PDA

View Full Version : Yonex RDS 003 and RDX 300?

TripleB
09-14-2006, 05:57 AM
In my search for a 27" version of my Yonex Nano Speed RQ7, someone here recommended the Yonex RDS 003. At the time I didn't give it much thought because it was 27.25" and I was trying to get down to 27".

After looking at the specs a little closer, it does look like a very appealing racquet. Same head size as my NSRQ7, a little heavier, 3 points lower swing weight, a little wider beam, .25" shorter, and probably a little more power (which is always appreciated...especially on my serve). According to the specs it seems to be the NSRQ7 with a little more power?

While looking at the 27.25" racquets I also came across the RDX 300, however the specs don't look quite as good as those of the RDS 003...actually the only thing that is a concern is the extra stiffness the RDX brings.

Can anyone please give me your opinions/thoughts/experiences with either (or both) of these racquets?

I own the Yonex Nano Speed RQ7 as well as the Yonex RDX 500 Midplus so any comparisons to those two racquets would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

TripleB

PS: thanks to the person who told me about the RDS 003.

backcourt
09-14-2006, 06:34 AM
Hi Triple B. I've been playing with the predecesor to the the rdx 300 and 003, the mp 3i, for several years, so I've tried both sticks; but aside from them both being more forgiving with their larger heads and sweetspots, I have stayed with my 3is.

003- great for sliced backhands, and very solid on volleys; I just couldn't get much topspin on my forehand or kick on my serve, which I attribute to its higher swingweight. I think the 4 5/8 I had swung around 320. If I hit a flat ball forehand I would have liked it better. It was good for a flat serve, but that is not my strength. That said, there are other players on this board who love this stick for serving, and probably for forehands, so I think you'll need to demo.

RDX 300. I only hit with it once and it was a 3/8 demo which is a bit small for me; but I loved this racquet for whippy topspin forehand, and for kick on my serve. Where I found it lacking was in sliced backhands, which tended to float, and I couldn't get a lot of power on my serve. However, I dont feel one hitting session gave it a fair shake. I also owned an RDX 500 mp for a short while, which is not as powerful as the 300 98 ( no suprise there). LIke the 300, I was not able to get enough power on my serves with the 500 mp, but did get good kick. This racquet just didn't have enough pop for me, though I liked the feel alot.

Due to a history of shoulder problems, I too shy away form 27 1/2 racquets, but have not had problems with the above 27 1/4's.

I think both of these raquets are worth a demo.

TripleB
09-14-2006, 08:37 AM
Thanks backcourt...that info helps a great deal!!!

I know you said you shy away from 27.5" racquets but have you had the opportunity to try the Nano Speed RQ7? It's a really great feeling racquet with an excellent combination of power and control. It's just at times I find it's a little hard for me to get the racquet into the correct position for various shots. ie: I'm lazy and it won't let me get away with it!!!

Do you know if they are fazing out the RDX300? I notice that T-W only has 2 of the RDX300 racquets in stock (one 3/8" grip and one 5/8") and it doesn't give an arrival date of the other sizes.

Thanks again for the info.

TripleB

onkystomper
09-14-2006, 09:35 AM
The RDX 300 swings lighter and is far less hefty. THe stick just not feel as solid as the rds 003. It is a nice racket but out of the 2 i would go for the rds 003. VEry forgiving as well.

It has a larger sweetspot and really can plough through the ball. Using a semi to full western grip i had no issues with generating spin. Serves were much bigger with the rds 003 and even a sliced serve had lots of power and bite behind it.

The rdx 300 is being faded out over here. (UK) you can pick thm up for 1/2 price on lots of sites £60 or about $120.

Coria
09-14-2006, 10:26 AM
I did not like the RDS 003 at all. It did not feel very powerful and lacked the feel of the NSRQ-7. Very different composites. Not impressed by it at all.

FuriousYellow
09-14-2006, 11:01 AM
TripleB, Have you thought about just cutting your RQ7 down to 27"?

Shortening RQ7 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=91460&highlight=RQ7)

backcourt
09-14-2006, 11:25 AM
Thanks backcourt...that info helps a great deal!!!

I know you said you shy away from 27.5" racquets but have you had the opportunity to try the Nano Speed RQ7? It's a really great feeling racquet with an excellent combination of power and control. It's just at times I find it's a little hard for me to get the racquet into the correct position for various shots. ie: I'm lazy and it won't let me get away with it!!!

Do you know if they are fazing out the RDX300? I notice that T-W only has 2 of the RDX300 racquets in stock (one 3/8" grip and one 5/8") and it doesn't give an arrival date of the other sizes.

Thanks again for the info.

TripleB
I have been curious about the RQ 7, but my last 27 1/2, the MP Tour 5, and before that a Head Ti Fire Tour, both felt awkward lengthwise and the Head killed my shoulder.

I think they are fazing out the RDX 300; other than the rd 80, Yonex seems to discontinue its models pretty rapidly.

TripleB
09-14-2006, 11:33 AM
TripleB, Have you thought about just cutting your RQ7 down to 27"?

Shortening RQ7 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=91460&highlight=RQ7)

I had a racquet shortened from 27.5" to 27" once before and I could never get the butt of the racquet to my liking after it was cut down. The grip never felt right in my hand and after a while it became a mental thing to where every time I picked up the racquet all I could think about was how the grip felt. Since then I've shyed away from making major adjustments to a racquet.

TripleB

ajspurs
09-14-2006, 01:43 PM
Hiya, i dont know about the rds003, never played with it, but i own an rdx300 and i love it, just to say, if u demo it dont judge it by just one session, I found it really hard to get used to. My serves suffered in power but thats not because it couldnt produce that power. I have now changed my serving technique and my serves are a lot faster. Two handed backhand is a joy with this racket. The spin the racket creates keeps the ball low.

coolblue123
09-14-2006, 02:38 PM
Hi Triple B,

There are a couple of observations on RDS 003 here. I am playing with one right now. I say the primary reason to get a 003 is whether your game is focused on groundstrokes and flat serves. I found the racquet very stable but touch and feel aren't as good as the other racquets. It's pretty comfortable to hit w/ even on off-centered shots. So if your swing speed is medium and you have a short to medium swing length, it's worth taking a look at.

Here's the link:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=108205&page=3

Good luck and let us know your decision. Both the RDX and RDS are great racquets. Can't go wrong with either one.

tennisphotog
09-18-2006, 07:58 PM
I have found the 003 to be a nice stick, one of those racquets that excels at nothing in particular, but is a great all rounder. It has a nice feel in the hands, looks nice, has a nice weight balance, and produces ample spin. Volleys could be more solid, but I have hit drop shots with precision and consistently off short balls.