PDA

View Full Version : Kneeling down to hit a shot?

EuroMagnum
09-14-2006, 02:40 AM
I've seen this down quite a bit in the pro tour, i'll use a Nadal instance as an example: he was returning a deep shot and to get to the level of the ball he actually squat down really quickly and hit it then shot back up. Does this happen very often, like is it a useful shot? It just seems to me that it would be easier and just as effective to lower your racquet head slightly and brush up as you hit.

supersmash
09-14-2006, 05:22 AM
If you look at TENNIS Magazine (Agassi tribute cover), there is an article explaining Federer's backhand. The ball is quite low, so he has to bend lower. His left knee is only inches above the ground.

Bagumbawalla
09-14-2006, 08:14 AM
There are many ways to get a low, fast, unexpectedly deep ball back. The basic answer i s to do whatever it takes and to the best of your ability.

I try get down low and hit with as nornal a stroke as possible, under the circumstances.

But, you can scoop, shovel, half volley, loop your stroke down and up, poke at it, whatever-- but if you don't get it back, somehow, the point ends there.

mahouFuji
09-14-2006, 09:49 PM
the lower u bend the more power u get u get power from ur legs

AngeloDS
09-14-2006, 11:56 PM
It helps also with balance, the lower you are the more balanced you can be. The more balanced you are, the better the transfer of energy between your body and the ball. Also helps with stability.

A lot of people tend to lean back or fall back into their shots and the transfer of energy is wasted leaving a ball that doesn't have much to it other than maybe spin.

But you need to pick and choose also, there are shots where you bend your knees and shots where you don't. And don't bend your knees the same exact way for each ball. Lower balls = more knee bend and getting lower, medium = medium knee bend etc. I see too many people taking it as is and trying to bend really low on every shot lol.