PDA

View Full Version : switching from head i prestige mid

crash
09-14-2006, 09:07 PM
Hi,

I have been playing with a head i prestige mid for four years now, but it recently cracked and i decided it's time to switch. There are a few racquets I'm interested in and i'd like to have your opinions plzz. Head flexpoint prestige mid, head liquidmetal prestige mid(if i can find some), pro kennex redondo 93, volkl tour 10 v engine mid and volkl dnx 10 mid. Tell me what you think of these racquets plz and how they compare to i.prestige. If you have other racquets to suggest me, please do.

P.S i've tried wilson ncode ntour 90 and yonex rds 001 mid and didnt like them...

thx guys

Hewittfan22
09-14-2006, 10:07 PM
Hey crash i have tried rds 001 mid i really liked it, what didnt you like about it?
why dont you try prince diablo mid i really liked it when i tried it. it seems like you also like smaller head size racquets.
Do you hit with your forehand with western and hit lot of topspin or do you usually hit it flat? this factor plays huge role in what racquet you should play with.

crash
09-15-2006, 05:49 AM
It's hard to really describe what I didn't like with the rds 001 mid, its pretty much the feeling of the racquet when i hit the ball cause the rest is good. I'll take a look at the prince diablo mid thx for your suggestion. and considering my forehand i play mostly with a semi-western grip. i hit the majority of my forehands with topspin but i sometime unload on a flat one when going for a winner, dunno if that helps...

anirut
09-15-2006, 05:56 AM
PK Rendondo'll get the job done to your liking. Call it a hitman's weapon. Just get the right string and tension.

crash
09-15-2006, 06:56 AM
Yeah it looks to be an incredible racquet, but incredible enough to buy without demoing ??

harryz
09-15-2006, 07:01 AM
You might want to look at the standard Heritage C mid along with the Diablo as close replacements for the iPrestige. How about the 6.0 85?

anirut
09-15-2006, 07:27 AM
Crash,

I just took a risk and got the racket through Jonolau from Singapore, just be looking at the specs alone (and that 100% graphite selling point). I've become a Redondo Preacher as many might have thought by now.

The Redondo IS NOT available in Thailand. Even if it was available, I wouldn't be able to demo it as demo's not available here. I also have a PC600 and I prefer the Redondo.

Note that my stick's mod'ed a little.

crash
09-15-2006, 09:56 AM
Anirut,

you said you have a pc600 too, how does it compare to the redondo in terms of power, maneuverability, feel... ??

anirut
09-15-2006, 10:23 AM
To me only, that is, the PC600 was too sluggish. I don't know about others. The Redondo's nimble straight out of the box.

Power-wise I should say the PC600 has more bang. Certain.

Feel is very subjective, of course. The Redondo's more "raw" but soft. Doesn't feel like the solid 100% graphite of the old days. Some would say "hollow". To me I didn't feel it as hollow as many might have described. Subjective, of course.

Hollow or not it sure hits very solid shots. You can rip and play touch as you'd like. But supply the right power for your shots, please. It rewards proper strokes.

A pretty string & tension -sensitive racket. This, I think, may also depend on playing style. I play flats with occasional tops and I use simple synthetic at 61.5 lbs.

Note that my Super Redondo's now customized "right to the core" with foam. It's now 366 grams and 11 pts HL.; 3 grams at 19.5 cm from tip (adjusted this afternoon) and 10 grams in the handle at 7 cm from butt end.

Hope this helps.

carTW
09-15-2006, 05:28 PM
The Dunlop MFil-200 might be another option.

crash
09-15-2006, 05:37 PM
Thanks for your suggestion, i already demoed it and it played ok but not great, it was a little similar too my iprestige but not as good (thats my opinion i know its a good racquet).

Ulam
09-15-2006, 06:06 PM
My friend used to play with an i prestige mid but he is older now so he wanted an easier racquet to play with so he switched to my racquet the dunlop 300g. It is a little stiffer than the redondo 98 but feels nice. If the string pattern wasn't close I would have bought some.

tandayu
09-15-2006, 06:54 PM
Try i Prestige MP if you can find one from eb*y

La Bomba
09-16-2006, 03:37 AM
What about a Prostaff Tour 90?

crash
09-16-2006, 08:09 AM
i know it might sound weird, but i dont like any wilson racquets. everytime i tried one there was a little something that annoyed me. they were all a too stiff or hard to swing fast or i couldnt find the sweetspot... thats why i didnt include any wilson racquets in my choices, even though i know they make very good players racquets. Thanks for your suggestion

vsbabolat
09-16-2006, 09:24 AM
Crash,
A guy I practice with just switched from the i.Prestige midplus to the Flexpoint Prestige midplus. He really likes it and made no adjustments in the switch.

Coach Reed
09-16-2006, 09:55 AM
Crash-I played with the Volkl V-Engine tour 10 mid for about a year and loved it. It has a fairly low initial swingweight which makes it conducive to customizing. I customized it to 12.4 oz. and 324 swingweight. It is very flexible so you can really pound the ball and it will stay in. It was the first dense string pattern racquet I had played with and now I'm hooked. One of the best features about this racquet (and other Volkls with the sensor tour handle), is that it has a thin layer of techno gel that extends inside the length of the handle (between the two tubes). This dampens vibration a little, but you still get great feel. It is a very comfortable hitting sensation unique to Volkl's sensor tour design. Incidentally, I've since switched to the DNX 10 midplus (18X20). It's nice having a little bigger sweet spot, but the stiffer frame isn't as maneuverable, and is a little harder to control. I didn't bother trying the DNX 10 mid merely because it has an open string pattern, but I hear it is a solid racquet.

crash
09-18-2006, 11:02 AM
Thanks coach reed,

Those two volkls (vengine and dnx 10 mid) both seem to be very interesting racquets ill try to demo them if i find a way (only volkl seller is 200 miles away...) and the specs are kinda similar to the iprestige mid. only thing is i never hit with a volkl and i heard they have a very distinctive feel.