PDA

View Full Version : Best STring for Spin and control ?

Gor
09-14-2006, 11:32 PM
Well i play varsity at my highschool which ahs a big team, and lately I have not been really happy with my strokes. I figure it's time to upgrade on the strings, because obvious Help?ly i'm hitting just out or really out because i have lost a lot of tension in the strings. I was hoping you guys could give me any suggestions on strings that will give me 1. Top Spin, 2. Control, and 3. Power. Those are the main things i need. But i'm not going all the way to GUT. Just want some good strings. I ahve been looking at either the Tecnifibre or the Klip strings (both have reviews) but i don't know what there is otu there. Help?

bee_kha
09-14-2006, 11:41 PM
try the gamma fusion 19g. No worries, it will not break easily.
I started using it 3 years ago and have try many other strings
and the fusion simply stands out when it comes to spin and
control. Power is not bad. I have introduce the string to a few
of my tennis buddies and they all love it. Remember to string it
lower if you are currently using a synthetic.

Pusher
09-15-2006, 03:25 AM
Well i play varsity at my highschool which ahs a big team, and lately I have not been really happy with my strokes. I figure it's time to upgrade on the strings, because obvious Help?ly i'm hitting just out or really out because i have lost a lot of tension in the strings. I was hoping you guys could give me any suggestions on strings that will give me 1. Top Spin, 2. Control, and 3. Power. Those are the main things i need. But i'm not going all the way to GUT. Just want some good strings. I ahve been looking at either the Tecnifibre or the Klip strings (both have reviews) but i don't know what there is otu there. Help?

Top spin is a technique issue. If you have little of it with the cheapest synthetic you will have little with gut or the most expensive multifilament.

Regarding control and power-see above.

The type of string you use, in my opinion, has about as much impact on your game as your choice of which shirt to wear. That won't be a popular opinion among many-including the string manufacturers.

There is a lot of BS in the stringing industry and among teaching pros. Most of the pros I know suggest a base level string and I believe they do it because less money spent on strings means more money for lessons. String manufacturers claim more exotic strings improve your game and proceed to make a claim for your tennis money. But then I'm a natural cynic.

But I have experimented with a lot of string using my 16 yr old son as a guinea pig. Like you, he is a competetive junior and I have looked for short-cuts to improve his game. I've found there are none. There is no substitute for good coaching and practice.

My rule of thumb regarding strings-buy cheap and restring often. Sometimes "often" can mean as often as twice a week-depending on playing time. At the other end of the spectrum you can buy expensive and string occassionally.

But to answer your question. Most of the base synthetics offerred by the name brands are pretty good. I use Babolat Conquest 17ga but that is just my personal preference. Keep them fresh, restring after 4 or 5 hours.

if you insist on getting expensive strings then I would go with a poly/main, gut/cross hybrid. They last longer than synthetics so the actual cost is not a lot more than the cheap stuff. I would use babolat hurricane tour mains and VS gut crosses. Again, that is my personal preference and reflects my own bias.

I suspect I gave you more answer than you required-sorry about that. Hope it helps.