PDA

View Full Version : Tennis ball machine 2-line function

mistral
09-13-2006, 09:45 AM
Is it really worth getting the 2-line function? I know it's good for practicing alternating forehand and backhand shots, but can't that be accomplished (to some degree) with the random oscillator?

I narrowed my search to Tennis Tutor Plus and Silent Partner Pro. 2-line option in TT is $200, and the programmable oscillator option in SP costs $300.

Thanks,
Matt

Cruzer
09-13-2006, 11:44 AM
I have a TT 4+ with the 2 line function and it is very good for two people to hit at the same time since it shoots the balls quite wide on each side. If you hit an entire hopper full of ground strokes yourself with the 2 line setting you will get a good workout depending on how much time you select between shots. If you hit just volleys the 2 line function works quite well for one person.

Chipenstein
09-15-2006, 10:01 AM
I've got a TT Player+ and I love the 2 line function. I use the narrow 2-line for just myself where I hit one forehand, one backhand, etc. and the wide 2-line if I've got my kids or wife with me. Get the remote too, it's very handy.

Using the random oscillator you can also work on different shots, but it's a different type of workout. You spend a lot of time chasing down balls and getting into position to hit as you run cross court. A great workout and drill, but different than being able to switch back and forth, getting your groove down just working on your forehand and backhand.

cmanxx
09-15-2006, 10:26 AM
Ive been practicing with a ball machine and I wouldnt even consider buying one if it didnt do 2-line. the one im using doesnt have random oscillator but that would be even better. it gets old fast just standing there hitting the same shot.

what would be really nice is one that would let you program in a dozen or so different shots (speed, location, elevation, spin) then randomly cycle through them. If this exists in a ball machine its probably one of the $10k models.

varuscelli
09-15-2006, 01:24 PM
Is it really worth getting the 2-line function? I know it's good for practicing alternating forehand and backhand shots, but can't that be accomplished (to some degree) with the random oscillator?

I narrowed my search to Tennis Tutor Plus and Silent Partner Pro. 2-line option in TT is $200, and the programmable oscillator option in SP costs $300.

Thanks,
Matt

I've got the Silent Partner Pro without the two-line option and I sometimes wish I had it. But, you don't really have to have it for just yourself. You can also get by just doing a switch from backhand to forehand, with or without the oscillation.

Sometimes I'll set the machine up for a "static" shot to one part of the court, then back off either to the backhand or forehand side and position myself to have to take a few steps to get to the ball, hit the ball, and move back away again, switching from forehand to backhand every few shots. It'll give you a pretty good workout doing that, depending on how you set up the feed rate and speed. Again, I'd rather have the two-line option available, but the cost of the machine without it was already a pretty high price to pay (for me). Budget-wise, I decided against it -- but I could sure see the argument for it.

mistral
09-16-2006, 04:27 AM
Thanks for all the replies.

I ordered the Silent Partner Pro yesterday without the programmable option. The price was the deal breaker.

I'll try to compensate for the lack of the 2-line function by either using the random oscillator, or by alternating my shots the way varuscelli described.