PDA

View Full Version : Federer racket twirl

rrhstennis
09-13-2006, 06:09 PM
I'm not Fed and I'm not trying to be, but I play with the nSix-One so I think that twirl he does when waiting for the opponent to serve is pretty cool. I'm still trying to figure it out... does anybody know how to do it?
It looks like he just sort of holds the racket like normal but uses the off-hand, the left, to pull it around in circles? Or something along those lines. Anybody have any idea?

Sorry if you guys think this is stupid, I think it's a pretty cool little useless thing. Sort of like Agassi's pulling up his pants or something haha ;)

He does it about about 1:15 in this video if you don't know what I'm talking about -->
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3Db9asWTLs&mode=related&search=

tarheels2323
09-13-2006, 06:13 PM
He uses his non dominant hand as a support and uses his dominant hand to twist the handle of the racquet around. I'm pretty sure the majority of tennis players do this. I did until recently when I decided that my return is more effective if I prepare with a backhand grip and sway the racquet from side to side until I split step.

Frenchie
09-13-2006, 06:17 PM
1. Hold raquet like Fed does, with your dominant hand on handle and nondominant hand on the racquet throat.
2. Spin the racuqet with the right hand while simultaneously loosening the grip of nondominant hand on the throat.
3. Tighten the grip of the nondominant hand on the throat as the racquet nears a complete spin from your starting postition.
4. Repeat

This seems to just be a nervous habit and has no effect on Federer's return of serve.

alan_tae
09-13-2006, 06:41 PM
wow...i thought everyone did this at somepoint...i do it all the time on the court...no idea why i do it but i constantly find myself doing it...it's usually the first thing i do when i pick up a racquet.

nadalito92
09-13-2006, 06:56 PM
me too, its like auto pilot, i grab the racquet, quick spin lol

Zets147
09-13-2006, 07:03 PM
I assume a lot of ppl spin their racquets like this. But I have to say that I can't do it as fast as Fed.

ucd_ace
09-13-2006, 07:12 PM
If you're going to anticipate a serve to one side of your body or the other, you usually start with the grip to that side. Spinning your racquet until your opponent tosses the ball hides which side you're cheating towards. I know I always check how my opponent is holding their racquet before I serve and if there's a noticable grip, I'll serve away from the grip.

I think for the most part, it's just a nervous habit. One time they showed that Gasquet even spins his racquet after shots during a rally. I do this sometimes too, but not for any reason. I don't even really think about it.

str33t
09-13-2006, 07:16 PM
lol i can spin it so hard that i just have to loosely hold the throat with my left hand and it just keeps on spinning.

mj01
09-13-2006, 10:38 PM
I'm racquet twirler, and I wish I could stop (or at least not do it as much). In certain situations I won't get a decent grip on a serve return due to the habitual twirling, and there goes that point.

For me, its always felt natural. Rock back and forth, and twirl the racquet. When I don't do the twirl, the grip feels forced. I begin to think too much about it.

This falls into the same category (for me) as propping my racquet head on my toss hand before I serve (I rest the head on my last 3 fingers, hold the ball with thumb and index). I never even realized I did that for a long, long time, but its something that feels completely natural.

EuroMagnum
09-14-2006, 02:36 AM
I wanna learn how Blake does his thing, when he's waiting for a serve or wins a point he spins the racquet vertically. Looks pretty cool.

patrick922
09-14-2006, 08:14 AM
i thought everyone did 'fed racquet twirl' or everyone should know how to do it without any instruction. Because i remember doing this when i first picked up a racquet.

rrhstennis
09-14-2006, 03:29 PM
i thought everyone did 'fed racquet twirl' or everyone should know how to do it without any instruction. Because i remember doing this when i first picked up a racquet.

Yeah, I see it now. I think everyone can do it including me and I'm just stupid. When I saw Fed live on TV it looked to me like he was doing something a bit different, but after really looking at the vids he is doing what you all say.

Thanks guys :)

str33t
09-14-2006, 03:45 PM
I wanna learn how Blake does his thing, when he's waiting for a serve or wins a point he spins the racquet vertically. Looks pretty cool.
yeah, i tried doing that but my finger got stuck in the throat and it somehow bent my finger. i probably did it wrong.

mahouFuji
09-14-2006, 09:47 PM
I'm not Fed and I'm not trying to be, but I play with the nSix-One so I think that twirl he does when waiting for the opponent to serve is pretty cool. I'm still trying to figure it out... does anybody know how to do it?
It looks like he just sort of holds the racket like normal but uses the off-hand, the left, to pull it around in circles? Or something along those lines. Anybody have any idea?

Sorry if you guys think this is stupid, I think it's a pretty cool little useless thing. Sort of like Agassi's pulling up his pants or something haha ;)

He does it about about 1:15 in this video if you don't know what I'm talking about -->
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3Db9asWTLs&mode=related&search=

um im kinda a federer in my school except i dun use his racquet i wear the bandana and i have his forehand and i do that "twirl" too so um use ur left hand i use it

ShooterMcMarco
09-14-2006, 09:59 PM
bungalo should write a tutorial on this, maybe the wrist release can be used :)

colababy
09-20-2006, 04:19 AM
I thought most ppl twirls it the other way? Clockwise. Federer does it his weird way.

mahouFuji
09-20-2006, 10:26 PM
ok? does it matter? hes still no 1 O.O

Defcon
09-20-2006, 11:53 PM
The twirl stores potential energy in the racket head which is then transferred to the ball, thus making the return more reliable. If you watch closely you will notice that when Fed is ready to receive serve and somehow the opponent doesn't, he untwirls the racket to diffuse the energy so that it doesn't go flying out of his hand.

There are those who will disagree with my interpretation of the laws of physics. Thats the curse of being ahead of my time, which I gladly suffer ;)

tennis_hand
09-21-2006, 12:37 AM
I think twisting the racket will make your changing grip better.
If you always hold the racket very firmly in one grip, you will become lazy changing grip or become slow in changing.

DragonFly
09-21-2006, 01:11 AM
The twirl stores potential energy in the racket head which is then transferred to the ball, thus making the return more reliable. If you watch closely you will notice that when Fed is ready to receive serve and somehow the opponent doesn't, he untwirls the racket to diffuse the energy so that it doesn't go flying out of his hand.

There are those who will disagree with my interpretation of the laws of physics. Thats the curse of being ahead of my time, which I gladly suffer ;)

are you taliking about the racquet twirl in his hands... or his wristy whipping forehand?

PE is based on an objects position, not its movement. Kinetic Energy is. twirling the racquet in between your hands can't increase PE, right? Not trying to be insultng or anything, I think I'm just in physics mode after spending 90 minutes in AP Physics

Fishbulb
09-21-2006, 01:11 AM
Sorry about being confronting, but i have been doing that since i started, even when i couldnt hit the ball i was still doing it.

In fact, i can do it with one hand and spin it around my body.

I actually thought everybody was able to do it!

Court_Jester
09-21-2006, 02:08 AM
Until you brought this up, I never realized that I twirl my racquet the way he does it. It just feels natural to do it this way. I don't use my non-dominant hand to twirl it but rather I use my right thumb (of my dominant hand) to push on the handle to start the motion. I do it to relax and reset my grip, more than anything else.