PDA

View Full Version : losing tension

tennisuniverse
09-15-2006, 11:14 AM
I have strung my first racquet few days ago and all was good except one thing - after I finished I checked the strings and it seems that the tension wasn't so good I wanted 58 but for some reason it was too loose.
Can you tell me please what to do so it won't happen again?
Thanks

Sebastien
09-15-2006, 11:21 AM
I have strung my first racquet few days ago and all was good except one thing - after I finished I checked the strings and it seems that the tension wasn't so good I wanted 58 but for some reason it was too loose.
Thanks

What kind of machine: electric or weight

Did you make sure the string wasn't sliding in your clamp?
Did you use your pike to lock the string before your knots?

Was it with the same string you were playing with before or a new string that you are not use to? because if you were playing 58 with full poly and now 58 with multi, you might feel a noticeble difference.

mucat
09-15-2006, 11:34 AM
What's the previous tension on the racket? And what racket is that?

tennisuniverse
09-15-2006, 11:56 AM
My machine is Gamma x-2(drop weight).
The string wasn't sliding but:

"Did you use your pike to lock the string before your knots?"
What you mean? because I think that might be the problem.

It's almost the same string as my previous and the tension is the same.

I also want to ask about stringing the mains:
when I start with one piece stringing I tension one main string in the left and one in the right(I mean the mains) and I'm keeping doing that until I finish to string the mains. Is that ok? doesn't damage the frame or something?

Sebastien
09-15-2006, 01:47 PM
With your drop weight make sure that the counter-weight is floating unsuring proper tensioning (as oppose to stopped by the drop stop, the little thingy that stop the weight from going any lower)

"Did you use your pike to lock the string before your knots?"
What you mean? because I think that might be the problem.

look here http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=118420
the second picture with the knot, you will see that you insert your pike before making the knot to make sure proper tensioning until the end of the job.

when I start with one piece stringing I tension one main string in the left and one in the right(I mean the mains) and I'm keeping doing that until I finish to string the mains. Is that ok? doesn't damage the frame or something?

I don't know what you mean.

Nar57981
09-15-2006, 02:05 PM

i think thats fine...but i do 3 or 2 at a time, i think it saves a little time (just don't do an entire side at once ><)

CheapStrings
09-15-2006, 02:10 PM
Thanks
How did you check the tension? By pinging, hitting with the racquet, or measuring it with a stringometer?

The actual tension is always going to be less than the reference tension (the tension you set your stringing machine at). This ALWAYS the case.