PDA

View Full Version : pure control or pure storm?

greg280
09-13-2006, 05:31 PM
hi to everyone... me... 5.0 baseliner conventional grip ,one handed backhand.the sitiuation...coming off the pure drive and demoed the pure control std. and loved it. great weight plush, heavy spin and good flat hitting capabilities for me at least. now before taking the plunge on the pure control, would i be missing out by not trying the storm??? i mean i did the control zylon 360 a few years back and... na... to light and unstable, and i have no manuverability or stiffness issues with the control either so factor those out of the eqation or wrist elbow shoulder in perfect condition, and does the flexibility of the storm, say, even if leaded up,reduce stability? plese help!have tried all other frames and options and narrowed it down to these 2 specifically. thanks!

basil J
09-13-2006, 05:59 PM
I am a 4.0 and have a bad shoulder and the storm gives me no problems, the pure control with a stiffness rating of 70 makes my shoulder ache. They are less than 1/2 an ounce in weight difference. The flex is more noticeable than the weight difference. The storm is much more stable than the zylon series model. I couldn't play with that. Try both. I know people who use both, but I have only heard elbow/wrist/shoulder complaints from pure control users, not storm users.

ollinger
09-13-2006, 06:10 PM
I've hit with both -- the Storm felt like a toy compared to the Control. Had to practically melt an ingot of lead onto the Storm to render it playable, liked the Control right out of the box (but it certainly feels stiff). And I believe 11.8 minus 11.0 (ounces) is not less than 0.5.
________
Ocean View Condos Pattaya (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)

whodey
09-13-2006, 06:19 PM
I've hit with both -- the Storm felt like a toy compared to the Control. Had to practically melt an ingot of lead onto the Storm to render it playable, liked the Control right out of the box (but it certainly feels stiff). And I believe 11.8 minus 11.0 (ounces) is not less than 0.5.

I agree, demo the storm if you want, but i would go with the pure control

boojay
09-13-2006, 06:25 PM
never played with the Storm, but love the Control

greg280
09-13-2006, 06:36 PM
hey thanks guys, seems like the initial consenses is no stiffness, injury, or heavier weight issues the control will hit a heavier ball.

basil J
09-13-2006, 06:36 PM
You are right, my mistake, I misread the weights on the spec page. Sorry.
By the way, I haven't use a sub 12 oz frame in 5 years and the storm although a little lighter still feels solid. I have a friend of mine who plays at 4.5 level who used a 200G MW for years without issue. He switched to a pure control last year. The pace and spin of his shots increased considerably. He was loving it. Slowly but surely he started to develop a nagging ache in his elbow. He hits a semi w FH and a 2HBH and is a lifelong player with no prior isuues. His elbow is so bad now that he had to take the fall season off.
I am not saying that this is a bad frame at all, Just a word of caution. If you are twenty something, go for it, if you are 40 something like me & my aching friend, you may want to consider a frame with more flex. Just my 2 cents...

Forehand Forever
09-13-2006, 06:46 PM
I've had the Pure Control for almost two years and I can tell you this. I'm 14 with serious shoulder problems, doctors told me it could be career ending. The injury was starting to make its way into my elbow which my doctor said you lead to Tommy John Surgery. My shoulder injury was in its prime around May/June I think and I still have to take it easy. My serve used to be a huge part of my game and now I haven't hit a serve in over 3 weeks. So I'm not really recommending this racquet.

tennisphotog
09-13-2006, 07:07 PM
having tested both myself, the pure control wins out IMHO

Exci
09-14-2006, 11:18 AM
Will be able to comment after the weekend as I'm getting a BPS to play with to possibly replace my cracked Pure Control (yes they do crack, but considering the stiffness, it lasted long enough). I have truly enjoyed the Pure Control all these years and if the weight does not slow you the slightest bit down, you should probably get the Pure Control.

Oh and for the record, I've endured a lot of pain with several racquets in my wrist because I broke it some period before that, but once I got the Pure Control I never had any pain anymore, neither in my wrist nor in my arm or shoulder. As long as you consistently hit the sweetspot, it's perfectly safe imo.

tennis life
09-14-2006, 03:41 PM
Pure Storm is a great all around racquet. Ive tried both and IMO pure storm wins, and the PC hurt my arm alot

andrew_b
09-15-2006, 06:48 AM
I haven't played the Pure Storm, but recently switched from the Dunlop 200G (Revelation, then MW, then HM) to the Pure Control +.

I liked the balance and swing of the + over the standard....

play well,
Andrew