PDA

View Full Version : Ball Machine speed - 95mph

mistral
09-14-2006, 07:09 AM
I have narrowed the choices for a ball machine down to Tennis Tutor Plus and Silent Partner Pro. TT has max speed of 85 mph, and SP 95 mph.

I was told by SP customer service that very few people use a speed that high. If that's the case, what is the purpose? Does anyone have any experience with 95 mph and heavy spin setting on the SP? How about 85mph?

Thanks,
Matt

mistral
09-14-2006, 10:24 AM
I called mastersports for SAM Professional Portable Models 4's speed, and I was told that under very ideal conditions, it's 70-75 mph. (Their website says 75mph/140kmh even though 140kmh is about 85 mph).

Can Tennis Tutor Pro go up to 80-85 mph, and Silent Partner up to 90-95 mph as they claim? Is there a drop in top speed after being used for a while?

Thanks.

Tchocky
09-14-2006, 10:36 AM
I have a Silent Partner Pro. I have tried hitting balls at top speed and it is very challenging. I haven't tested the speed with a speed clock so I can't say with complete accuracy that it shoots balls that fast. It's highly unlikely you will ever face a player who can consistently hit the ball with these kinds of speed.

mistral
09-14-2006, 10:57 AM
Hi Tchocky,

Thanks for the reply.

Have you tried topspin at those speeds? Does it slow it down a lot? How about the wear on the balls?

BTW, is the Silent Pro constructed well?

Thanks a lot,
Matt

Mr. Blond
09-14-2006, 11:30 AM
Mistral,

I own the SP Pro, and the machine is really nice. I owned a lobster before this one, and it is far superior. The 95mph setting is not really 95 as far as I can tell. I have never put a radar on it, but I feel it may be a bit under. No worries though, the machine at full spin and full pace is incredible. The sweep function is really nice also. It is a good purchase for the price. Mine is about 6 months old, and I use it 3 days a week for about 4 hours each time with my tennis team.

varuscelli
09-14-2006, 04:06 PM
I was told by SP customer service that very few people use a speed that high. If that's the case, what is the purpose?

It falls under "the right of the people to keep and bear arms." (Second Amendment to the US Constitution.)

Not all that useful on the court, but great for defending home and property.

I've got an SP Pro, and when they take it from me, they'll pry it from my cold, dead hands. Or am I thinking about my racquet? :confused:

deluxe
09-15-2006, 05:08 AM
I own the SP Pro, and the machine is really nice. I owned a lobster before this one, and it is far superior.

Do you mean the SP Pro is far superior to the lobster, or the lobser is far superior to the SP Pro?

cmanxx
09-15-2006, 10:23 AM
I dont really have the experience to judge as im a beginner, but i'd be skeptical about the ability of the SP to deliver 95mph and still keep it in the court. From the pictures on their site the ball appears to release from a height only about midway up your shins. To release it 95mph get it over the net and land in the court would probably require an insane amount of spin. I know pros can do it but I dont think they hit it that fast when the ball is down around their shins.

varuscelli
09-15-2006, 10:46 AM
I dont really have the experience to judge as im a beginner, but i'd be skeptical about the ability of the SP to deliver 95mph and still keep it in the court. From the pictures on their site the ball appears to release from a height only about midway up your shins. To release it 95mph get it over the net and land in the court would probably require an insane amount of spin. I know pros can do it but I dont think they hit it that fast when the ball is down around their shins.

I haven't tried mine at anything near full speed, but some things that I have read about ball machines in general lead me to believe that to use the highest speed settings the machine might have to be elevated (via table or other elevation device). Shooting it from ground level at highest speeds would likely result in balls going into the back fence before hitting the ground. But I haven't confirmed this by trying it.

BUT...the way these machines impart spin onto a tennis ball is likely beyond what a human being could do when you look at the mechanics of how the rotating wheels work. That's just my guess, but still . . . maybe if you combined the top speed of the machine and a high spin rate, you actually could make the ball land in the court when the machine is positioned at ground level. (Still haven't tried it, though.)

cmanxx
09-15-2006, 10:58 AM
lol, make sure you use a HEAVY table if you are gonna try that

varuscelli
09-15-2006, 11:14 AM
lol, make sure you use a HEAVY table if you are gonna try that

Hey, I might be mistaken but when I was doing my research on tennis ball machines, I'm pretty sure I read about some kind of elevation table that was used for that specific purpose (perhaps related to a specific brand of ball machine, I dunno).

I'm not talking about the folding card table out of the hall closet or anything... ;)