. The NSRQ7, even though it's got a 63 flex, seems a lot more flexible than that so the MF300 may seem a little stiff if the sweetspot is small.

TripleB

tempura_MAKI
09-13-2006, 02:48 PM
I have the m-fil 200 currently in my demo arsenal, and personally it has already convinced me into it being my next racquet of choice. I had no problems of it being stiff, expecially it being strung 3lbs over the median suggestion rating. I had shoulder pain from using such a light racquet and that hindering my swing style, but since ive used this all the pain has gone. I have hit plenty of off spot balls and it was not as harsh as people take it out to be. It wasnt a problem at all for me. what I really want to know is the difference between the 200 and 300, cuz from what i hear the 300 is worth a try. I hope this helps.

TripleB
09-14-2006, 04:42 AM
I have the m-fil 200 currently in my demo arsenal,

I was asking about the M-Fil 300 but since you brought up the M-Fil 200: Is the stability very good on this racquet (it's pretty headlight to be such a light racquet already)? How is the power level of the 200? Thanks.

TripleB

Redflea
09-14-2006, 08:09 PM

I'd disagree strongly on that...the M-Fil 300 is harsher than some other racquets on the frame or very near frame...on the sweet spot (which is well sized or "normal" off-center shots it is great to good.

I have a history of shoulder and arm issues, and when I moved to the M-Fil 300 from the RDX Mid (the most comfy racquet I ever used) I did not experience any arm issues at all...

dunlopjew
09-14-2006, 09:32 PM
I was asking about the M-Fil 300 but since you brought up the M-Fil 200: Is the stability very good on this racquet (it's pretty headlight to be such a light racquet already)? How is the power level of the 200? Thanks.

TripleB

i think that the best way to describe the 200 would be that it is virtually the liquidmetal prestige with + 2 sq. inches in the headsize and a blue color scheme. these two racquets play very similarly along with having very similar specs, swingweight, total weight, headlight balance, stiffness, etc. the 200 is a very solid racquet and i like it a lot. so if you've tried the liquidmetal prestige mid and liked it, then definitely give the mfil 200 a whirl.

DragonFly
09-15-2006, 12:19 AM
well, the higher you string, the more flexible it gets. TW does their own flex raings and averages them. The listed stiffness on the frame is 64, not 61

SteveI
09-15-2006, 04:19 AM
I'd disagree strongly on that...the M-Fil 300 is harsher than some other racquets on the frame or very near frame...on the sweet spot (which is well sized or "normal" off-center shots it is great to good.

I have a history of shoulder and arm issues, and when I moved to the M-Fil 300 from the RDX Mid (the most comfy racquet I ever used) I did not experience any arm issues at all...

Hi,

In my experience, I would say the harsh is not quite the correct word, but the M-Fil has a smallish sweetspot compared to other frames I have played in this class of frames (98 head size - 16 x 19). I had a frame set up with a multi at midrange and had trouble finding the sweetspot at times and a real reduction of power in those cases. All and all I was not all that impressed by this frame and it played more like RA 65 than 61. I hope that helps.

Regards,
Steve

TripleB
09-15-2006, 05:33 AM
Hi,
All and all I was not all that impressed by this frame and it played more like RA 65 than 61. I hope that helps.

Regards,
Steve

Yes, that helped. It seems like the MFil300 isn't as far away (stiffness wise) from my Maxply McEnroe ( 68 ) as I first thought.

TripleB