PDA

View Full Version : How long does multis and polys last?

You cannot be serious !!!
09-14-2006, 06:13 PM
Just a general question for all you multi and poly users out there.

I am back playing after 15+ years of retirement - social competitive tennis level.

When I was at my peak at 15 years old a string would last ages, and I didn't change them when they lost that loving feelin.

Now I'm reading these posts and people are changing their strings after 1-2 matchs, or after a week of play.

I've ordered some strings but am i really expecting them to break after a week?

steve s
09-14-2006, 06:45 PM
I would start with the multi. Polys are much harder on the arm. Just order a few set and see how it goes. I don't think you can break strings in a week. May take you 3 months.

Lleytian3
09-14-2006, 06:53 PM
i agree with steve s. since you are back from a really long retirement, its not like you going be back out there banging the crap out of ball and stuff. it'll take you a while to break strings

09-14-2006, 08:41 PM
i agree with steve s. since you are back from a really long retirement, its not like you going be back out there banging the crap out of ball and stuff. it'll take you a while to break strings

Yeah, when I had my first hit a few months ago I thought i still had it in me - was hitting home runs and just could not get to the ball - you know that feeling : you are so sure you can reach that drop shot but your legs feel like lead. It nearly put me in a wheelchair the next day !

"The spirit is willing but the flesh was too weak"

But I'm getting better now

09-14-2006, 08:55 PM
Bought a 2 multi's and a poly so will start with the multi first and see how i go

The demo racquets I've been using have multis on them and they are ok so far

09-15-2006, 06:44 AM
So do you guys change your strings after a period of time when its lost that lovin feelin or do you wait till they break?

Punisha
09-15-2006, 07:27 AM
It depends how serious u wanna take tennis. Rule of thumb for recreatoin players is i think the amount of times you play a week... restring that many times in a year.

So 4 times a week 4 restrings. Depends on preferance i break strings much faster and can only pray my kevlar could last that long ><

jasonbourne
09-15-2006, 09:38 AM
You cannot be serious !!!, polys are difficult to snap unless you you're a hard, consistent ball striker in the sweetspot. Most quality polys can last up to 9hrs of consistent playability.

Multis' playability can last from 4-12hrs depending on which quality multi you use and the racket string density.

Sebastien
09-15-2006, 11:57 AM
Just a general question for all you multi and poly users out there.

I am back playing after 15+ years of retirement - social competitive tennis level.

When I was at my peak at 15 years old a string would last ages, and I didn't change them when they lost that loving feelin.

Now I'm reading these posts and people are changing their strings after 1-2 matchs, or after a week of play.

I've ordered some strings but am i really expecting them to break after a week?

You need constant hard hitting to break after 1-2 match like you say, but I don't think you are in this category because you are asking the question.

If you haven't play for 15 years, don't worry you won't break your strings for maybe 2 months or more. You may change them after 40hrs (general string max life expency) if you want because it would have lost the feeling like you say.

Poly will last you longer than multi but might be hard on your arm especially if you havn't play for a while.

09-16-2006, 02:39 AM
Thanks for the input peoples, I got scared for a minute there - its an expensive habit to change a string 2x per week, especially since I am loving the more expensive ones.

I play 3x per week and changing them every 4 months sounds reasonable, if i don't break them first.

I am starting to bash the ball now without hitting home runs :)

Am still waiting for my racquet to arrive !!!!!! - I bought it in Australia 3 days before i ordered the strings from TW USA and the strings arrived yesterday !!! Arrgh, been staring at the strings, imagining what it would feel like but can't play them....