PDA

View Full Version : which is better, 1hbh or 2hbh

raiden031
09-14-2006, 09:26 AM
I can do both farely well, but I have a tendency to do a 2 hander when i'm energized and a 1 hander when I'm feeling tired. If I'm going to choose one over the other, I'd like to consciously remove the other from my game until it becomes instinct. Any suggestions on which one is better in the long run? Don't say whichever is more comfortable because I'm interested in becoming the best player I can, not in staying at a plateau forever.

Geezer Guy
09-14-2006, 09:44 AM
The best players in the world use a one-handed backhand.
But, there are some pretty good players that use 2.

It might be easier to learn a 2hbh quickly, but I'd say the 1hbh is better in the long run.

I predict the next person to reply will disagree.

brucie
09-14-2006, 09:58 AM
Its really about preference! I cant tell you! I prefer 2 for consistancy and stability imho. I love the feel of 1 and the power and angles but its complicated easily goes wrong for me and im slow to executer 1 so i stick to 2. In the long run though if both are equal, id prefer 1 aestheticially and in terms of reach ease of power and angles.

jasonbourne
09-14-2006, 10:03 AM
I suggest 1hbh, considering the best men/women pros in the past eras used a 1hbh. This provided them more versatility and ability to play all-court if they had to. You will likely be able to volley on your bh side better too.

quest01
09-14-2006, 10:58 AM
I prefer a 2 hander because im a lot more consistent with it. I would have to say the 2 hander is the better backhand. Seems like a lot of 1 handers are a little more inconsistent and they try to run around there backhand more then someone with a 2 hander.

MasterTS
09-14-2006, 11:18 AM
Isn't it obvious.

1hb is for good players and 2hb is for the wannabees!

ATXtennisaddict
09-14-2006, 01:16 PM
I made the switch 2 days ago. From now on it's 1hbh because I generate a lot more spin and velocity.

horridvolley
09-14-2006, 01:43 PM
i like 1-hand for the reach, angles and most importantly, style. There's no problem hitting "high" balls if you move in and take them before they get that high anyways.

Chang
09-15-2006, 01:18 AM
1 hand. 2 hand feels sluggish and unweildy for me so I use 1 hand because I'm more comfortable with it.

LoneGun
09-15-2006, 01:33 AM
Here's how I feel about both

1HBH

Positives:
- Swings feel more natural
- Better reach
- good at getting low balls
- good for serve and volley players as well as baseliners
- high versatility
- able to generate more power from the longer swings
- looks better

Negatives
- need good timing and longer preparation
- hard to return high top spin balls

2HBH

Positive:
- shorter swing
- timing is not as important
- good for baseliners
- good at getting high topspin balls
- more consistent and good for high percentage tennis

Negatives:
- need good footwork because of the shorter reach
- hard and tiring to return low bouncing balls

Hope these help :)

FH2FH
09-15-2006, 07:42 AM
All great advice/info, especially the last post.

My suggestion: stick to the one which produces results; winning is better than losing. Last year my 2H was the "weaker" shot, but I doubled my wins because it was much more consistent. I didn't expect that to happen. I was a 3.0, now closer to 3.5 just because of that change.

I would also suggest 2H to more beginning to intermediate players b/c of the control and ease of use. A one hander may produce tennis "Greats", but do you have the time/money/will to become one?

harryz
09-15-2006, 08:05 AM
kids may need the second hand for extra strength and then keep it, like Borg, Connors, Evert, Agassi and so many since. Sampras started with a two-hander and switched as a young teenager since he recognized the many advantages of 1H BH. Some pros can alternate and hit great 2H and 1H BH. Aesthetically, I prefer the 1H BH. For many people, the 2H makes more sense, though. What's better, round or square?

isuk@tennis
09-15-2006, 07:35 PM
What's better, round or square?

round cuz you can't make a wheel out of a square :D

300Gkid
09-15-2006, 07:43 PM
well IMO its good to use both, i use my 2-hander for a "rally ball" but use a 1-hander for shots i have to reach for, slice shots and to get angles coming into net

nalbandian_fan
09-15-2006, 08:33 PM
Here's how I feel about both

1HBH

Positives:
- Swings feel more natural
- Better reach
- good at getting low balls
- good for serve and volley players as well as baseliners
- high versatility
- able to generate more power from the longer swings
- looks better

Negatives
- need good timing and longer preparation
- hard to return high top spin balls

2HBH

Positive:
- shorter swing
- timing is not as important
- good for baseliners
- good at getting high topspin balls
- more consistent and good for high percentage tennis

Negatives:
- need good footwork because of the shorter reach
- hard and tiring to return low bouncing balls

Hope these help :)

Those two negatives that I made bold are probably the main long term differences between the 1hbh and the 2hbh. Footwork, timing, and preparation are all things that you can work on and improve over time.

The 1hbh is much better for low bouncing balls and the 2hbh is much better for high bouncing balls. You will see many players with 2hbh resorting to 1 handed slices on the low bouncing balls, and many players with 1hbh running to the back screen to return the high bouncing topspin balls. Very few elite players can learn how to hit a high 1hbh(federer), and few players can learn to hit a low 2hbh(nadal/nalbandian). So you need to make a decision of which weakness will be less weak... slicing low bouncing balls or running to the back screen to hit high bouncing balls.

Mark S. Hogan
09-15-2006, 08:51 PM
Most people would be better off learning a 2 handed back hand. The average human doesn't have the strength or timing to hit a one handed topspin well.

elee3
09-16-2006, 05:03 PM
Most people would be better off learning a 2 handed back hand. The average human doesn't have the strength or timing to hit a one handed topspin well.

Totally agree with that, I use to use a 1hbh back for a period in high school. Way too hard to receive good serves with a topspin 1hbh, would have to use slice. Very easy to receive serves with a 2hbh. 1hbh demands perfection.

quest01
09-16-2006, 06:16 PM
Why do a lot of people around 55 or older use a 1 handed backhand instead of a 2 hander?

calabi12
09-16-2006, 06:37 PM
Because 1hb was more common in the old days.

Guys, it is all about personal preference. I use the 1hb because I am compact and I felt the 2hb restricted my movement.

Mark S. Hogan
09-16-2006, 06:52 PM
Right, we almost all hit a one handed backhand. Conners was a turning point. I'm seeing a lot more one handed in the pros again. The Edberg/Sampras effect I think.

AngeloDS
09-16-2006, 07:04 PM
Neither is better than the other since there's positives and negatives as pointed out. I use a one handed backhand for a few reasons; one to save my knees, it came naturally to me and other reasons.

Both have variety; Federer (1hbh) and Murray (2hbh). Both have power as well. But when it comes down to it. Consistency is a hard thing to overcome with the one handed backhand compared to the two handed backhand. Especially where a lot of people reside 3.0-4.0 level, consistency is key.

Tennis is really about placement and consistency. A lot of people *can* hit one handed backhands but not consistently along with having a great deal of control & placement.

Zets147
09-16-2006, 07:07 PM
GET A 2HFH with your BRAND NEW 2HBH!

Amone
09-16-2006, 07:16 PM
GET A 2HFH with your BRAND NEW 2HBH!
You know, I agree, and yet disagree with you. I will never fully give up my two-handed forehand. It will always, as long as I play, be something I'll use when I need the utmost in consistency, and when I need to warm up my [contintal-eastern] forehand.

My advice is this: I play a serve-and-volley game (on first serves, and opponent's second serves) but I hit with a two-hander on the backhand. It's more consistent, and if I need that winner, I can usually force the reply I want by muscling it, an advantage that I don't get with my old one-hander. So you can choose a one-hander, for all the reasons that people listed, but my reasons are consistency and power.

Zets147
09-16-2006, 10:10 PM
The reason I posted the 2HFH was because I saw 2 girl college players played with 2HFH's on adjacent courts. I believe it was a Baylor vs. Rice match. I don't know which team was which since I am a freshman, but they were hitting pretty well.

Also, I want to learn to hit a 2HBH for returns, but I've never learned how to hit a 2HBH before, so I usually block back with my one-hander or slice it deep..sometimes I go for a full swing for a winner (only on weak second serves though).

FH2FH
09-18-2006, 06:25 AM
Older "club" players probably still use the 1H BH because of their lack of flexibility and/or extended reach. To get the most out of a 2H it's ideal to be flexible so you can accelerate the head quickly (hips & shoulders). The reach on a 1H is also slightly better because one hand is off the handle. A 2H will need better footwork to get the ball in their strikezone, which many seniors will lack (footspeed).

I agree with everyone who says a 2H is easier to learn and become efficient with over the 1H. I personally would recommend it unless you're talking about someone who will either not expect great results OR will have the resources available (coaching/time/money) to get the most out of a 1H. I don't see that anyone can argue that a 2H is more consistent. There are many, many more framed/mishit balls for 1H pros, not to mention club players.