PDA

View Full Version : Best Grand Slam or ATP Masters to see in person

icazares
09-13-2006, 04:04 PM
I've been in the 3rd round Saturday of the last 5 US Opens. Please note that I never go to Ashe stadium because I really want to be close to the players within a budget. For next year, my wife and I would like to try another tournament, so we can combine travel and tennis. What is your experience with other Grand Slams? I looked in the Internet for RG or Wimbledon tickets, but they seem outrageously expensive (500 dollars and more even for early rounds). Is there a way to get something in the same range of the US Open (49 dollars) in RG, Wimbledon or Australia with a close look at the match? Is there any other tournament you recommend us? What about the stadiums for the other Grand Slams? Are they worth it, or are they ridiculous white elephants like the Ashe stadium?

For the record I live in DC. Love the Legg Mason but the best of the best do not come here.

Jack the Hack
09-13-2006, 05:20 PM
As far as Slams, I have only been to the US Open... I was there for the first week this year. I agree with you regarding Ashe - we spent almost all of our time at other courts. The Grandstand was my favorite place to watch because there were always highly ranked players scheduled on that court, and we were able to get into the first 3 or 4 rows every time.

I have read previously on this board that the Australian Open is probably the most fan friendly of the other Slams. Unfortunately, your looking at a long and expensive flight to get there. The French is probably next, and Wimbledon would be last as far as seeing good tennis up close easily and for a decent price.

Aside from the Slams, I have heard from multiple people that the US Masters Series events are great for seeing action up close for a good price. Every year, a group from the tennis club I belong to goes down to Palm Desert for the Pacific Life tournament. I've been told that it is just like the US Open as far as being able to go court to court and see great players up close. They also have both the men and women playing at the same time at that one, so I imagine that there is a lot of similarity to the Open in that respect. I've also heard great things about Cincinatti, the Nasdaq Open in Miami, and the Canadian Open (which switches back forth between Montreal and Toronto).

whodey
09-13-2006, 06:16 PM
the ATP tourney in Cincy is nice, all the top players without the ridiculous crowds. Its a nice and convienient facility

mctennis
09-13-2006, 07:34 PM
Monte Carlo. I'd love to go.

mctennis
09-13-2006, 07:36 PM
the ATP tourney in Cincy is nice, all the top players without the ridiculous crowds. Its a nice and convienient facility
I agree. I've been going for many, many years. It is nice and close to all the players. I must admit the last two years have been really crowded in comparison to the other years.

icazares
09-14-2006, 06:23 AM
Can anyone share her/his RG/Wimbledon experience? Costs? Closeness to the players? How to get tickets?

i am a tennis freak
09-14-2006, 10:37 AM
We are trying the MIami tourney next yr...........It looks like a good one in a smaller stadium than NYc..........I believe this to be by far the best major in the US by far ( though i have never been there)...They get all the best players ( lots of prize money brings them in of course) ............The stadium looks like it has to be better the the mammoth Ashe stadium in NYC.........

atatu
09-14-2006, 08:37 PM
I really like Indian Wells, you can find housing pretty cheap on the web, and you can play tennis on some beautiful courts and watch the best pros play.

migjam
09-16-2006, 04:29 AM
I really like Indian Wells, you can find housing pretty cheap on the web, and you can play tennis on some beautiful courts and watch the best pros play.

I second this. Indian Wells (Pacific Life Open) is a great tournament to go to.

roddick_rulz
09-16-2006, 08:06 AM
Rogers cup is great.

vive le beau jeu !
09-16-2006, 09:58 AM
Monte Carlo. I'd love to go.
i went there... indeed, the landscape is great : between the sea and the mountains ! :)
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=89456#8

AndrewD
09-23-2006, 02:13 AM
Of the majors, the Aus Open is the easiest to get tickets for (roll up on the day and buy at the gate or pre-purchase at numerous vendors in the city) and has the most relaxed atmosphere (probably also best value for your dollar). On the outside courts you some with mini-stands which offer excellent views and close proximity to the players, however, you also have some courts where you can just lean against the short, side fence and be only a few steps off the court itself. If you have the time, arrive a few days early and catch the qualifying tournament. It's free and gives you a feel for the lay-out. The surrounds are very pleasant with lots of parkland and it is only a short 30 minute walk from the heart of the city or a 5 minute tram ride (free during the Open). The French Open I would consider to be the most attractive of the majors (the clay courts look stunning) although you aren't as close to the action. I can't say I really enjoy the clay-court game but there is definitely something unique about Roland Garros (although I would choose Monaco ahead of it). Wimbledon is Wimbledon so, if you're looking to visit one of the big 4, it should be at the top of your list. Tickets aren't as easy to come by, queuing is a must (personally, I hate queues) and it does feel very cramped when you're inside the grounds, however, on some of the outside courts you are quite close to the action. Centre-court, if you're able to get in, is definitely one of the world's greatest sporting venues, none of the other majors have anything remotely like it and the atmosphere is truly unique.

crosscourt
09-23-2006, 04:01 AM
I am going to try to go to the Rome masters next year. The tennis centre is close to the city centre, the weather is good, Rome is a fabulous city, and during the week there never seems to be anyone there. Can it be that simple? I doubt it.

boxingguy
09-23-2006, 09:59 AM
PLO Indian Wells, definitely. All the players are there, except the Williams. Players outside the top ten are very accessible if you want to chat or get a picture or autograph. You can find a room nearby for around $100 if you search the net. It's one of the highlights of the year for me.

nalbandian_fan
09-23-2006, 11:59 AM
nasdaq-100open is the best in my opinion, you get the same great players as the grand slams with a more lively atmosphere in the middle of paradise(miami). Prices are more reasonable than the US Open, and you can get much closer to the players... I got autographs from federer, blake, nalbandian, tursonov, chela, mauresmo, kuznetsova and lots more i can't even remember .

Mr.Federer
09-23-2006, 12:23 PM
Montreal...next year it's the masters with the men. Plus, Montreal holds the record for both and women attendance record in a one week tournament...so it's always filled with buzz and excitement. Montreal is also a beautiful city with lots of stuff to see.

drakulie
09-23-2006, 01:18 PM
nasdaq-100open is the best in my opinion, you get the same great players as the grand slams with a more lively atmosphere in the middle of paradise(miami). Prices are more reasonable than the US Open, and you can get much closer to the players... I got autographs from federer, blake, nalbandian, tursonov, chela, mauresmo, kuznetsova and lots more i can't even remember .

True!

dennis1188
09-25-2006, 02:58 PM
Of the majors, the Aus Open is the easiest to get tickets for (roll up on the day and buy at the gate or pre-purchase at numerous vendors in the city) and has the most relaxed atmosphere (probably also best value for your dollar). On the outside courts you some with mini-stands which offer excellent views and close proximity to the players, however, you also have some courts where you can just lean against the short, side fence and be only a few steps off the court itself. If you have the time, arrive a few days early and catch the qualifying tournament. It's free and gives you a feel for the lay-out. The surrounds are very pleasant with lots of parkland and it is only a short 30 minute walk from the heart of the city or a 5 minute tram ride (free during the Open). The French Open I would consider to be the most attractive of the majors (the clay courts look stunning) although you aren't as close to the action. I can't say I really enjoy the clay-court game but there is definitely something unique about Roland Garros (although I would choose Monaco ahead of it). Wimbledon is Wimbledon so, if you're looking to visit one of the big 4, it should be at the top of your list. Tickets aren't as easy to come by, queuing is a must (personally, I hate queues) and it does feel very cramped when you're inside the grounds, however, on some of the outside courts you are quite close to the action. Centre-court, if you're able to get in, is definitely one of the world's greatest sporting venues, none of the other majors have anything remotely like it and the atmosphere is truly unique.

When is beginning of 1st week of the 2007 Aus Open?
My brother-in-law lives in sydney, wants to meet w/ me in melb. and attend 1st week '07 Aus Open.

wally
09-26-2006, 05:57 AM
My two favorites

The Master event in Cincy - I'm a bit biased having lived there for 10yrs, but i think its hard to find a better tournament at a better price.

The RCA's in Indy - No its not a masters event but.... You'll see a few top players and several 2 level and up and coming players. Great venue, easy to get to easy to get out of. If it rains there is al ot to do in downtown Indianapolis. Again its a great value.

maverick66
09-26-2006, 09:35 AM
nasdaq is best ive been 2. i went to houston for end of year masters that was great 2 but that place is not really big enough for that level of tourny. ive also been to delray nd the us open. i dont like the us open that much ashe is way to big. delray is to small and the best dont show up. ive also been to the newport one at the hall of fame that was small also with mostly challenger level players.