PDA

View Full Version : Help on the length of pog

gt3rs_996
09-14-2006, 09:10 AM
Hi,

Recently I came across a pog midsize, pretty cheap too. From what I was told, it was the earlier and better version that was made in Taiwan. It was brand new and everything was good, it also came with a prince leather grip. However, I "accidently" placed it beside some standard length rackets and was surprised to find that it was a little longer! After careful measuring, it is .4 inch longer than the standard 27inch that is stated on the TW page.
So I am puzzled. First, is this extra length affect the playability of the racket? As in, is this one going to play like most or the average pog mid out there?
Second, is this pog a fake? Or just some racket that was not supposed to be on the market but eventually did?
Last, should I get this racket or not? I guess this is the most important question.

So, please! Any pog or racket expert out there help me out here!
Thanks in advance!

diredesire
09-14-2006, 10:02 AM
Hi,

Recently I came across a pog midsize, pretty cheap too. From what I was told, it was the earlier and better version that was made in Taiwan. It was brand new and everything was good, it also came with a prince leather grip. However, I "accidently" placed it beside some standard length rackets and was surprised to find that it was a little longer! After careful measuring, it is .4 inch longer than the standard 27inch that is stated on the TW page.
So I am puzzled. First, is this extra length affect the playability of the racket? As in, is this one going to play like most or the average pog mid out there?
Second, is this pog a fake? Or just some racket that was not supposed to be on the market but eventually did?
Last, should I get this racket or not? I guess this is the most important question.

So, please! Any pog or racket expert out there help me out here!
Thanks in advance!

Did the head stretch out? .4" is fairly significant. If your "standard" racquet shrunk .2" (reasonable), and the POG Mid "grew" .2", it's possible. I doubt it's a fake. There was the POG Long body that TW had a while back, but the owner would have had to re-size (cut down) the handle most likely. Just from your description, i'd have to say the head stretched a bit.

HodeClassicMP
09-14-2006, 11:16 AM
I just measured my 3 pogs mid, 2 are almost the same in length, the other 1 might be 2mm shorter. 2 mm, is not big deal, but 0.4 inch is huge difference. Are you sure your pog is the MID?

Big Fed
09-14-2006, 02:00 PM
Please what racket is a POG!

gt3rs_996
09-15-2006, 01:57 AM
Did the head stretch out? .4" is fairly significant. If your "standard" racquet shrunk .2" (reasonable), and the POG Mid "grew" .2", it's possible. I doubt it's a fake. There was the POG Long body that TW had a while back, but the owner would have had to re-size (cut down) the handle most likely. Just from your description, i'd have to say the head stretched a bit.

Stupid me. It was a typo. It's supposed to be 0.4 mm longer, NOT 0.4inches. So it's roughly 0.16 inches longer. Still, it's longer than the 0.2 mm that were stated here. Yet shorter than .2 inches. And it is a mid size/ midplus, definetly a 93 head not the long body. Plus it's brand new, I seriously doubt that the head stretched a bit.
Oh! And an idea just crossed my mind. Is it possible that the racket is brand new, never been strung before. Thus the racket is slightly longer than the 27 inch standard. So, if I string the racket, the tension force should "shrink" the racket back to standard? Am I on to something here? =P

If so, it still puzzles me that how come the manufacturer made the racket slightly longer than the 27" stated? Do they REALLY consider stringing would slightly shrink the racket? Or am I totally off, that stringing correctly would not have such a big effect on the racket?

Please help, thanks =)

Btw, pog= prince original graphite;)

gt3rs_996
09-15-2006, 02:07 AM
Oh, and I just weighed the racket. It's about 305g/10.7 oz unstrung. It is kinda light compared to the strung weight that TW provided. Even with strings and all, it would be hard to reach 12.1 oz. (just my guess) Please correct me if I'm wrong. Would this extra piece of information help identify if it's a fake?

ps This time, I'm pretty sure I have the weight correctly. It won't be like the last time, causing some confusion. ;)

diredesire
09-15-2006, 10:34 AM
Stupid me. It was a typo. It's supposed to be 0.4 mm longer, NOT 0.4inches. So it's roughly 0.16 inches longer. Still, it's longer than the 0.2 mm that were stated here. Yet shorter than .2 inches. And it is a mid size/ midplus, definetly a 93 head not the long body. Plus it's brand new, I seriously doubt that the head stretched a bit.
Oh! And an idea just crossed my mind. Is it possible that the racket is brand new, never been strung before. Thus the racket is slightly longer than the 27 inch standard. So, if I string the racket, the tension force should "shrink" the racket back to standard? Am I on to something here? =P

If so, it still puzzles me that how come the manufacturer made the racket slightly longer than the 27" stated? Do they REALLY consider stringing would slightly shrink the racket? Or am I totally off, that stringing correctly would not have such a big effect on the racket?

Please help, thanks =)

Btw, pog= prince original graphite;)

I think you mean .4cm ;D

As far as it being fake, it'd be the first time i've heard of a fake POG. 10.7 does seem a bit on the light side for an unstrung racquet. As far as the length of the racquet, a little long is probably within tolerance, and the head DOES shrink/round out a little bit, in my experience. Has this racquet been strung/factory strung at all? It's hard to say one way or the other without looking at the finish on the racquet, etc. Is the plastic still on the handle? Does the racquet have the prince calfskin on it?

shawn1122
09-15-2006, 04:47 PM
Please what racket is a POG!
Prince Original Graphite.

netman
09-15-2006, 04:50 PM
My mid-80's POG is 27 inches long. Dead on.

-k-

Big Fed
09-15-2006, 07:43 PM
Thank you shawn

mistapooh
09-15-2006, 07:50 PM
How many stripes does it have? Does it say mid on it? Count the strings yet?

hereiam
10-08-2006, 08:35 AM
Hi!

I also bought two POG from Taiwan. Still amazing with the weight is far below from TW's spec. My strung weight is only 315 g. TW's unstrung weight is 34x g.

Mine are fake or not?

hereiam
10-08-2006, 08:38 AM
Hi!

I also bought two POG from Taiwan. Still amazing with the weight is far below from TW's spec. My strung weight is only 315 g. TW's unstrung weight is 34x g.

Mine are fake or not?