PDA

View Full Version : How long should I cut the string from a reel?

sw2ny888
09-14-2006, 07:44 AM
I have a wilson ps tour 90. Based on your experience, what is the minimum length of string I should cut from a reel of string? I need to send it out for a stringing job.

If hybrid, how long for mains and how long for crosses?

If one piece stringing, how long for both mains and crosses?

If I have two sets of strings, are they long enough for two hybrid string sets?

Thanks inadvance!

migjam
09-14-2006, 08:14 AM
It depends on the machine that it is being strung on and who is stringing it. But you should be able to go with 1 piece 34' or 2 piece 18' x 16'

flash9
09-15-2006, 07:27 AM
If I have two sets of strings, are they long enough for two hybrid string sets?

If you want to do a hybrid, and only want to give the stringer what he needs, then just measure the packaged sets and cut them in half. Half a package should be about 20 to 21 feet of string which as migjam has pointed out is plenty.

MTChong
09-15-2006, 09:21 AM
It depends on the machine that it is being strung on and who is stringing it. But you should be able to go with 1 piece 34' or 2 piece 18' x 16'

This will also depend on the string so be wary; there are some racquets I would not try stringing with 18' if the string isn't an elastic and stretchy string. Always keep in mind these three: Head size, string pattern, string elasticity.

Sebastien
09-15-2006, 09:36 AM
Here is what I have done:
Take a regular string (not a tennis string) and string your main yourself with no tension, just pull the string with your hands at the end. Once you have done the mains leave about 2 feet on each side (or enough for any machine to be able to grab the string in order to pull it), and cut the string each side. Remove the mains from your racket and do the same for the crosses.

You now have some samples you can put side to side when you are taking string from your reel.

This should take you about 10 min and you won't wast string from your reels.

It is a safe and conservative way because in reality your tennis string will be stretched so length will be ok.

Nuke
09-15-2006, 11:12 AM
Here is what I have done: Take a regular string (not a tennis string) and string ...
Some tennis strings stretch as you tension them, so this trick may make you cut a bit more than you really need, if you were trying get the most jobs out of a reel. You can save a bit more if you know you have a string that stretches a lot. But it's a good way to make sure you don't leave yourself too short.

Sebastien
09-15-2006, 12:07 PM
Some tennis strings stretch as you tension them, so this trick may make you cut a bit more than you really need, if you were trying get the most jobs out of a reel. You can save a bit more if you know you have a string that stretches a lot. But it's a good way to make sure you don't leave yourself too short.

You are right.
It depends on the string, may differ a lot between multi and poly.
I have to add that I adjusted the length after my first string job.
I cut my samples to the point I only had 1-2 inche going past my machine clamp. (only do that if you are stringing yourself ans know what you do)

I was able to save 1 string job on my reel that way.

uovagabond
09-15-2006, 08:32 PM
definitely do not cut the lengths required in the headsize as this wont be enough to pull the last string at the end. i just measure about a 2 feet more than the string pattern size. i use a 18x20 pattern so i measure about 20x22. i have a reel of BB ALU and string my own sticks and this has been a pretty reliable method. if you use a stretchy syn gut like say NXT then you will always have more left over due to the string stretching.

Richie Rich
09-16-2006, 03:43 AM
HOnce you have done the mains leave about 2 feet on each side (or enough for any machine to be able to grab the string in order to pull it), and cut the string each side.
you can do with less than 2 feet to save even more string. take 1 ft of old string (doesn't have to be tennis string) that you have lying around. put it through the holes in your starting clamp. when you string your last main and only have a few inches of string to pull you can attach the starting clamp to the string and feed the old string (what you have fed through the starting clamp holes) into the tension head and tension the last main. clamp it off and tie it off.

that's about 2-3 feet a string job saved which is enough to get you another set of mains out of a reel.

Coach Reed
09-16-2006, 10:13 AM

I agree with this statement. Half sets are packaged in 20' lengths, but 1 piece 34' or 2 piece 18' x 16' is all you need for a tour 90 (as long as the stringer leaves only about 3" extra for each tie off knot). Kevlar might not be a good recommendation for this due to its minute elongation, but most other types of string (synthetic multifilament, nylon, and polyester) will elongate sufficiently.
NEOS 1000

Jonny S&V
09-17-2006, 06:55 AM
Under 100 sq. inches: 20 feet both (mains and crosses, keep it simple)
Over 100 sq. inches: 22 feet both (again, keep it simple)
If you buy a 2 660' reel, one for 100 sq. in. and under and one for over 100 sq. in. (this is what I do), then:
40 = 16 1/2 string sets and 44 = 15 string sets
This way, your not going to have 7 feet of string that is useless because you went strictly by the book. If your stringing something really, REALLY big (gamma big bubba anyone?), go by the book however. Hope this made sense!