PDA

View Full Version : Racquet for my 13 year old sister

dannyjjang
09-13-2006, 10:05 PM
Hey my sister played some tennis in a minor camp "mIINOOORRrr'
those kiddy tennis camp
well i asked her if she wanted to dedicate herself to tennis
i said it as a joke and she replied "sure"

so im going to teach her little basics and look for a coach for her.

and im wondering what racquet i should get her because im not sure if she is fit for a junior racquet or an adult racquet.
she said she wants pog the racquet im currently using but i know thats too heavy fer her...
she has a big hand about 8 inch
well recommend me some tensions string yatyataa

i regret not playing tennis in my younger days...so im making sure she won't regret...

anirut
09-13-2006, 10:21 PM
How tall is she?

I'd suggest that, with her standing straight, get a racket that when placed perpendicular to ground, the racket butt does not get pass the middle of her palm.

Or, if she's more than 5' tall, she can handle a regular 27" racket.

Since she's new to the game, you don't have to go all out for the finest racket or strings available. What you have to make sure is that she learns it correctly from a good teacher who really knows the real basics.

Who knows, she may become another JHH -- ability-wise, of course.

(I like JHH style and ability in tennis, but not her attitude.)

dannyjjang
09-14-2006, 09:17 PM
bumppp

any suggestions?

anirut
09-15-2006, 12:18 AM
What'd you mean -- bumppp?

No one can suggest anything if you don't give enough info, damn it! I asked for her height and you didn't even care to answer.

Then, just get her the Federer's nCode Tour 90! And expect her to become "a great"! Or get her the Head AirFlow ... it's designed specifically for females.

spaceman_spiff
09-15-2006, 01:57 AM
Why don't you let her try hitting with your POG for a bit to see if the weight is too much for her. My friend's young son (about 8 yo) actually hits better with an old ProStaff Classic I gave to him than he does with his junior racket. After a while, the weight tires him out a bit, so he sometimes switches to his junior racket later, but he usually starts with the ProStaff.

dannyjjang
09-15-2006, 10:02 PM
What'd you mean -- bumppp?

No one can suggest anything if you don't give enough info, damn it! I asked for her height and you didn't even care to answer.

Then, just get her the Federer's nCode Tour 90! And expect her to become "a great"! Or get her the Head AirFlow ... it's designed specifically for females.
im so sorry she is 5'2 yesss

dannyjjang
09-15-2006, 10:03 PM
Why don't you let her try hitting with your POG for a bit to see if the weight is too much for her. My friend's young son (about 8 yo) actually hits better with an old ProStaff Classic I gave to him than he does with his junior racket. After a while, the weight tires him out a bit, so he sometimes switches to his junior racket later, but he usually starts with the ProStaff.
wow use prostaff?
thats even hard for me to handel

anirut
09-15-2006, 11:26 PM
Danny,

I have no idea about modern-style rackets, but for her height she can handle a standard 27" racket.

Get her something light, forgiving and low-cost to learn with. Investing in a good teaching pro is way better than investing in an expensive racket. If she's getting serious about the game, don't forget a little of weight training and lots of aerobics & running/jocking.

Hope this helps.

oncourt
09-16-2006, 05:32 AM
I'm a just turned fourteen year old girl and have come up the ranks since I was about 10. My suggestion would be the Babolat Pure Drive-you can buy them new and there are also plenty of used ones out there too. A Wilson would also be a good choice a lot of the girls are using the orange n tour. Either of these racquets will help her game along. At this stage I would not recommend something too heavy or too light (no junior racquets). The two racquets I mentioned the Babolat and the Wilson will give her enough pop and success to keep her wanting to play.At the last supernational tournament most of the girls were using either the Pure Drive Babolat or some form of Wilson with a few Prince's thrown in. If you want her to keep with this you need a racquet that will give her some success at the beginning. I am now a high ranked junior and can play with a different type of racquet but she's not there yet. The racquets I played with were Babolat Pure Drive 2 yrs, Yonex RDX 300 2yrs and now Technifibre 335. I used Alu Luxilon strung at 58 in the Babolat and NXT (which she might prefer better at this stage) strung at 60 in
the yonex.I am currently using ALU in theTechnifibre. I am 5' 4" and weigh 90 lbs. Height does not make as much difference as strength. A coach helps but what will help her the most now is hitting as many balls as possible which if you are willing you can feed to her. Just make sure she uses the correct stroke. I think they say you must hit 10,000 balls before you become good and based on my experience I believe this to be true.You are a great brother to help her out and this is a wonderful game so good luck!

hgb765
09-16-2006, 07:29 AM
get her a nsix two
or an nfury (i'm currently using)
or the ntour
btw i'm 15, 5"3

Coach Reed
09-16-2006, 01:42 PM
Many young ladys play with the Babolat Pure drive Team Standard because:
*It has a low swingweight making it maneuverable.
*The 100 sguare inch head has a big sweetspot but is not so big it's unmaneuverable.
*The 11.0 oz static weight is manageble if you are generating the proper strokes (it doesn't take a lot of strength).
*It is very stiff, but due to the open string pattern you can still control the ball.

The racquet's "specs" and aerodynamic performance are why you see so many young ladies in this age group using them.

If that racquet is too heavy for her, you might try the ntour two. It replaced the ntour and is available in 95 and 105 square inch heads. I would try them both (the 95 & 105). These are great racquets too, and are a little lighter and more flexible than the Babolat.

If the Babolat weight is manageable another excellent racquet is the Prince O3 White (the one Sharapova is currently using). It is a little heavier than the Babolat, but is an awesome racquet if she is strong, tall and/or athletic and can handle the weight. Good luck big bro!
______________-__
USPTA, USRSA MRT

dannyjjang
09-16-2006, 08:58 PM
Danny,

I have no idea about modern-style rackets, but for her height she can handle a standard 27" racket.

Get her something light, forgiving and low-cost to learn with. Investing in a good teaching pro is way better than investing in an expensive racket. If she's getting serious about the game, don't forget a little of weight training and lots of aerobics & running/jocking.

Hope this helps.
i probably cant get her a good coach cuse our family aren't financially fitting to that standard.
Im even afraid to ask my mom for my private lesson. But we can at least send her to the group tennis and i will hit with her in spare time plus i bought 100 used balls from ford oliver so i'll work on my serves and hit with her in same time. Killing two birds in one stone

plusssss what grip size should i get for her?
cuse i personally believe smaller grips works better altho i use 4 1/2 being 5'9(i was a tennis nub..and the shop forced me to get teh standard grip size for me)

nViATi
09-16-2006, 09:20 PM
How would we know? ;) Go ask her!

dannyjjang
09-16-2006, 10:41 PM
How would we know? ;) Go ask her!
Ya thx alot!!

Steve Huff
09-16-2006, 10:58 PM
My son began using a Bandit MP at about 10 yrs old. It's 27" long, you can get it in small hand sizes, and it's cheap now--around $50. I think staying with a racket no more than 27" is the best move.

anirut
09-17-2006, 01:20 AM
i probably cant get her a good coach cuse our family aren't financially fitting to that standard.
Im even afraid to ask my mom for my private lesson. But we can at least send her to the group tennis and i will hit with her in spare time plus i bought 100 used balls from ford oliver so i'll work on my serves and hit with her in same time. Killing two birds in one stone

cuse i personally believe smaller grips works better altho i use 4 1/2 being 5'9(i was a tennis nub..and the shop forced me to get teh standard grip size for me)

Hi there,

As for the grip, I can't tell. You'll have to have her hold the grip to see what's her most comfortable size. You can learn from TW learning center too about choosing the grip size.

Now, for the racket, I may be against many here, but I think you should get her a racket that will teach her proper strokes. Not something that's all low power but something that will force her to learn to hit "through the ball" instead of the wicked, joint-straining, wiper-style "brushing up". -- I'm serious.

Remember, in the old days rackets weren't categorized. They were all heavy. Look at Martina Navratilova. If you learn it right you can play the game well way into old age. I don't mean you must get her a "really heavy" racket. Get her something "with enough heft" that she can handle. And a racket with enough heft will help her learn good strokes.

No teacher? Hit the wall.

Teach your sister the proper strokes and let her keep repeating that same strokes against the wall. One good thing with the wall is you can learn with one ball until it breaks -- the wall will always return the ball to you ... in various unexpected directions ... :)

Hope this helps somewhat. I'd be glad to help.

dave333
09-17-2006, 05:26 AM
give her adult. i was using adult racquets at 4 feet 8 inches, no prob. there are kids at my camp that are 4 feet and use adult racquets. My 13 year old sister is 4 feet 11 and using a hyper hammer 6.

Tikiman53
09-17-2006, 07:57 AM
Do NOT get her a junior racquet! She'll probably be happier with an "adult" racquet. I mean, I wouldn't feel good if someone told me to play with a JUNIOR racquet. Just an ego thing.

Hmmm... I'd suggest maybe an RQS-11? It's not too heavy, but it's not super light either. I wouldn't suggest getting one of those 9 oz head heavy racquets even if she's a beginner. Maybe she wouldn't mind using a Dunlop M-fil 300? Or are you thinking more of an OS?

oncourt
09-17-2006, 12:40 PM
If you decide to go with a racquet like the Babolat (which she can play with for many years) go with either the 4 1/4 grip or the 4 3/8 grip. The Babs
have a tendency to run big so the 4 1/4 grip is good for me and I am 14.
Later, if you need a little larger grip you can always use overgrip tape on the handle. Just an aside, today I went to a tournament full of 12's, 14's.16's
and 18's and on almost every court and there were 20 courts there was a Babolat. Also go to the library get a book on tennis this should help you with her strokes. There are also lots of used Babs for sale if you can't afford a new one. Hope this helps!

Coach Reed
09-18-2006, 04:46 PM
The Babs have a tendency to run big so the 4 1/4 grip is good for me and I am 14. Later, if you need a little larger grip you can always use overgrip tape on the handle.

As oncourt said, Babolat grips DO run a little big. Checkout the link below and have her practice hitting against the wall as anirut says.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/Gripsize/Gripsize.html

Lessons can only give you so much. If she gets the basics out of a group session, the wall is ideal for practice. If she wants to learn more,
you will find a way...there are some great DVDs on the TW site too like:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageAVERY-CTW1DVD.html

I gave this one to some players who wanted to make the JV team (but needed follow up instruction) at the high school where I coach, and it really helped them.

Best of luck

spaceman_spiff
09-19-2006, 12:58 AM
wow use prostaff?
thats even hard for me to handel

Yeah, I strung it really low to add a bit of power for him, but I think the plow-through factor is what does it for him. He can get the racket swinging, but he doesn't have the forearm strength to force a light racket through the ball. However, once you get a heavy racket going, it carries itself through the ball, which is why I think it's better for him. Your sister might have similar results with the POG.

dannyjjang
09-19-2006, 04:24 PM
thx guys now im just searching up **** to get the best result