PDA

View Full Version : USMRTs and all stringers >> Babolat Pure Control stringing question

ATXtennisaddict
09-13-2006, 08:01 PM
I tried to string my friend's BPC Team and it said it needed one piece stringing. What if I want 2 piece? What holes do I 'Start Cross' and 'Tie Cross'?? Dang it, I need a guide to 2-piece this racquet.

dancraig
09-13-2006, 08:09 PM
Start cross at the first top cross. Tie cross at the nearest enlarged grommet. If there isn't an enlarged grommet available, you will have to enlarge one.

Mike Cottrill
09-13-2006, 08:10 PM
There should be a cross hole around 10B you can use to tie off the cross. Should be able to use that one with out opening any holes.
Does that help?
Mike

ATXtennisaddict
09-13-2006, 08:16 PM
Wait, with 2 piece there should be 2 tie crosses. One at beginning and one at the end.

Any ideas for each?

dancraig
09-13-2006, 08:16 PM
___sorry___

dancraig
09-13-2006, 08:18 PM
At the top, tie off on the nearest available enlarged grommet.

ATXtennisaddict
09-13-2006, 08:28 PM
First of all,I'm gonna assume I am gonna go from bottom to up right?

BTW, what's the point of showing me Pure Drive? It doesn't give me the info.

anyway, 8B seems to have a grommet big enough to fit 2 strings...I'll tell you all how I did it:

Tied off at 7B...first cross started on 8B.

ATXtennisaddict
09-13-2006, 08:28 PM
At the top, tie off on the nearest available enlarged grommet.

That's probably what I'll have to end up doing...if only I can find this enlarged grommet...u said i might have to enlarge it myself. which tool? awl?

6T has a large grommet but it already has the tie off for the main.

dancraig
09-13-2006, 08:45 PM
Usually you would want to string the crosses from the top down. But if you can make it work out bottom up, go for it. Word is Babolat has no problem with bottom up crosses.
You can enlarge a grommet with a lubricated awl. It would be better if you didn't have to do that.

Mike Cottrill
09-13-2006, 08:46 PM
First of all,I'm gonna assume I am gonna go from bottom to up right?

BTW, what's the point of showing me Pure Drive? It doesn't give me the info.

anyway, 8B seems to have a grommet big enough to fit 2 strings...I'll tell you all how I did it:

Tied off at 7B...first cross started on 8B.

Not me, I go top down. Yea, I know they say you can go bottom up. You should see the large hole on the second to last cross hole (bottom).

dancraig
09-13-2006, 08:51 PM
Sorry, I posted the wrong link.

Richie Rich
09-13-2006, 08:55 PM
i wouldn't go bottom up on any frame, even if the manufacturer says you can. puts too much stress on the top of the frame. you're doing 2 peice so you have the luxury of doing this easily. one peice on the PC requires ATW.

dancraig
09-13-2006, 08:56 PM

Mike Cottrill
09-13-2006, 09:07 PM
http://www.babolat.com/upload/PURE_CONTROL_TEAM.pdf

I'm tired. Is this the stick your looking for? Anyway, if you way to bottom up, the open hole is 10 T I think. Check out the second page.

BTW, I still bot top down..

Mike Cottrill
09-13-2006, 09:11 PM
If you have a starting clamp, use it on the start cross and come back and tie if off if you want to go top down.

ATXtennisaddict
09-14-2006, 05:00 AM
i wouldn't go bottom up on any frame, even if the manufacturer says you can. puts too much stress on the top of the frame. you're doing 2 peice so you have the luxury of doing this easily. one peice on the PC requires ATW.

I always go top down on my other frames. Look at Pure Control's stringing instructions on klipper website. It gives specs to do it one-piece.

On other racquets, yea u're right. I always do 2-piece, top down. But this Pure Control is giving me fits.

thomas martinez
09-14-2006, 05:03 AM
Easiest way of doing it, and the most common way during tournaments and was ok'ed by VS North America, enlarge the hole at 7h and tie off there.

ATXtennisaddict
09-14-2006, 05:04 AM
Not me, I go top down. Yea, I know they say you can go bottom up. You should see the large hole on the second to last cross hole (bottom).

I see lots of holes but they don't allow me to fit a string in because my strings don't end there (i went bottom to top). Anyway, assuming I took out the string and started top to bottom. It seems like there aren't appropriate holes where I can do 2-piece. I've strung my POGs and NCodes, I know there usually is a hole where I can tie off (very close to Start Cross hole).

Unless I tied my mains off in the wrong holes...

Mike Cottrill
09-14-2006, 07:26 AM
I see lots of holes but they don't allow me to fit a string in because my strings don't end there (i went bottom to top). Anyway, assuming I took out the string and started top to bottom. It seems like there aren't appropriate holes where I can do 2-piece. I've strung my POGs and NCodes, I know there usually is a hole where I can tie off (very close to Start Cross hole).

Unless I tied my mains off in the wrong holes...

Did you see the link to the pdf I posted? The start (for top down)/tie off (bottom up) hole will be a cross gromment hole. No need to open a gromment. However, if you go top down, you will have to use a starting clamp because there is no string to tie to until you get past the second cross on the top. If you go bottom up, this is not an issue. Was that cross hole on the second cross not bigger?
Thanks
Mike

ATXtennisaddict
09-14-2006, 07:43 AM
Did you see the link to the pdf I posted? The start (for top down)/tie off (bottom up) hole will be a cross gromment hole. No need to open a gromment. However, if you go top down, you will have to use a starting clamp because there is no string to tie to until you get past the second cross on the top. If you go bottom up, this is not an issue. Was that cross hole on the second cross not bigger?
Thanks
Mike

i'll check out the pdf when i get home from work. doesn't seem to wanna open here at work.

Mike Cottrill
09-14-2006, 08:27 AM
http://www.******************.com/component/option,com_gallery2/Itemid,99/?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=636&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=dc545aec3aad7b57b145b7008afeaec6

A picture worth than more than words.. See the starting clamp? Robbie is going top down.

Why did they do that. uggg. It is a picture.. Replace the *** with grand slam stringers

tennisdarren
09-14-2006, 10:22 AM
Easiest way of doing it, and the most common way during tournaments and was ok'ed by VS North America, enlarge the hole at 7h and tie off there.

I do several pure controls a week and that is how I do them.

Trust Thomas Martinez

Mike Cottrill
09-14-2006, 10:36 AM
I do several pure controls a week and that is how I do them.

Trust Thomas Martinez

Why do you do this? Sure it is acceptable, but what are your reasons? Most will use a starting clamp. If you use a statring clamp, no need to open 7H. I don't think Grant Morgan opens a hole??

Mike

tennisdarren
09-14-2006, 10:49 AM
I use to do 1 piece exclusively for the PC, but when Babolat US sent the message that you could do 2 piece like that, I tried it and found that it provides a much nicer and professional looking job than the other method. I have several customers that want hybrid stringing in their Babolat frames and with the ok by the manufacturer i am now happy to oblige. Not that the other method dosen't work or is a bad way to do it I just prefer the finished result of my way.

ATXtennisaddict
09-14-2006, 08:35 PM

I have absolutely no clue whatsoever on how to enlarge the grommet hole. By 7h, u mean 7 Top ? Reason I want to do this way (as opposed to the other ways mentioned by other TWers) is because I am 99% done stringing before I encountered my problem. I just gotta tie off at the top, and if I can do it 7T, then that's what I wanna do. That would be the 1%.

tennisdarren
09-15-2006, 04:39 AM
I use a blunt tip waxed awl that is slightly bigger than the 7H grommet, yes the H is the top, I gently insert it from the outside going in and work it till the hole is sufficent to accept the tip of the cross string for my tie off, which I sharpen to a tip with a razor blade. ATX I would suggest that you tie off at the top and work toward the bottom.

OccasionalTennis
09-15-2006, 11:15 AM
I string these two-piece and top down almost weekly. Never had to enlarge a grommet for a not too. Hopefully this'll help you out in the future.

Once you've finished tightening the mains (no knots yet), you weave the first cross.
[at this point the racquet will have these features:
-two dangling mains, awaiting knotting
-the first weaved cross at the top of the hoop]

Making the Starting knot (at the grommet meant for knots) for the CROSS string and pull the tension. While the tensioner is holding that first cross tight, knot the mains onto that cross string.
It should look really clean since the mains come out of the neighboring grommets of the first cross string.

So the finished job would have the two main knots at the 8th grommet and the cross knot at the 6th.

If this is still confusing, then email me and I'll send you some pictures of what I'm talking about.