PDA

View Full Version : Babolat Tonic+

300Gkid
09-15-2006, 05:26 PM
How does this string compare to other, more expensive (VS, ect) guts? I am thinking about hybriding it with a synthetic gut in my 300G (with the 300G i can't afford any more of a harsh feel so poly is out of the question). Also, whatever gut i decide on, should i put it in the mains or crosses?

vbtennis99
09-15-2006, 05:41 PM
the tonic is a pretty good natural gut. I would recommend putting in the crosses.

dozu
09-15-2006, 06:20 PM
How does this string compare to other, more expensive (VS, ect) guts? I am thinking about hybriding it with a synthetic gut in my 300G (with the 300G i can't afford any more of a harsh feel so poly is out of the question). Also, whatever gut i decide on, should i put it in the mains or crosses?

put in the mains of course... you get the playability mostly from the mains. also the gut lasts longer in the mains.

if you never used gut before, make sure you string 2-3 lbs tighter than your normal tension with poly or syngut. especially with a tweener frame in the 300g.

300Gkid
09-15-2006, 06:34 PM
so i wont be losing much by not getting a more expensive gut?

If so, i could go a bit more expensive on the crosses (or mains), i was thinking a synthetic gut, but now i think i may step it up, i was looking at soft poly's and i was interested in SPPP, Gosen Polyon, Head Ultra Tour, Prince Poly Gut, Topspin Poly Polar, and Bab. Pro Hurricane. What do u think of these? Should i go for one, or stick with a synthetic? or something else? Thanks in advance

iscottius
09-15-2006, 07:21 PM
300g kid,
tonic + is very nice, you won't loose much if anything over vs, another good choice is Klip legend, but I prefer tonic for durability

300Gkid
09-16-2006, 02:19 PM
Now that i've decided on Tonic.

so whats the verdict, a synthetic gut or a soft poly? (suggestions of whichever one u choose please)

And whichever one i get should i put it in the mains or crosses? (Tonic in the other)

jackson vile
09-16-2006, 02:53 PM

It is very heavy so consider that, it is funny because I have never heard of something like that before LOL It will increase the SW so consider that, I found that it lost tension also, so if you like your string to stay crisp string it higher.

In my LMP+ is notched and did not move around, it snaped in and out of place just like a poly. IMO it seemed a lot thicker than 16g seemed more like 15g as it looked large than any other string i have ever used, and you can feel that it is larger also.

I would only use this string again if strung higher, and if the string was thiner

jackson vile
09-16-2006, 02:56 PM
Now that i've decided on Tonic.

so whats the verdict, a synthetic gut or a soft poly? (suggestions of whichever one u choose please)

And whichever one i get should i put it in the mains or crosses? (Tonic in the other)

You have to decide how long you want to be able to use the string for, or do you break strings on a regular basis?

Then you have to ask youself if you prefer softer or stiffer string.

If you break strings fast then tension is not a concern, if you leave them in for a month or longer than you need a poly that is not going to go noodle on you.

300Gkid
09-16-2006, 03:39 PM
i dont break strings very quickly, my ave. during the summer is a month for POSG 17. The 300G is already fairly harsh so i would prefer a softer string although i do like the bite of poly, i'm now thinking a very soft poly would do the trick. Any suggestions?

Also, not to doubt you Jackson as i know you are quite knowledgeable (dam i spelled that wrong), but has anyone else experienced the issues he did with the Tonic? (Check his post for issues) And if so, how is Klip Legend in this regard?

Valjean
09-17-2006, 03:36 AM
The gut world has a unique rule to me--when it costs less, it is less. VS is discernably better; your question is, can you tell if it is, or does it matter to you? This is complicated when what you're dealing with is a hybrid combination where the gut is not so apparent and going to be.

Tonic+ can be less durable, and like most of the lesser ones, it has a tougher feel.

As for durability and string movement--if you're concerned about that, put string savers in to start with and limit the sawing effect.

You shouldn't resort to a poly if you aren't breaking everything less durable in something like a day or two; it's that bad for the arm and shoulder. And yes, the gut should go in the mains. You need to think, though, about what synthetic to use then.

Richie Rich
09-17-2006, 03:57 AM
The gut world has a unique rule to me--when it costs less, it is less.
i've found that too - you really do get what you pay for. that being said VS is a little overpriced. i prefer klip out of all the guts i've tried.

to the OP, don't waste your money putting gut in the crosses. put gut in the mains to get the best qualities out of it.

300Gkid
09-17-2006, 05:20 AM
ok, i guess i'll get the Klip then. What synthetic would you suggest?

I dont know though, i've heard good things about SPPP, and it wouldn't be bad to add some durability to the gut.

Richie Rich
09-17-2006, 06:03 AM
ok, i guess i'll get the Klip then. What synthetic would you suggest?

I dont know though, i've heard good things about SPPP, and it wouldn't be bad to add some durability to the gut.

a lot of people on the board hybrid gut with og sheep micro syn gut - which makes the string job pretty cheap. for a poly the SPPP is a decent choice because it does hold tension fairly well - better than most poly's.

if you want a good klip packaged hybrid try the gut/k-boom for $20. i've also used klip screamer (gut/titanium coated syb gut) and liked it.

you might want to buy some string savers and put them in when the gut starts to fray - they will extend the life of the gut.

vinnier6
09-17-2006, 06:25 AM
why not just go for a full gut set up....

Valjean
09-17-2006, 06:48 AM
300Gkid, Babolat's Conquest synthetic gut even comes in half sets. If you're not willing to trust the string savers exclusively--and if you're at all prone to off-center hitting--you might even try the titanium-coated version.

That's all here: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/BabolatString.html.

jackson vile
09-17-2006, 12:31 PM
300Gkid, Babolat's Conquest synthetic gut even comes in half sets. If you're not willing to trust the string savers exclusively--and if you're at all prone to off-center hitting--you might even try the titanium-coated version.

That's all here: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/BabolatString.html.

Why do you recomend this string? does it hold tension?

jackson vile
09-17-2006, 12:33 PM
a lot of people on the board hybrid gut with og sheep micro syn gut - which makes the string job pretty cheap. for a poly the SPPP is a decent choice because it does hold tension fairly well - better than most poly's.

if you want a good klip packaged hybrid try the gut/k-boom for $20. i've also used klip screamer (gut/titanium coated syb gut) and liked it.

you might want to buy some string savers and put them in when the gut starts to fray - they will extend the life of the gut.

How is the tension holding for the micro?

The OP has to decide if he wants the poly to be lower powered ie a lux, but is stiffer or a higher powered softer poly ie polar or cyber with polar being softest.

300Gkid
09-17-2006, 02:38 PM
i am looking for a softer, more powerful poly (i think), im not sure luxilion would be so good for my arm, i really want to avoid injury, maybe with a more comfortable racquet...... i'll check out polar and cyber

Richie Rich
09-17-2006, 03:20 PM
i am looking for a softer, more powerful poly (i think), im not sure luxilion would be so good for my arm, i really want to avoid injury, maybe with a more comfortable racquet...... i'll check out polar and cyber

poly polar is really bad at maintaining tension. trouble with using gut mains is that gut retains tension the best. everything else will lose tension faster, especially poly. result will be a really soft string bed after a few hours and then you have to decide - is it worth cutting out good gut because the poly lost tension?

do a search on the boards for a good tension retaining syn gut or a multi like wilson reaction. i bought a racquet from someone on the boards at TW and it came with gut mains and laserfibre crosses and it played really well and retained tension.

jackson vile
09-17-2006, 04:51 PM
poly polar is really bad at maintaining tension. trouble with using gut mains is that gut retains tension the best. everything else will lose tension faster, especially poly. result will be a really soft string bed after a few hours and then you have to decide - is it worth cutting out good gut because the poly lost tension?

do a search on the boards for a good tension retaining syn gut or a multi like wilson reaction. i bought a racquet from someone on the boards at TW and it came with gut mains and laserfibre crosses and it played really well and retained tension.

Everyone says that it was addressed and now holds tension much better, further you can string the crosses higher than usual with anticipation of a drop.

The number one concern here seems to be poly that is soft

Also you could always us SPPP in the 18g

Richie Rich
09-17-2006, 05:09 PM
Everyone says that it was addressed and now holds tension much better, further you can string the crosses higher than usual with anticipation of a drop.

The number one concern here seems to be poly that is soft

Also you could always us SPPP in the 18g

even if the tension issue has been addressed i'm hard pressed to put poly in the cross - very few retain good playability after 20 hours. i've yet to put my set of SPPP in to try - it's up next so we'll see if it's better at holding tension than the other poly's

i'm not saying no one should put poly in their crosses - everyone is different. the OP might like this set up the best. but it just doesn't make sense to me.

jackson vile
09-17-2006, 05:29 PM
even if the tension issue has been addressed i'm hard pressed to put poly in the cross - very few retain good playability after 20 hours. i've yet to put my set of SPPP in to try - it's up next so we'll see if it's better at holding tension than the other poly's

i'm not saying no one should put poly in their crosses - everyone is different. the OP might like this set up the best. but it just doesn't make sense to me.

So you're saying Roger is a moron? LOL j/k

I understand what you are saying and I also fear putting tension losing strings in the corsses, I hate squashed rackets as they play like ...... you know!:rolleyes:

Richie Rich
09-17-2006, 05:33 PM
So you're saying Roger is a moron? LOL j/k

us regular guys can't afford to restring every day like Fed does. well, i could but i'd have to explain to the kids where their education fund went.

300Gkid
09-18-2006, 01:23 PM
ok, i feel i definitley need a string that is soft (if its a poly) and holds tension well. I'm looking at SPPP 17 for a poly (heard it keeps tension very well) but i dont know what to look for, for a synthetic, any suggestions?

volleyman
09-19-2006, 08:19 AM
I use Gosen OG Sheep Micro crosses with gut mains. I get excellent longevity and playability, especially with string savers, out of this set up.

jackson vile
09-19-2006, 09:15 AM
I use Gosen OG Sheep Micro crosses with gut mains. I get excellent longevity and playability, especially with string savers, out of this set up.

Does the gosen hold tension well?

jackson vile
09-19-2006, 09:16 AM
ok, i feel i definitley need a string that is soft (if its a poly) and holds tension well. I'm looking at SPPP 17 for a poly (heard it keeps tension very well) but i dont know what to look for, for a synthetic, any suggestions?

You would want to go for one that is soft and holds tension, you could try NXT OS as that will be soft but hold tension?

fastdunn
09-19-2006, 09:59 AM
us regular guys can't afford to restring every day like Fed does. well, i could but i'd have to explain to the kids where their education fund went.

Note even a day. Roger changes racquet every 4 games or less...

predrag
09-19-2006, 11:03 AM

Ditto here.

I never understood why people go for so called soft multis.
Tonic/Gosen hybrid is 3 times better than any of these.
Plus, in Mid I actually do not break strings often.

Predrag