PDA

View Full Version : some useful tips that I noticed when hitting today.

looseswing
09-13-2006, 01:03 PM
Some things I noticed that might help those of you have a need for more consistent and powerful strokes. Some of these will be obvious some will not (I think). Tell me what you think.

1. footwork- obviously one of the most important parts of tennis. I have seen a lot of people with bad footwork who think they move well, and I have seen people who know they move poorly. Footwork is very important because it is from here that you set up the rest of your strokes. What I noticed: with better footwork I can get more power because I can set my body behind the ball, I frame much less because I get in the proper position. Tips: stay on your toes, if you have trouble try splitstepping a little earlier, and last stay bent. I noticed that pros do this and it is just a very good thing to do, plus it facilitates a knee bend.

2. bend your knees more than you think you have to. This one is self explanatory, but it just helps develop that deep knee bend that is so vital for your game.

3. check your backswing- it may be too long. I know that I always thought that I had a moderate lenght backswing until someone told me how high above my head my swing was. I shortened it today and had an easier time hitting the ball in front of me. Tips: if you have trouble just try using your nondominant hand to bring your raquet to the side of your head and voila, good backswing.

4. hit the ball in front and to the side. In my efforts to take the ball far in front of me I was hitting too close to my body. Step a little farther a way from the ball and you can still hit out front but get better power.

5. balance, make sure that you feel that your center of gravity is in between your legs. I know that I read some good threads on this, and now am working towards better results. It just helps you hit cleaner and time better.

This is what I noticed today. Hope it helps at least one of you. Feel free to add anyting you have noticed on your own.

GhostLigre
09-13-2006, 07:32 PM
Yeah, I agree in every single one of those things, especially the footwork. Before, I used to have such horrific footwork until my coach drilled me in moving up and back while hitting grounstrokes, short balls and deep balls aternatively. It really helped my footwork a lot and now I can get into position to shift my weight forward and into the ball, giving me the power and depth that I want.

Yes, also take the ball early all the time. Better too early than too late. You'll still be able to hit through the ball if you hit it early, but you can't if you are late. Try taking it 5 feet in front of you. This will help in takign the ball early and giving it penetration. No backswing either. Long backswings can cause misshits and frames due to the often late swings that come in such big backswings.