PDA

View Full Version : Pro Players' Racquet history

Tennis Man
09-15-2006, 10:42 AM
any1 knows where I can get it?

I'd like to know how often the pros switched their racquets and why (even if it's along the same line). Someone like Lendl, Becker, Sampras (I know he loved just his PS 85), Agassi, Federer, etc?

I can't believe that Carlos Moya played with soft drive? WTF?

neo
09-16-2006, 01:56 PM
I'd like to see that too.

Jesse K.
09-16-2006, 06:01 PM
Great idea for a thread...bring on the histroy people!!

Duzza
09-16-2006, 06:17 PM
Hmm it's hard because of the amount of paintjobs. For example:
Agassi : POG, Head Radical, Ti Radical, i. Radical, LM Radical, FXP radical
but in real terms
Agassi : POG, Head Radical

Duzza
09-16-2006, 06:18 PM
I know that federer used a Prostaff Original 85 in his junior years up until he became noticed. Then moved to the Prostaff Tour 90, Hyper 90 or whatever it was, Ncode.

vsbabolat
09-16-2006, 06:28 PM
Hmm it's hard because of the amount of paintjobs. For example:
Agassi : POG, Head Radical, Ti Radical, i. Radical, LM Radical, FXP radical
but in real terms
Agassi : POG, Head Radical
Duzza, you forgot the Donnay Pro One oversize Agassi used from 1989-1993.

Duzza
09-17-2006, 05:51 AM
whoopsies.

Tennis Man
09-17-2006, 06:15 AM
Wow, we got real tennis historians here. Thank You.

Duzza
09-17-2006, 06:17 AM
lol yeah, i'm 16 years old.. sorry just know a bit about agassi :P

thelimfactor
09-17-2006, 07:02 AM
ok here goes:

Pat Cash:
1. Slazenger wood racquet (up til end of 1984 (including during loss in US open semi to Lendl)
2. Prince Magnesium Pro (from 1985 to 1998)
3. Yonex R-50 (the blue raqcuet)
4. Yonex RQ 180 (the grey one)
Retired
5. Volkl (some yellow one?)

Lendl
1. Adidas (the grey one, with a really long throat)
2. Mizuno (dunno model name)
Retired
3. Golf Clubs

Sorry don't know exact model names of all!;)

AndrewD
09-17-2006, 07:24 AM
ok here goes:

Pat Cash:
1. Slazenger wood racquet (up til end of 1984 (including during loss in US open semi to Lendl)
Retired

Before the Slazenger V-24 (midsize wood composite), Cash used the Stellar Centre Court (traditional size wooden racquet) and prior to that he used a Slazenger traditional size wooden frame. Before the Mag Pro he used a midsize Prince wood composite frame that many claim to be the ProKennex Golden Ace with Prince decals. After Yonex he used a number of different racquets, two of which were the Fischer model used by Stich and Masur and the Head Prestige. The Volkl frames he has played are the T10mp Gen1, T10mp Gen2, T10mp V-engine, DNX10 mp.

After winning Wimbledon, Cash switched to the R-50 to get more power and beef up his groundstrokes. Got him to the quarters of the French Open but I don't think it was a good move.

brinkeguthrie
09-17-2006, 10:22 AM
ok here goes:

Pat Cash:
Retired

Lendl
1. Adidas (the grey one, with a really long throat)
2. Mizuno (dunno model name)
Retired
3. Golf Clubs

Sorry don't know exact model names of all!;)

I thiunk the Lendl was the GTX-Pro for Adidas. before that, tho, it was Kneissel.

Hessam
09-17-2006, 12:53 PM
Lendel used the same Kniesel mold throughout his career. Kniesel sold the mold to adidas, and when he went to Mizzuno, Adidas sold the mold to Mizzuno for an undisclosed amount.

This is still true with some players. Look at Dunlop selling Blake's old mold to prince.

Ben42
09-18-2006, 12:42 PM
Although Mizuno did make him a racquet from the Kniessel mold he used a different Mizuno at the end of his career. One with a larger head.

http://editorial.gettyimages.com/source/search/details_pop.aspx?iid=1081872&cdi=0

galain
09-18-2006, 02:48 PM
Thomas Martinez did a brilliant job a few years ago where he wrote a series of posts called "Racquets of the Pros" looking at the movements between frames and companies of the various players.

He also did another fantastic job with his "Bloodlines" series - about the development of particular racquet models. This was back on the old board though - not sure if that's still accessible. I thought at the time - and still do - that these were some of the best things ever posted to TW.

Thomas is my hero - even if he does wear a skirt from time to time!

Tennis Man
09-18-2006, 03:17 PM
Thomas Martinez did a brilliant job a few years ago where he wrote a series of posts called "Racquets of the Pros" looking at the movements between frames and companies of the various players.

He also did another fantastic job with his "Bloodlines" series - about the development of particular racquet models. This was back on the old board though - not sure if that's still accessible. I thought at the time - and still do - that these were some of the best things ever posted to TW.

Thomas is my hero - even if he does wear a skirt from time to time!

Could you please post any links, a summary or something?

Tennis Man
09-18-2006, 03:19 PM
is this it?

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/archive/index.php/f-37.html

galain
09-18-2006, 03:26 PM
No. These posts were all on the old TW board - well before it moved to this new standard bulltein board format. I don't know how you'd find them. The wayback machine perhaps?

thomas martinez
09-18-2006, 06:47 PM
Lendl did historically on grass use the bigger head for the grass courts. Even at the end of his career. When he was with Mizuno, it wasn't that they got the Adidas mold, but Mizuno designed a mold off his Adidas frame. He also laterly used a Bosworth designed 10 sided frame that Mizuno made for him since he was a longtime Bosworth client.
And what is wrong with wearing a skirt? Us Irish and us goth do that from time to time!

galain
09-18-2006, 08:55 PM
Heh! You shoulda seen me in all my gothic finery earlier this year mate. I was part of Australia's biggest Goth fashion parade in March. Great fun. You should come over for it one year.

PS - leave me an email if you'd like to see some photos of the parade.

armand
09-18-2006, 09:18 PM
Although Mizuno did make him a racquet from the Kniessel mold he used a different Mizuno at the end of his career. One with a larger head.

http://editorial.gettyimages.com/source/search/details_pop.aspx?iid=1081872&cdi=0Pants?! And a vest too? It was June!

Hewittfan22
09-19-2006, 12:39 AM
Hewitt used POG in his junior years, then when he came on the tour he got sponsored by Yonex so he started with Super rd tour 90 in fact that is what he is still using right now
(paint job of course) then Yonex Rd-ti 50 when he won us open with then Mp tour-1 racquet he won wimbledon with, then it was RDX 500 then RDS001, but Rd-ti 50 never had in 90sq in version.

Duzza
09-19-2006, 03:52 AM
Hewitt used POG in his junior years, then when he came on the tour he got sponsored by Yonex so he started with Super rd tour 90 in fact that is what he is still using right now
(paint job of course) then Yonex Rd-ti 50 when he won us open with then Mp tour-1 racquet he won wimbledon with, then it was RDX 500 then RDS001, but Rd-ti 50 never had in 90sq in version.
POG OS or MP?

thomas martinez
09-19-2006, 04:14 AM
It was a Graphite mid, and it's little known that Yonex also had him try MP-1 90s, adn even had him with RD-Ti 70 cosmetic, which never made it past the practice court, nor did the MP-1. He thought the 70 cosmetic was too showyor something like that, dont' remember the exact reason. And Galin, yeah, I'd love to see them and that's just the excuse needed to go down to Oz, since I've never been. Though I cannot send you a mail wihtout an address! :) Mine is drivemehrd@aol.com

Richie Rich
09-19-2006, 05:31 AM
It was a Graphite mid, and it's little known that Yonex also had him try MP-1 90s, adn even had him with RD-Ti 70 cosmetic, which never made it past the practice court, nor did the MP-1. He thought the 70 cosmetic was too showyor something like that, dont' remember the exact reason. And Galin, yeah, I'd love to see them and that's just the excuse needed to go down to Oz, since I've never been. Though I cannot send you a mail wihtout an address! :) Mine is drivemehrd@aol.com
ti-70 cosmetic too flashy and then he gets the rds neon yellow PJ? the ti-70 PJ is plain compared to the rds

caesar66
09-19-2006, 05:39 AM
Not really a list or anything, but if you go to GettyImages.com and search under sports section for the player's name and a certain year you can usually find pics. I found pics of Moya back when he was w/ prince by searching this way.

Tennis Man
09-19-2006, 05:56 AM
Not really a list or anything, but if you go to GettyImages.com and search under sports section for the player's name and a certain year you can usually find pics. I found pics of Moya back when he was w/ prince by searching this way.

Yeah, but you forgetting about paint jobs. Not everyone can tell what is real and what's a PJ.

Ronaldo
09-19-2006, 06:07 AM
Tried that and could only go back two years, 36 pages of pics. Moya used a Pure Control but before it had that woofer system.

thomas martinez
09-19-2006, 10:18 AM
Nope, Carlos never used the Pure Control in any of its forms. When he came to Babolat, he started to use the Soft Drive, which he had weighted to be like his old Prince Synergry Lite MP. When they went to teh Woofer Line, he was using the Pure Drive without Woofer, still with the weighting of the Synergy, and which he is still using to this day.

Ronaldo
09-19-2006, 11:31 AM
Nope, Carlos never used the Pure Control in any of its forms. When he came to Babolat, he started to use the Soft Drive, which he had weighted to be like his old Prince Synergry Lite MP. When they went to teh Woofer Line, he was using the Pure Drive without Woofer, still with the weighting of the Synergy, and which he is still using to this day.
Thanks, I think. That old PC plays a bit different than the woofer series in all its incarnations, prefer the old one from the 90s.

thomas martinez
09-19-2006, 12:05 PM
Well, the original Pure Control as played originally by Kenneth Carlsson, Sebastien Laureau, and Richie Reneberg was more or less at the time a competitior of the Pro Tour by Head. It was a 630 Head, and had an 18 x 20 pattern with a 19mm or so flat beam. It was made out of teh Donnay Pro One midsize mold more or less.

Ronaldo
09-19-2006, 03:07 PM
Not sure if this is the original, no woofer, bought it new in Montreal.

BaseLineBash
09-19-2006, 07:12 PM
Maria Sharapova: Head Prestige, Prince Hornet, Prince More Attack, Prince Shark, Prince O3. Andy Roddick also used the POG OS and a Yamaha.

emcee
09-19-2006, 08:15 PM
Mac:

Wooden Maxply
His brother's Max 200G
Yet calls for a return to wood.

OrangeOne
09-19-2006, 08:24 PM
Pants?! And a vest too? It was June!

But it was June in ENGLAND, and let's face it, that's like winter anywhere else 90% of the time :).

As for me - I noticed the deep knee bend and eyes-on-the-ball ;)

jura
09-19-2006, 09:22 PM
Mac:

Wooden Maxply
His brother's Max 200G
Yet calls for a return to wood.
Before the Maxply it was a Wilson Jack Kramer and rumors say, that his wooden Dunlops were only pj's of the Jack Kramer.
At the end of his career he was trying a lot of different frames for short times: Völkl TR 25, Yonex R-23 (I think was this number, the one Gomez played) and I think there was also a Prestige.
After he retired he used a Völkl C10, then switched to a Dunlop 200G and now he's using a Maxply McEnroe (the graphite retro-model).

jura
09-19-2006, 09:34 PM
One of the biggest "switchers":
Felix Mantilla
Wilson PS 6.1
Prince Precision Graphite II Longbody
Völkl C10 x-tended
Völkl Quantum 8
Völkl Catapult V1
Völkl Tour 8
Völkl Tour 8 V-Engine
Völkl BB 10

jura
09-19-2006, 09:37 PM
Jimmy Connors:
Wilson T-2000
Wilson T-2000
Wilson T-2000
Wilson T-2000
Wilson T-2000
Wilson Pro Staff Original
Wilson T-2000
Wilson T-2000
Slazenger Panther Pro Ceramic
Slazenger Phantom 90
Estusa ???
Prince Precision Mono (which he is still using!!!)

jura
09-19-2006, 09:48 PM
Martina Hingis:
Völkl AeroLite (or something like this)
Yonex RD-7
Yonex SRQ 500
Yonex SRD Tour 95
Yonex Pro RD 70 Long (or something like this)
Yonex RQ 700 Ti
Yonex Ultimum Ti Super RQ 1700
Yonex MP-5i HS
Yonex V-Con 17
Yonex RDX 300
Yonex NS RQ 7 Tour
Yonex RQS 11

Ronaldo
09-19-2006, 11:12 PM
Martina Hingis:
Völkl AeroLite (or something like this)
Yonex RD-7
Yonex SRQ 500
Yonex SRD Tour 95
Yonex Pro RD 70 Long (or something like this)
Yonex URQ Ti something (the silver/burgundy racket)
Yonex URQ 1200 (was it that number? a white racket)
one more white Yonex
Yonex V-Con 17
Yonex RDX 300
Yonex NS RQ 7 Tour
Yonex RQS 11
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/RQ700TI/RQ700TIReview.html
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/1700/1700Review.html
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/YMP5H/YMP5HReview.html

Tennis Man
09-26-2006, 11:15 AM
here's some more ... history:

http://users.telerama.com/~johnv/tennis/tennis21.htm

jura
09-28-2006, 08:27 PM
here's some more ... history:

http://users.telerama.com/~johnv/tennis/tennis21.htm
But this page only says which paint was on the rackets. Lot of them are not correct.
BTW: I think, that Moya uses a Soft Drive is a myth. Maybe he did, but I can't believe. His actual frame has a stiffness of RA 72! That's not soft.