PDA

View Full Version : Redondo vs Other new sticks

thejuice
09-15-2006, 10:59 AM
Hello fellow TWers, I have been courting with the idea of getting an O3 Hybrid Tour or DNX 9 to see how they stack up to my beloved Redondo. Since the O3 HT isn't out yet, I decided to demo (about a 30 minute session per racquet with a 4.5 level player) the DNX 9, DNX 10 Mid, and the O3 Mid. All I was able to do was hit groudstrokes and volleys so I can't compare these racquets to the Redondo when it comes to serves.

DNX 9:
Because of the buzz on this board I couldn't wait to try this one so I decided to hit with it first. I can say that there wasn't much I liked about it. Maybe it's just me but this frame was hard to like on groundstrokes. I hit some really nice 1HBH but they were mixed in with some strokes that would fall in the service box. It felt way too underpowered to be a lighter stick. Some lead would be great with this stick. It was a really good stick on volleys but nothing that made me say WOW. Overall it was okay but nothing I see myself buying.
DNX 9 vs. Redondo MP = Redondo easily takes this one.

DNX 10 Mid:
I had previously hit with the Midplus and, like the DNX 9, thought that it was okay but there wasn't anything that made me say wow. The Mid is a totally different animal. I really like the Mid on groundies as well as volleys. You can immediately feel its static weight when you first pick it up but it swings much lighter and really hits heavy balls without much effort. Everything was deep in the court (and very much so in play). Topspin was easy for me to generate even though it has an 18x20 pattern. I even thought it was really nice on volleys as well. It isn't as maneuverable as the Redondo but it wasn't hard to work with it either. All around great stick.
DNX 10 Mid vs. RedondoMP = Redondo, but by a small margin

O3 Tour Mid:
I actually used to own a couple of O3 Tour MPs and was expecting to get a similar feel out of the Mid. Again, like the DNX 10, I was wrong. Prince went back and made a much better frame with the O3 Mid. It hit deep balls like the DNX 10 Mid (not quite as heavy though) and also has a great swingweight. I thought the feel was the best of the three I demoed as I knew exactly what the ball was going to do. Mishits still went in the right direction of the intended shot and with some pace. It was definitely not as powerful as the Midplus, which is a great thing. It didn't volley as well as the Volkls but it wasn't a slouch by any means. I think this stick was made for baseliners that come to the net every once in a while.
O3 Tour Mid vs. Redondo MP = Redondo

So, what I came up in my hour and a half of hitting was that I think I have one of the best frames available today. I don't regret owning three Redondos and I think I may even try a couple of Redondo Mids. I think that would be the only frame that would compete with the Mid+.

anirut
09-15-2006, 11:25 AM
Juice, thanks for the comparisons.

I was looking at the O3 Tour too and was even thinking of giving it a try (by buying it). You've saved me a lot of money! Thanks, man!

Guess I'd better stock up on the Redondo ...

BreakPoint
09-15-2006, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the great review, juice! :D

A few comments:

1. Volkls are sort of an acquired taste. Some people will love the "Volkl feel" while others will never really get accustomed to it.

2. The DNX 10 Mid actually has a 16x19 string pattern (The MP has the 18x20 pattern).

3. I also liked the O3 Tour Mid more than the MP. Really large sweetspot and it made it easy to get the ball back consistently. However, the feel is too weird for me and I thought the stringbed was too trampoline-like so that control wasn't exactly pinpoint.

4. D*mn, I really need to try that Redondo!! ;) I've been on the waiting list for a demo for like 3 weeks and my date keeps getting pushed back for some reason. :(

sigep1967
09-15-2006, 12:35 PM
Just go ahead and buy it Breakpoint you won't regret it:mrgreen:

BreakPoint
09-15-2006, 12:54 PM
Just go ahead and buy it Breakpoint you won't regret it:mrgreen:

I was thinking of it but TW has been sold out of the Mids for a long time, and it may be mid-Oct before they get more in. :(

sigep1967
09-15-2006, 12:58 PM
check around they are out there.:p even saw one on the bay site

thejuice
09-15-2006, 01:37 PM
2. The DNX 10 Mid actually has a 16x19 string pattern (The MP has the 18x20 pattern).

BP, you're right. I went to hit it again on my lunch break and I counted the mains and crosses and realized I was wrong. I still feel the same about it. It is a great stick. If I wasn't already in love (with the Redondo) then I would definitely do a more extensive demo and maybe buy a couple.